PDA

View Full Version : Network connection

Tosh McCaber
7th Apr 2003, 05:33
I’ve just (today) set up with Pipex Broadband on my main domestic, PC, computer. Can anyone out there tell me how easy (or difficult) it is to set up my second, Imac, computer with a cable network connection to the PC, so that they both can access each other, and, more importantly, the Internet connection? Up till now, one or the other could access the Internet. I can’t really afford the expense of buying a router, or a second modem, even if that were a viable option.

amanoffewwords
7th Apr 2003, 06:42
Assuming both machines have at least win98se installed I would have thought that the cheapest way would be to add a network card to both your Imac PC and principal PC, connect the two together by way of a crossed networked cable and using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) as a software solution to share the Internet. The files etc can be shared via the standard file/sharing option in the network options of the control panel.

More effective might be a firewire connection between the two but a) I have never done that b) not even 100% sure it is possible to share broadband over firewire though I think I read it about that on a different thread recently and c) it may depend on your software level.

There have been other threads about this same question recently - may be worth doing a search...

hth, a little,
amofw

ck4707
7th Apr 2003, 15:50
assuming you are running a version of Windows, go to www.microsoft.com in search box type ics and click on search. You will be taken to a page with links for various windows versions that contain instructions of how to set up each machine for internet connection sharing.

hope this helps

CK

Tosh McCaber
10th Apr 2003, 14:58
Thanks for the info- I'll let you know how it goes.

Tosh

Ausatco
10th Apr 2003, 20:39
Ummm....Tosh said his second 'puter was an Imac. ie Apple. Wot's all this 2 x Wintel PC advice, then?

Not that I can help - I'm Wintel myself - but I think you all may, with the best of intentions, be leading the man up the garden path. Except, perhaps, TCS. TCS, does your info hold good for mixed platforms?

Tosh, is it an Apple Imac?

AA

amanoffewwords
10th Apr 2003, 21:05
Ausatco, you've gone and done it now - we (as in the Coalition Against the Spread of Apple Computers (CASAC)), were trying to brainwash Tosh into sleepwalking his way to a computer shop and swap the Imac for a decent 'puter - hence the Windows rhetoric.

But seriously, point taken, well spotted, :O but I would have thought that the principles we outlined, if not the terminology, is the same for Imacs and PCs? According to the Apple site the Imac should have a number of firewire ports and an Ethernet interface built-in, sorry, moulded in to the gently ondulating curves of the device. Hence in theory the two should be able to connect. Wherever they would talk to each other is another matter of course. :ooh:

Binoculars
10th Apr 2003, 21:19
For what it's worth, my experience with ICS were so frustrating that I finished up buying a switch. And that was with two Windows computers. The mind boggles at the thought of M$ ICS working neatly with an Imac. :rolleyes:

rustle
11th Apr 2003, 05:05
Tosh McCaber

You need two network cards in your W98 machine (You haven't mentioned whether the BB connection is USB or to an ethernet card on the W98 machine - I have assumed ethernet) and the Mac needs an ethernet card configured for TCP/IP.

Then, enable ICS on the W98 PC. It will "auto-configure" itself as a DHCP host, and will allocate a private network address for the second ethernet adapter (on the W98 PC)

As mentioned above, you'll either need a hub or a crossover cable to connect the Mac and the PC.

If the Mac can get an IP address from a DHCP server, then always start the W98 machine first, so that the Mac gets an address.

If the Mac cannot get an IP address from DHCP you need to tell it what address to use:

The "default" private address ICS creates (on the 2nd card) will probably be 192.x.y.z which is a "class C" address.

Now set the Mac IP address to 192.x.y.q - where q is the only different number to the W98 machine.

Set the Mac netmask to 255.255.255.0

Set the Mac default route to 192.x.y.z

Bob's your uncle.

=================

Been using W98 and XP ICS for donkey's and have never (ever) had any issues. Shared amongst Mac/NT/UNIX and other (older) clients.

---------------

The pinouts for crossover cables are: (just incase you felt like making your own ;) )

X-Over
1 Rx+ 3 Tx+
2 Rc- 6 Tx-
3 Tx+ 1 Rc+
6 Tx- 2 Rc-

And for a normal fly-lead:

Normal or Straight-thru
1 Tx+ 1 Rc+
2 Tx- 2 Rc-
3 Rc+ 3 Tx+
6 Rc- 6 Tx

=============

Bins, Bill Gates pumped $100M of his own dosh into Apple a few years back much to the dismay of people who always thought Microsoft were anti-Apple. :rolleyes:

Ronbmy
11th Apr 2003, 09:27
rustle Nice try.

The pinouts for crossover cables are: (just incase you felt like making your own )

How many peeps do you think would have their own crimps?

The again, thinking (?) about it, there have been some funny hairdo's out of EGCC recently

OzPax1
14th Apr 2003, 23:07
Easiest way is to buy a ADSL Router Modem (at least a 4 port one). A good website to use as a guide for all this is ADSL Guide UK (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/). Go to the hardware section for the lowdown on the modems. :D :cool: :ok: