PDA

View Full Version : winXP log-in/password question....

BRL
7th Apr 2003, 06:52
Hi all. Is it possible to get rid of the password/log-in screen on winXP at the startup?
Ta....... :)

amanoffewwords
7th Apr 2003, 06:59
Yes, if you have only one user.

Start --> Control Panel --> User Accounts --> Click on your user account and then on 'remove password'.

You might also have to switch off the guest account if it is on (but you might need it on if you are sharing data with another computer).

hth

Scuzi
7th Apr 2003, 07:00
If you go to Control Panel -> Users and select change password, enter a blank password as the new one and it should automatically log you in. This is providing that you are the only user on the computer, if there is more than one user this will not work.

EDIT: D'oh beaten to it :p Oh yes I believe that the guest account does have to be disabled.

BRL
7th Apr 2003, 07:15
That was quick chaps...!!! Many thanks..... :)

BRL
8th Apr 2003, 07:25
Problem. I have just booted up and the password screen comes up still. If I just click Ok or hit enter withouth entering a password then it continues to boot. How do I stop it from appearing full stop? :confused:

amanoffewwords
8th Apr 2003, 07:38
Is that after removing the password or entering a blank one as Scuzi suggested? Removing it *should* switch-off password checking on boot-up.

Lost_luggage34
8th Apr 2003, 07:48
Some of the best no-nonsence advice here.

Is XP any good ? Been happily travelling around on a laptop and working at home with Win98 for 3 years plus. Was considering Win2K which seems v stable. Seen it and it seems good, don't know much about XP.

Rugz
8th Apr 2003, 18:28
XP is stable and easy to use, but I would recommend installing Service Pack 1 as this plugs a number of issues (in particular concerning security).

tacpot
8th Apr 2003, 20:42
You should be able to turn off the Login Windows by unchecking the "Secure Login" checkbox on Start --> Control Panel --> User Accounts, Advanced tab.

BRL
9th Apr 2003, 02:01
Hi. I went to user accounts then change password then just left the password box and the confirm password box blank.

Tacpot, the control panel> user accounts, advanced tab is not to be seen on my pc. Running XP Home. It just has 'What do you want to do with your account' 'Related tasks' and 'Learn about'..... :confused:

Mac the Knife
9th Apr 2003, 03:24
Despite my dislike of M$ I have to admit that XP Pro on my kid's machine is nice. Almost as nice as Suse Linux. Sorta wish I'd have gotten 2000 Pro though.

If Win98 works for you and you have no pressing reason to change then DON"T. I run 98SE on my main machine and it's stable enough.

If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Even with multiple accounts you can set XP to autologin to whatever account you like at bootup. Can't recall the details but it wasn't complicated. Not very secure though.

Background Noise
9th Apr 2003, 05:47
I believe it is possible to sort this out in the registry - if you know what you're doing. However if you download TweakUI (one of the power toys available for XP) you can set 'auto-login' and bypass the welcome screen.

Power Toys (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp)

BRL
10th Apr 2003, 03:48
Thanks all. Managed to sort it out with tweakUI last night.
Thanks for the replies from you all. :)