PDA

View Full Version : BA Professional Engineering Program

jar66_b2
3rd Apr 2003, 22:31
Was advised today that BA have suspended the PEP course for a 2nd year running. I expect that anyone that has applied so far should be getting notification of this shortly.

reracker
8th Apr 2003, 18:09
Just think, if B.A. aren't training anyone, who the hell is?? In the 80's-early 90's they were starting 120-150 a year. And who is going to certify all the aircraft in a few years time, when the old boys with the cover/experience retire. The lead time to train an engineer to B1/B2 level is at least TWICE as long as that for the drivers. Someone coming in off the street is forced to have at least 5 years training/experience before they can issue a C.R.S. I think a pilot could be on line in less than 18 months (correct me if i'm wrong!). However a shortage of certifiers will mean one of two things a lowering of standards/safety or a rise in wages. Yes its going to be the first one, i've done this long enough to know that.

Just out of interest are any of the other airlines still taking on apprentices ??????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

jar66_b2
8th Apr 2003, 23:21
Saw an advert for apprentices with Virgin Atlantic but not sure if you get your B1 with it, says you'll get SOME of the modules.

What gets me is how do people that are doing the courses off their own back (At AST or Oxford) get experience? Yeah some will be lucky enough to have jobs with airlines already but how do the others get into companies with Aircraft big enough to count towards the experience requirement?

vs69
12th Apr 2003, 19:12
They do teach all the modules for B1, most of them during the first two years and then the biggie, module 11 is taught later on in the apprenticeship. Am currently in my 2nd year there and have been taught ten of the modules and sat CAA exams for 8 of them. They are still looking to take 8 B1 chaps in sept but i think applications may have closed now. Heard that monarch were going to take people on but have changed their minds now and keep hearing different rumours about BA scheme.