PDA

View Full Version : Child as an adult...

You want it when?
3rd Apr 2003, 03:05
I always book my child as an adult. I've done this ever since he had to sit on my lap (with extended belts) on a UK internal flight with the worlds favourite airline. OK he was only three at the time.

What is the difference to aircrews on this issue?

Also, often it's cheaper for me to buy him a grown up ticket than it is to buy him a childs ticket. The only thing I can think of is a weight / balance question, but I'm a tad chunky so we balance out.

I've been asked once to move him at a check in gate and allow a fare paying passenger to have the seat but once I showed the ticket they accepted his right to his paid for seat - but they said that I booked under false pretenses and they would consider removing me from the plane. Fortunately they didn't.

So whats the beef people?

PS. I think cabin crew do a great job and I'm not a nasty customer. :p

rsoman
3rd Apr 2003, 15:55
Well if the airlines allow you to purchase an extra seat (or force you in some cases) for your comfort I cant see why they have a problem with you purchasing an adult ticket for your child.

bealine
3rd Apr 2003, 17:27
Quite honestly, I can't see what the problem is - Child or Adult, either way he is quite entltiled to his seat and the thought of giving it up for a "Fare Paying adult" should never enter the equation!

An infant is not entitled to a seat, however. Sometimes, as a courtesy if we have a quiet flight, we will "block" a seat for use by the INF - but some passengers choose to buy a child ticket in order to make certain they have the seat. This is not considered fraudulent, and neither is what you're doing You Want It When? If we sell an Adult fare at lower cost than a Child (or, for that matter, a return ticket cheaper than a one way) then it is our misfortune if you have discovered it!

Good Luck to you!:D

carrioke
4th Apr 2003, 00:05
the main reason I think is all about weight. Basically before a plane takes off, the dispatcher and the captain must agree on the weight of the aircraft. this is very important as it means they have to have enough fuel to reach the destination plus extra in case of diversions. Heavier the aircraft = more fuel.

I know it seems silly when you have a child and a man and it may seem like its not a big deal, but imagine if everyone did this then the difference could be quite substantial. Airlines estimate the weight. I think they say its average 80 kg for a male maybe 70 for a female and 40 for a child. (These are only very rough outlines, as am not entirely sure of the exact figures) I know it seems like a bit of extra weight on one pax should compensate for a more "under weight" pax, but understandably it would be impossible to weigh every pax before a flight and there have to be some guidelines.

Also when cargo and pax are loaded, wieght is again impoirtant as depending on how many pax etc depends on how the cargo is loaded..In a nut shell I guess it is all about our safety and making sure we get from A to B in one piece. Several aircrashes have been because of mis management of weight...
Hope this answers some of the questions

Dragon Knight
4th Apr 2003, 00:47
There has to be a seat with a seatbelt for every passenger. A passenger in this context is a person age 2 years and above, hence a person under 2 years old (infant) does not require a seat. These are the rules, and there are no way around them.

If you have a child 2 years 6 mds, and you buy an infant ticket (below 2 years old), you risk being offloaded since it isn't a valid ticket. On the other hand if you buy a ticket for a child, the airline has to provide said child with a seat.

Departures Beckham
4th Apr 2003, 03:44
I've found that some passengers travelling with an infant on low-fares airlines have not purchased a seat so that they don't have to have their child on their lap; but so they get the baggage allowance that an infant would otherwise not be entitled to.

At £4 per kilo or £20* for 15 kilos plus a seat for the kid, I know what the clever people do :ok:

You want it when?
4th Apr 2003, 04:53
DK my son was 3 when the worlds favorite airline said sit him on your lap we need his seat. And as he's on a childs ticket we can take it.

I'm fully aware of the difference between an infant and a child booking. Should that be sleeplessly aware maybe :p

gate4lounge
5th Apr 2003, 01:31
YWIT.....I must admit that your original post :confused: me somewhat. If kiddywinks was 3, you paid for his seat (unless you were very naughty and said he was under 2) - so why sit him on your lap?

You now confirm that he had a child ticket and you were asked to sit him on your lap by Bloody Awful crew.....I would have shown them the boarding pass and (nicely) advised them that they should not visit their problems on you.

Good on you if you've found it cheaper to buy the urchin an adult ticket:D :D :D

Dragon Knight
5th Apr 2003, 16:45
YOU WANT IT THEN? I'm sorry to hear that, it's not your problem that they are 1 seat short, and as i pointed out, from a legal point of view " There has to be a seat for a 3 year old".

Like gate4lounge, I would have shown them the boarding pass and (nicely) advised them that they should not visit their problems on you.
And if they insist, I would (again nicely) advice them, that their legal foundation for such a solution is marginal to non-existent.

I would probably have risked an offloading, by insisting on the seat for my child, nevertheless, I would have done it.

PAXboy
5th Apr 2003, 20:19
YWIW? Another reason why I think that you are on solid ground .... eeerrr the kind of solid ground that exists at FL 390 .... is that musicians buy extra seats for thei instruments. Precious guitars belonging to classical soloists and so forth, have been known to be strapped in to biz and 1st seats.

Others who do not want to be disturbed, buy a second seat to block the one next to them (again only in biz and 1st). I'd like to see c/c tell these folk to shift!

From my point of view, I would consider buying an extra seat for a child - as long as it was on a different plane to the one that I am travelling in. :}

You want it when?
5th Apr 2003, 21:16
Paxboy - :O

Plus to exceed 20 chars - it happened last year and I was not going to argue. You're right it was their fault and not mine. Still I look forward to tomrrows flight...