PDA

View Full Version : All the gear no idea!

kevin daniels
3rd Apr 2003, 06:04
Dear All,

After months of research I'm still really none the wiser about choosing the right Flying School. It seems the more you find out the the harder the decision becomes!

After looking closely at the USA & NZ, I'm now 99% certain that NZ will be the place for me.
I'm planning to visit in a few weeks time to check out half a dozen or so to see how they compare. (Perhaps sign up for the PPL first)

Is there anyone who's completed the CPL(H) in NZ as I would be very greatful of any advice they could offer me.

Areas of concern:
Which Flight School/Course(s)
Any Tax relief/help with funding that's available
Prospects of finding work afterwards

Many thanks,

Kevin

Aussierotor
3rd Apr 2003, 10:42
With the way exchange rates are at the moment it would make sense to do in aussie or kiwi land.
PPL and CHL(combined--cheapest way of doing it) is around the low 30g,s.
With share accomodation about $50 a week,great beer ,great climate,great beaches ,its hard to go past the sunshine coast in queensland.
Fly over ,do full course in one hit and should get change from $38g plus food and spending money,plus good holiday as well.
I gather colchester is in pomland ,so thats about 15,000 pounds all up.
As far as jobs go ,they all say employment is possible,but 99% of that is bull**** unless you just happen to jag something at the time.
www.chopperline.com.au

finalchecksplease
3rd Apr 2003, 17:09
Something important before you commit yourself to a course / country is to look at the job prospects there after you get your licence (unless you are one of the lucky few that have a job lined up on return in the UK).
Check what your realistic chances are on a job as a new commercial pilot and if you can legally work there (visa) (don’t believe the schools brochures on that but do your homework!) because it will make life much easier if you can return with not only the rating but also so time in your logbook.
I know that some schools in the USA will get you a 2 year J-1 visa what gives you the chance to get some experience, but don’t know the situation in Australia and NZ.
Good luck on whatever route you take!
Send me a pm if you want more info about the route I took.

soggyboxers
3rd Apr 2003, 17:49
You need to look at more than just the initial cost of obtaining the licence unless you plan to work only in New Zealand after. Commercial helicopter jobs in New Zealand are very scarce so you need to know what to do to convert a New Zealand CPL into a licence you can use in another country.
I see from your profile that you are from UK and if the rules are still as they were when I was involved in ab-initio training (quite some years ago now), you may well find that if you wish to work in UK you will still have to do 50 hours flying, pass the GFTs here and do some or all of the ground exams here too.
Although it may not be quite as cheap, you may well be better off going to a school in USA where you can work towards FAA/CAA and JAR licences. HAI in Florida (with whom I have no personal ties) offer approved training for all 3 of the previously managed licences and have both British and American flight and ground insructors.
You may well find out that this is the overall cheaper option if you have any thoughts of working in Europe or the USA. The CAA and FAA licences are also accepted by many countries if you later wish to work overseas.

Steve76
3rd Apr 2003, 20:27
The only place you need a JAA licence is the EU and then it won't matter what experience you have (ie:1000hrs+) you will have to do exams and convert your licence. The brits may acknowledge your experience but not guaranteed. Again this is regardless of 150hr or 1000hrs twin time.

The impression everywhere I have been overseas is that the FAA licence is a joke. No offence to our US brothers.... thats just the harsh reality. The examination and process is scoffed at generally. However, YES ... it is a great licence to have for working around the planet. As for the visa, that is only applicable (to my understanding) if you complete an instructor rating after your licence. You are entitled to 1 year to earn a living after the IR.

The same rule applies to Canada. It was introduced after the yanks started to pull a lot of candidates south and slow the canuk industry down.

If you are under 27 - 30 you can apply for a one year work visa in NZ, OZ and CA. Just do not tell them you are doing it for flying. It is intended for working holiday types. There are no restrictions to what you do thou...

Your NZ licence is easily converted into OZ. The two licences are accepted in either country without conversion and both licences are readily converted into the canadian version at a little cost.

Total flying in NZ 150hrs
Total in OZ 120hrs (?)
Total in Ca 105hrs (!)

There are ****** all mountains in OZ. Only BC has mountain training in CA. NZ offers a broad spectrum of all aspects of helo flying in a small country.
Do your exams at Motueka (nelson aviation college) Have a chat to Andy Smith there. Everybody who is anybody, does the theory at Andy's school there (his fatherinlaw is Walter Wagdendonk of the aerodynamics book fame....) Where you do the flying is up to you.

All the best :)

jonnyg
3rd Apr 2003, 23:07
Why not look at Spain, theres a few companies here that will do you the PPL(H) which are JAA so saves the hassle of changing anything, plus the beers cheap, flights are cheap and only 2 hours flight time, and its flyable most of the time............

discobeast
4th Apr 2003, 10:36
I know Irlandes did his Comm training here in NZ. Send him a pm for more info.

Come'on Irlandes! Leave those Cold Corona's and get ur a$$ back to pprune!

:}