PDA

View Full Version : Stress Management

Paintbox
5th Apr 2003, 17:15
How do I mange stress? Big question I know...but just after a few ideas. Work in an aviation related area but am not aircrew. Dont think my job as such is that stressful..just managing all the political things that go round it. Do some walking which dont like much and a bit of swimming which I do like. Prefer not to go to gyms if possible.

I find doing a bit of weights makes me relaxed and try to do some art on the weekends.

Just after a few tips that others may have tried and found useful, iI find the more stressed out I get, the less I'm able to come up with ideas.

redsnail
6th Apr 2003, 08:57
Weights is a good thing. Any thing physical to get out the pent up energy is a good thing. Walking, cycling etc. It's good for your health any way.

A better idea is to learn to switch off the triggers. In other words, don't let it get to you so you have to destress. Learn to detach from the nitty gritty of it all. I find asking myself "is this going to matter in 1 hour/1 day/1 week/1month etc time?" Tends to put things in perspective.

Go see utterly pointless movies. Have a bloody good laugh. A really good laugh is one of the best antidotes to stress around. All it costs is the price of a ticket and you don't need a doctor's appointment.

gingernut
8th Apr 2003, 21:55
Sounds like good sound advice from redsnail. Here are a few things that work for me:

Walk round and up mountain or some other (enjoyable) physical exercise. (Releases potent chemicals to the brain).

Get out of day to day situation for a while. (Good holiday helps me put it all in perspective).

Get organised.

Be assertive, rather than defensive/aggresive.

Try and analyse cause of stress, and work out worse case scenario, and then say so what. Eg. Boss giving me a hard time, worse case is could get the sack, so what , will get new job with company that deserves me.

Get married to good warm woman.

Avoid too much booze. A little helps though !

jpsingh
14th Apr 2003, 17:26
I think you got all the right answers and suggestions.Yoga and Dancing are another two sytress relievers.Finally its all in the head ,good friends and a warm understanding women would complete the cycle!!!!

Moonraker2003
18th Apr 2003, 13:45
Paintbox

Stress management is easy if you use self hypnosis. This has helped a lot of people in various professions.

If you send me a PM then I can help you.
All hypnosis is self hypnosis and you can do it in the privacy of your mind and home.

Basil
21st Apr 2003, 05:46
Agree with Reddo & I (used to) go running up big steep hill.
Last stressful time about, 5 years ago, went running and THEN told boss my opinion :}
Oh yes, and then go out and get pissed with the other wingers :ok:

Lou Scannon
21st Apr 2003, 18:48
Just in case you've had a rough day, here is a stress management technique
recommended in all the latest psychological texts.
The funny thing is that it really works.

Picture yourself near a stream.
Birds are softly chirping in the cool mountain air.
No one but you knows your secret place.
You are in total seclusion from the hectic place called "the world."
The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity.
The water is crystal clear.
You can easily make out the face of the person you're holding
underwater

kabz
22nd Apr 2003, 12:12
I find the best stress reliever is a few touch and goes ... I trained myself early on to leave everything behind when I get in a plane.

KodEBlaK
25th Apr 2003, 02:00
Scented Candles work for me... Maybe just watching the flame alters ur state of mind.

Paintbox
25th Apr 2003, 10:26
Thanks everyone for your replys, there's some good ideas in there. One of the problems with the suggestions about walking or running up hills is that I as I mentioned in the first post really dont like walking. Thats the problem, I have done it before, and find within a week it becomes a chore.

Have got to find something else i like cause otherwise i know i wont stick to it. So far I find yoga good, quite enjoy that, havent tried the candles, but expect that probably induces a bit of a trance state and would like that I think. Most things I do, I find go in fits and starts, so expect I have to find a routine of things that I can do regularly that I look forward too.

Dont fly unfortunately so going up for a spin is out for me.

Couple of glasses of wine will do the trick and must admit am guilty of using tranxs on occasions, but not addicted. :\