PDA

View Full Version : R22 simulator London

theraingod
7th Apr 2003, 16:06
Can anyone recommend a R22 simulator in the London (UK) area to practice auto's?

CRAN
7th Apr 2003, 20:52
IMHO I think you would be poorly advised to use a simulator for this purpose. Due to the highly simplistic way in which the rotor/aircraft aerodynamics have to be modelled for real-time simulations correlation with the true behaviour can be poor. Therefore, you will find significant differences between the simulated behaviour and the behaviour of the real machine.

I think you would be better off spending your money on the real thing.

NOTE: There are many areas of helicopter training, in which the use of a simulator would be a valuable aid to training, but I don't think autorotations is one of them.

CRAN

PS: If you are looking for an R22 simulator, the only one that I know of is Prof. Gareth Padfield's at Liverpool university. I believe one of the helicopter operators at Liverpool airport has a contract to carry out flight training in it.

Shawn Coyle
8th Apr 2003, 04:22
The only other 'simulator' I am aware of that could be used for autorotations, although only for the basics, is the Fly-It, and it is currently undergoing JAA approval.
Once approved, the folks who manufacture and represent the thing in Europe will be getting them into the UK, but where exactly is not known.

8th Apr 2003, 05:58
Make sure it's truly realistic and rolls over a lot;)

Vfrpilotpb
8th Apr 2003, 17:28
If your not going to fly then use a stimulator sorry simulator, but if you are intending to fly the R22 for real, get in the real thing and then you may start to realise why that is the only way to practice for the bad day/event, probaly the cheaper way also! ;)

theraingod
8th Apr 2003, 18:00
Thanks for the help, I was having some problems with the auto's (180's, hovering... Ect) and just wanted some extra practice without the pressure of the ground rushing up.

But as if it is so unlife like as CRAN has said then it may be a waste of time.....

CRAN
8th Apr 2003, 19:29
Sorry to rain on your bonfire chap!

If ground rush is the problem, then maybe using a helicopter with a little more inertia in the rotor system for some confidence building hours may help. Why not go and do a few hours of autorotations in a Schweizer 300 and then come back to the robbo when your more confident in your ability?

There are pleanty of high-time instructors around here that may want to voice an opinion on this...

CRAN

theraingod
8th Apr 2003, 20:01
I think the one of the problems was that I had a low time instructor so if I was just that fraction too slow he would take over.

I know there is a fine balance between the two but during the check ride (for solo) I was given a lot more range and learned lot.

I think will try another instructor.

(before you all start thinking - it was not around London)

The idea behind the simulator was that 'greater range' without killing myself, but I will not be travelling to Liverpool to test it.

Old Man Rotor
8th Apr 2003, 20:52
Geeeeeeeeeeeee....every time I mention that Robert name I seem to attract the fury of a heap of young devotee's..............how do you avoid the same.............

It certainly isn't your looks..............................:hmm: