View Full Version : Escape to Middle East?

Dozerboy
6th Apr 2003, 22:54
With the Bankruptcy protection filing of Air Canada, I am looking to spread my wings and find other employment. As I said to my wife: I went to Air Canada for the wages and the job security. I found neither!!

Problem is, all my jet time is as a Cruise Pilot, or a 'Dozerboy'. My A 340 type rating is useless outside of Air Canada, as it has restrictions to prevent me from doing what I am trying to do.

Question is, will ANY middle eastern airline recognize my time as a Cruise Pilot, or will they just look at my time before AC??? Also, will they be willing to turn my 'Cruise First Officer only' restriction into a type rating or not? A bit of background, I had 5000 hours with 4400 PIC before I went to AC.

Any and all info appreciated, especially if there are other ex-ACers out there.

Thanks,

Dozerboy.

Panama Jack
12th Apr 2003, 22:40
"As I said to my wife: I went to Air Canada for the wages and the job security. I found neither!!"

<sigh> I know how you feel.

I am an AC Jazzer (whether that means I'm an AC'er or not depends on the topic at hand, of course). Two years and 4 lay-off threats later, I am also fed-up. As I tell people when asked-- "I work in a dead-end job in a failing company, not earning enough to make financial ends meet, and they want to lay me off and reduce my colleagues' wages." Not the ingredients which morale is made of, it would appear.

Responding to your question-- you can qualify it as a response from someone who doesn't exactly know what they are talking about, since I do not work for either of the "Big 3" in the Gulf.

I would not read into their minimum quals too much. If they say 1000 hours jet-- read it exactly as that. Our Chief Pilot, xxxxxxxx (name removed) recently went to Emirates. To my best knowledge, his only jet time was in BAe 146's and of course he spent more time behind a desk than in the flight deck. I imagine that they have many resumes, and they will be weighing one against the other, however it is like playing the lottery-- your chances may not be good, however, unless you buy a ticket, your chances will be zip (oops, did I say that-- I mean zilch!)

Good luck on your career hunt.

mutt
13th Apr 2003, 01:38
Probably not an airline of first choice, but Saudia will be recruiting 40 expat Captains over the next 12 months........

Mutt.

Semaphore Sam
13th Apr 2003, 01:43
IzatRight, Mutt? Any hiring on the 400??? I might be interested! Cheers.

mutt
13th Apr 2003, 11:24
Semaphore Sam

I thought that you were happy in your French Ferrari :) :)

Cheers

Mutt :ok:

Heading for JFK on Weds, if you have any mail.......

akixx
14th Apr 2003, 05:37
I was under the impression saudia was set on getting rid of all expats. Also is there any truth to the rumors of them buying 5 new 400's ? :confused:

out.of.the.blue
14th Apr 2003, 07:20
Hi Dozer,

just heard the other day that AC is looking into having Transport Canada convert you CRP only endorsement into a "full" 340 endorsement (no restrictions). This was being discussed as a way to help mitigate the hardship that a layoff would have on those affected by furlough. I dont think it's public knowledge yet, but my impression was that they may be able to have the restriction removed, as the training that was done for the endorsement was a full course that Capt/FO's get and hence meets all the approvals required by TC. I assume this will happen if it does not involve a cost to AC.

mutt
14th Apr 2003, 11:28
akixx,

I was under the impression saudia was set on getting rid of all expats.
That was last months plan......... unfortunately it was actually quite successful in getting rid of most expat first officers.

Also is there any truth to the rumors of them buying 5 new 400's ?
:) :) :) :) :) :) sorry but there isnt a smilie to show me rolling around the floor laughing. SVA dont know what to do with the 4 -400s that they have now, another 5 would just clutter up the ramp!

Mutt.

411A
14th Apr 2003, 13:57
SV decided in 1985 that they had far too many expats, so they started selectivly not renewing contracts.
All of a sudden they had far less than they needed...and had to hire more.

Crew planning is not their strong point.

Semaphore Sam
19th Apr 2003, 05:55
Couple of points, Mutt...Freedom Ferrari just fine with me, but not with Freedom Fries & Toast. Have you heard anything of a rumour about 2 or 3 new Freedom Falcons for SFS?

...VWXYZ...doesn't SV have 5 400's?

411A...'not renewing contracts' meant 'standardization checkrides' with a pink slip at final distination. Get high on an approach to Abha, requiring a 360? Bye Bye, if not endowed with green passport. SV saved by Eastern & Aussie strikes, making many desperate people available at once. SV has always been lucky that way; again now, they've overfired (as in mid-80's, but this time at instigation of present DG, who has shown standard SV ability to plan ahead); the present aviation slump will bail them out.

mutt
19th Apr 2003, 11:18
Oops.... mea culpa....... 5 it is.. :O

As for new Freedom Ferrais, will believe it when i see them on the ramp parked beside the BBJ!

Mutt.

Paterbrat
19th Apr 2003, 17:54
Hear they've (SV) been cutting down all the flight schedules recently.

Well Dozer a pleasent sounding rumour at alst.

mutt
20th Apr 2003, 00:23
Hear they've (SV) been cutting down all the flight schedules recently.

Makes more sense than flying empty aircraft! This is a traditionally quiet period in the gulf, but the war made it even quieter by cancelling any 'non-essential travel'......

Mutt.

akixx
20th Apr 2003, 07:15
A little off the subject of sv, but has anyone heard of a company called jeddah aviation? :E

mutt
20th Apr 2003, 11:23
There is a newly founded "Jeddah Aviation CLUB".

They operate 10 Hungarian built two seater microlights and also organize of the yearly Jeddah skydiving competition.

Mutt.