PDA

View Full Version : VATSIM... your opinions!

niallcooney
2nd Apr 2003, 23:43
Guys,

I'm a PC (not politically correct tho) FS2K2 simmer, and I'd like a knowedgeable opinion about VATSIM.... you know, the online ATC thingie? I'm thinking of flying on it as a pilot (once I get A320 or B767 PIC realistically into the air). Has anyone tried it? What's it like? Is it mainly voice or text comms? Is it realistic? Any good websites for the prospective online pilot training etc?

No interesting or worthwhile opinion will be ignored (much)!

Niall

Andrew M
21st May 2003, 09:52
VATSIM is good, yes. It doesn't teach you how to fly a jet in real life, no, but at the end of the day you know more than your average Joe in the street.

At least you learn how to read SID's, STAR's (not quite a clairevoyant though ! :) ), and learn basic R/T phrasology.

VATSIM is a very large organisation - but you must take it seriously - it's not a carry on, and prepare to suffer consquences if you muck around. Considering it's a learning enviroment though, some accidental mistakes are ignored.

go to www.vatsim.net for more info - by the way, would you be joining the UK region ???

as for voice/text - it depends on the controller - most use voice though.

I am controller at EGPF_TWR, and I must say that it is a learning experience. Okay, I couldn't last 5 minutes in the real Glasgow Tower, but ask me, and ask a bloke on the street what mode C is, and how to read a flight progress strip and see who would come out best.

By the way, it's free also - what have you got to lose ??? Oh, did I tell you that many members are also real life ATCO's and ATPL/CPL Pilots ???

PM me for more info - but I wouldn't post on other websites about VATSIM - some people don't take too kindly to it.