PDA

View Full Version : Dispatch/Redcap courses

Trumpet_trousers
6th Apr 2003, 22:45
Please excuse this question from an ignorant ex-military type, but can somebody please explain to me if the role of a redcap is different to that of a dispatcher?
My (basic) understanding is that a redcap delivers/supervises the paperwork at the point of delivery to the departing aircraft (ie to the flightdeck,) whereas the dispatchers role is more to do with a traditional Ops set up (ie crew briefing/wx collating/routings etc?)

I ask because I am tempted to undertake a redcap/dispatchers course and qualify....but the only course I can find online is with AFDTC in DFW, USA. Searching for a UK based course threw up some reference to ICAO Course 278.....Help!

Also, no reference was made on the AFDTC website to any involvement with Weight and Balance calculations.....as my previous experience is in this area, does the Dispatchers course cover this subject, and if not, does the redcap course?

Any information that would help me to see where I want to go would be most appreciated!

TT:confused:

no sig
6th Apr 2003, 23:01
Trumpet T

You're basically correct but the job of the redcap traditionally entails an overall coordination of the turnaround, sadly, the redcaps of old are a dying breed and although still in use, the job has been watered down considerably across the handling world. The use of the term 'ramp dispatcher or aircraft dispatcher in the UK refers to the job of the redcap and can be, for all intents and purposes be considered to be one and the same. There are, however, local variations in job definitions.

There is sometimes confusion between ramp dispatching and Flight Dispatching, which originates in the US FAR's 121 and is a very different role. Flight Dispatchers have a joint responsibility with the Commander of a flight for pre-flight planning, release and flight monitoring. Any course in the states is likely to be for a flight dispatchers role.

I would recommend you look up IATA ground-training courses for ramp work, although the City and Guilds of London institute do have ground courses that would be of value. Take a look at IFALDA.org for dispatcher information.

SAIIP
23rd Apr 2003, 03:45
There are some courses you can do in the UK.

If you are interested in FLT OPS area...

ICAO Flight Ops Officer/Flight Dispatcher License distance learning course.
GLA college of nautical studies

The AVTECH program is good for
Airfield Ops,
Flight Operations etc..
C & G courses www.avtech2000.co.uk

If you are still interested take a look at it.

The FAA Dispatcher course do well if you are planning to advance your knowledge and possibile expension to the other part of the world.

famous grouse
23rd Apr 2003, 11:51
Not wishing to stir up further with regards the GCNS course :{

I would leave that option on the back boiler for now, I hear a re-vamp is on the cards more linked to "relevant" parts of ICAO 7192.

Hopefully this should satisfy anyones desires to learn our trade.
I'm hopeful No Sig will post further info on this soon.

Best regards
FG :ok:

SAIIP
26th Apr 2003, 18:48
So, what happen? :confused: Last year I heard from everyone is a great course to stduy, I almost apply for it. Guess I am one of the lucky one than..

Any updates?

no sig
27th Apr 2003, 06:26
FG

Indeed, the next modules are underway at present and strictly to 7192, the first modules on aircraft system etc. will be addressed after the next set have been issued.