PDA

View Full Version : Stapleford Flight Centre and SFT

daviesm
3rd Apr 2001, 00:41
Could anyone tell me why these courses are so much cheaper than other places. I think Stapleford is about £23k from zero to Frozen ATPL!
Has anyone got any past experience of either of these training centres, as i am considering the self sponsored route?

Any advice much appreciated.

daviesm
3rd Apr 2001, 02:11
Anyone???????????

Jetheat
3rd Apr 2001, 02:43
I did my GFT and IR at Stapleford. I cant say much about the PPL, IMC & ground training as I dont have that kind of experience with them.
But I can tell you that the IR training is done by Eric Thurston who is a veteran when it comes to preparing you. He's quite old but he has more than his share of marbles.

All Instructors are friendly and its a nice place. You may not get to fly as much as you'd like coz the wx is lousy and sometimes the planes are booked.
But go and visit them and you'll see.
A nice friendly bunch.

TheNavigator
3rd Apr 2001, 03:53
I think one of the reasons is that some of the hour building counts towards the IR, ie, the IR is done before the ATPL exams.

I have already suggested this route in other threads but apparentely this view was not very popular.

I had a chat with them during the Flyer Exibition and they were very very friendly and helpfull. I am definitively going with them.

TheNavigator

herniair
3rd Apr 2001, 04:10
Can't comment on either course but the cheapest zero to frozen ATPL seems to be about £30k.- but that is distance learning and no accommodation included.
'Course' is not really generic, so you'd better find out what is extra- £23k. sounds very and suspiciously cheap.
The other comment about aircraft not being available is, also, a warning and is one of the commonest complaints about courses with poor maintenance back-up and other people having priority over student training.

Stu Pidkent
3rd Apr 2001, 14:10
Good question - I am 'erring towards SFT but have not yet made my mind up. Can anyone point me to Staplefords website (if they have one) so I can compare their package to SFT's full time modular ????

liquidhockey
3rd Apr 2001, 15:42
the website is
www.flysfc.com (http://www.flysfc.com)
happy hunting

G SXTY
3rd Apr 2001, 15:42
Try: www.flysfc.com (http://www.flysfc.com)

I don't know about their ATPL course, but I'm very happy so far with my PPL training.

Lack of PPL aircraft certainly aint a problem - the biggest headache is finding space to park the thing.

WX is definitely on the dodgy side, and fog seems to hang around a lot longer than surrounding areas - I guess it doesn't help being stuck next to the vast flood plains of the River Roding.

That said, friendly place with Sky TV in the clubhouse. Just the job when you're waiting for it to lift. ;)

------------------
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit pruning.

4th Apr 2001, 00:46
I was always told to be wary about a school that asks for all the money up front, and its my understanding that at Stapleford to get the course for £23000 this is what you have to do.
They do let you pay in stages but it pushes the price up.

Anyone know otherwise.

Dutchie
4th Apr 2001, 01:06
In general you get what you pay for.

To explain, I have flown hour building in the states for $40 per hour wet in a 172 and for $99. The first was an aircraft older than me but with maintenance lagging only because I checked Pilot magazine for the cheapest price...Never again, I learned flying..err buying from that.

Whithout knowing either schools I would look at their facilities, their staff (let's face it a full timecareer instructor is usually better but also much more expensive for any school and you are the one paying his bill), their aircraft (will you be flying in an old C150 or in a new warrior for your hour building?) and what is included. Landing fee's are sometimes included at one and not at the other, accomodation, books??? Usually the cheaper the bigger the pitfall be ware!!

The other thing is where do their graduates end up? People like OATS in Oxford for integrated courses or Profesional Air Training in BOH for modular training seem to be getting students placed just by their reputation. And as you will need a job at the end that might be a consideration. But how to value "you trained where" vs " a you trained at OATS or similar" don't know. Look around get info on all schools and visit them during the week to get the best feeling of what is going on.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Dutchie (edited 03 April 2001).]