PDA

View Full Version : Flying a twin whilst doing your CPL skills. Whats the verdict?

ILS27R
26th Mar 2002, 13:23
I've noticed that a few schools such as BAe Jerez only offer the modular CPL skills course on a twin.. .. .Why don't they offer the same course but on a complex single instead- like Oxford? What are the advantages of doing the course on a twin??. .. .I can see one possible disadvantage, if you fail the skills test or need more hours it will cost loads more compared to doing it on a single.. .. .Any thoughts on this subject?. .. .Cheers,. .. .ILS27R

Dutchie
26th Mar 2002, 13:43
Hi there,. .. .I did my CPL on a complex single (beech sierra) at Professional Air Training at Bournemouth. Straight after that Idid my my ME on a Duchess which I then continued flying for the ME IR. I got some additional ours twin by doing it that way while keeping the CPL flying straight forward.. .. .For me that worked well. Doing a twin CPL seems a bit over the top but maybe the airline customers of BAE like it?

mad_jock
26th Mar 2002, 15:27
I am currently in the middle of doing a twin cpl.. .. .To be honest the reason why i am doing it is because the twin is only 400 quid more than doing the course in a complex. . .. .The test is slightly different to a single cpl you don't have to do PFL's or glide to lands. But you also have single engine circuits to do.. .. .I find the twin easier to do Nav on because the cougar has a nose down attitude and there isn't a engine in the way. Some people say the speed is the issue but as the cougar does 125 in the cruise it is comparable to an Archer.. .. .MJ

ElNino
26th Mar 2002, 18:08
Because Jerez don't have any complex singles.

Gin Slinger
26th Mar 2002, 18:12
m_j - whereabouts are you doing it? There aren't that many places I've seen that combine CPL with MEP (this is the case with you, right?)

mad_jock
26th Mar 2002, 18:57
Doing it at leeds flying school.. .. .<a href="http://www.leedsflyingschool.co.uk/" target="_blank">http://www.leedsflyingschool.co.uk/</a>. .. .Both the instructors are MEP examiners as well.. .. .I am not doing the combined mep/cpl because I had to complete the mep before sitting the IR. So now i am doing the 15 hour cpl.. .. .The reason for doing the IR first was many due to bad wx in leeds, but as it turns out it actually makes the whole lot cheaper doing the IR first.. .. .MJ

mad_jock
27th Mar 2002, 00:11
Spoke to the instructor this afternoon about 28hr cpl/mep and unless you have had exposure to twins before he says that it is a bit of a struggle. . .. .But they do allow you to upgrade some of your single hrs to twin hours.. .. .The IR course is 25 sim, 5 single and 25 twin. So there is no problem just doing 15hrs CPL on the twin.. .. .MJ

clear prop!!!
30th Mar 2002, 02:38
MJ. .. .How come you're doing your CPL when your profile states that you have a FATPL and an FI rating?. .. .If you are converting from a non JAA State it should be hours as required and not the full course.