PDA

View Full Version : Free ISPs good / bad

SLF 999
4th Apr 2003, 16:47
A friend has asked me to get them connected to the net and although I have broadband I dont know who the good 'free' ISPs are, e.g. freeserve, Tesco net, etc.
The are looking for someone who provides email etc and the call charges are the normal BT 1p per min eve and weekend, but you dont have to pay a monthly fee.

If anyone has any opinion on them can you please let me know.

Keef
4th Apr 2003, 18:10
I've not done a wide survey, but I'm very pleased with Flyer Internet. 0845 number to access, and everything free thereafter. I've been using them for my "mobile Internet" for several years, and been much happier with Flyer than with my previous pay-monthly ISP (now cancelled).

The only slight drawback (and all the free ones are the same, as far as I know) is that you can't update your website while using a different ISP connection to the Internet (eg ADSL if you have it).

I've set up most of the local clergy round here with Flyer Internet accounts, and all are blissfully happy with them.

For more information, http://www.flyer.co.uk/ and click on the "FLYER ISP" tag on the left.

newswatcher
4th Apr 2003, 18:46
SLF 999,

I am very happy with Ontel. :D 1p/minute(24hrs) or 12.99GBP/month. See:

http://www.onetel.co.uk/index.php/internet

RFCC
4th Apr 2003, 20:44
I too use Flyer and am very happy with it. I also have a OneTel dial-up but find it hard to get a connection in the evenings and although I never use OneTel for outgoing e-mail, I still get a lot of incoming spam with it.

SLF 999
4th Apr 2003, 22:15
Thanks Ill have a look at these

spekesoftly
4th Apr 2003, 23:39
Just some points to bear in mind with an 0845 dial-up.

BT local call charges:-

Weekend (All Day Sat & Sun) - 1p/min

Mon to Fri - (After 6pm to before 8am) - 1.49p/min

Daytime - (Mon to Fri 8am to 6pm) - 3.95p/min

Minimum call charge 5p. All prices include VAT.

AFAIK, OneTel's 1p/min charge, including VAT, applies 24/7, with no minimum call charge. Uses an 0808 number.