PDA

View Full Version : What can you do with a CPL/IR?

BlipOnTheRadar
3rd Apr 2001, 01:19
I have a friend who, presently is a PPL with about 125 hours. He intends to advance to ATPL but as many have discovered he can't afford to give up the job that pays for his flying in order to concentrate on the commercial training. He has decided to go for the modular/ distance learning course, to allow him to keep his job (and pay off his debts). He would like to know what jobs he could apply for once reaching CPL/IR. Although he would like to be a flying instructor, the financial reward is not good enough to pay his debts. Do regional/ commuter airlines take CPL/IR's?
Any information would be much appreciated.

BlipOnTheRadar

EX FTE
3rd Apr 2001, 12:24
Well if he has a PPL and 125hrs then he is getting close to the entry requirements for a Frozen ATPL course.

Now I may be talking out of the proverbial here but as far as I know, the study route for CPL is very very close to F/ATPL. In fact I am not so sure that with the good old JAA there is only one set of exams and they are the F/ATPLs.

Suggest that he finds himself a decent school and starts the theory side. Personally I am almost finished my theoretical stuff and found it difficult buy not impossible. If you read Pilot magazine you'll see that Jeppesen and OATS are getting together to publish the course work. Dunno on costs etc but the OATS books are good.

If he can hack that then find a decent school and do the flying. Once that is done he will have the CPL (F/ATPL) that he needs.

In terms of getting a job he really needs to look at not only a CPL but also the IR and Multi courses. If all he can do is single VFR then I suspect that he will be limited to para-dropping. Although that said I do recall seeing an advert for a salesman at Europa aircraft where part of teh job was flying aircraft to demo's. All that was needed was a PPL.

According to JAA Air Law; a CPL entitles the holder to act as PIC of an aircraft NOT engaged in commercial air transport (so air taxi is OK) or as co-pilot on an aircraft that IS engaged in air transport. Maybe he can find a co-pilot job on a corporate aircraft or the like.

All that said I would say that he will be up against a fair number of F/ATPL graduates who are all chasing jobs! In the hiring stakes I think that a F/ATPL beats a CPL if all else is equal (personality, hours, etc)

Good luck.

BlipOnTheRadar
4th Apr 2001, 23:05
Many thanks, I shall pass on the info and hope it gives him the push he needs.

Fly safely

B.O.T.R.

rolling circle
5th Apr 2001, 00:18
Here we go again, perpetuating the myth of the 'Frozen ATPL'. The so-called 'frozen ATPL' is nothing more than a CPL/IR, the only difference is that the ATP theoretical knowledge exams have been passed, which, along with the MCC course, are a pre-requisite to add a multi-crew type to the CPL.

If the PPL in question gains a CPL/IR and passes the CPL theoretical knowledge exams he can act as pilot in command of an aircraft certified for single pilot operation for any purpose, including commercial air transportation. If, on the other hand, he passes the ATP theoretical knowledge exams he can, in addition, act as co-pilot of an aircraft certified for multi-pilot operation.

v1rotate
5th Apr 2001, 15:03
Blip,

I would suggest to keep the job, study via correspondance and do either paradropping or tugging for the hours. That way he can save the income (for the exams) and get free flying on the weekends.

------------------
"Jerry, just remember, it's NOT a LIE if YOU believe it." - George Costanza