PDA

View Full Version : Training

kestrel99
3rd Apr 2001, 01:34
Following Mr Crabtree’s recent posting I’d like to ask if anyone have any ideas on the astronaut training process? I would like to know how long it will take, and whether or not the same kinds of career development loans are available to trainee spacemen? Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to deter people such as Perfect PFL from criticising enlightened posts such as these. At least if this people do wish to reply could they check their own spelling and grammar first?!

Wee Weasley Welshman
3rd Apr 2001, 02:06
NASA don't have a training programme running at the moment but the Russians will train you and nominate you for a visit to the ISS for (I belive) circa 10 million dollars.

Good luck, tough market!

Ja
3rd Apr 2001, 02:16
NVQ on that ??

fisher11
3rd Apr 2001, 20:07
Try looking at Purdue University in the USA at www.purdue.edu (http://www.purdue.edu)

Apparently, on average 6 out of 10 NASA astronauts are Purdue graduates. Look under the Aviation Technology courses.

Hope this helps.

Rote 8
3rd Apr 2001, 20:45
Kestrel

Normally I am not one to criticise people's spelling or grammar but given the nature of your closing remark I can't really let it pass -

At least if THIS people do wish to reply could they check their own spelling and grammar first?!

Doh !

Good luck with the space program!

Lucifer
3rd Apr 2001, 23:46
If you want to be an astronaut pilot, try going fast jet for a while, being the best, getting to Empire Test Pilots School and getting on the program like that. (Plus being American helps)

Mr Crabtree
4th Apr 2001, 12:26
Kestrel 99, it is most satisfying to see that us wannabe spacemen are not a dying breed, people dissin my original thread should be ashamed, Perfect PFL is an ignoramus, space is the final unknown. right just got to persuade Nat West to lend me 10 million dollars and i'm off to Russia.

and the chap said
4th Apr 2001, 12:44
Chaps,

I believe that NVQ discount is not available for trainee spacemen. I think it's disgusting how the government are trying to screw us...if only there was tax relief on that 10 million dollars, aspiring spacemen might stand half a chance. ;)

CaptainCrunch
4th Apr 2001, 13:20
Do please remember that there, as with most flight training, there are hidden costs to be taken into account so you'll need to ask the Russians some pretty searching questions, viz.

i. Will I be expected to provide my own ray-gun and if so will the Light Sabre I purchased from Taylor's Toys and Models (Wantage) be enough? I tried taking my own and they were not impressed.

ii. How much do the little plastic pouched for the in-flight loo cost? I appreciate that the take off may be somewhat precarious and should not like to be the first spaceman to pee his pants. NB. In zero gravity errant micturation could also affect the avionics not to mentions a stray "number two".

iii. Will I have assistance on the language front? They'll need to send you on a course to learn Martian. (You may be able to save money here - there's an excellent Bugs Bunny cartoon c. 1956 with a little alien chappy who speaks almost non-stop throughout. This may be enough to convince the cash strapped Rooskies that you're a serious proposition not just someone who has seen to many Star Trek fillums.

Hope this helps,

Cap'n Crunch

ickle black box
4th Apr 2001, 13:39
Also, just so you can gain a bit more from us people here at PPRuNe, you could search through the old posts. You'd find answers to all the questions like;

1)Does starair astronaut training school give preference to the NASA sponsored students, when there's a shortage of spaceships?

2)Will HSBC lend you the money for the course, and can you make re-payments in the mars branch?

And a real essential one ..

3)Should you get a ESA or an NASA licence. Imagine what a bummer it would be if you couldn't fly the Enterprise on a ESA one!! rochronner could spend all day telling you about getting the wrong licence.

4)And will you get that first rocket job, with just 250 TT, or have to perhaps become an instructor for a few years first.

Any questions, just ask. We're a friendly bunch of like minded people here ...

budding astronaut ickle :)

Delta Wun-Wun
4th Apr 2001, 15:18
Wheres Ronchonner?I bet he got his Spacemans licence cheaper than the rest of us!!! :) :) :)

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

VFE
4th Apr 2001, 19:42
Do I hear a rumour of a spaceman forum on PPRuNe?

Cracking comment about the spellin' and gramma kestral. Check out:
www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum41/HTML/001117-2.html (http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum41/HTML/001117-2.html)

PPT gets the award for the funniest post ever!!

VFE

------------------
Why do aircraft toilets have frosted glass windows?

[This message has been edited by VFE (edited 04 April 2001).]

ickle black box
4th Apr 2001, 19:58
VFE, In adition to PPT, I recon the best / 2nd best pprune comment I've read are Slashers RT transcript of Mr Bean Saves Plane.

Check it out here;

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum1/HTML/013110.html

ickle :) :) :)

and the chap said
4th Apr 2001, 20:33
I’ve used the search function, but can’t find answers to the following:

Would it be cheaper to do all spaceman training in Florida or stick to Russia?

After calculating in the hidden costs (thanks Cap’n Crunch – I would have missed those), I can see that it will cost approx $12.5 million to complete the course.

I have put a business plan together and presented it to HSBC. They are willing to help so long as I can come up with the first $7.5 million. The repayments are a bit high at just over $7700 a month over the next 82 years, but it’s worth it to realise my dream. Any suggestions how I scrape together the remaining $7.5 mill?

Is there a modular route available? This may prove to be cost cutter – or would I be better off shelling out for the full course anyway, in the hope I stand a better chance for that first rocket job?

How many hours do I need to spend in the cosmos to remain current?

Can I get a Galaxy Class Medical at Gatwick?

Thx in advance,
ATCS ;)

bottle2throttle
5th Apr 2001, 02:43
I think the best way of becoming an astronaunt is to build around 50 hours on the shuttle perhaps even a type rating, I'm sure daddy will pay.

Oh, and a Phd in rocket science might help.

If I were you I would stick to a PA-28.

------------------
Jesus, this bogy's all over me...........

hardonharry
5th Apr 2001, 14:55
I think Mr Crabtree is a top bloke, if only there were more interesting threads rather than the usual "i'm ba final board......

rob_frost
6th Apr 2001, 23:38
The first 7.5 million?
Nick it.