PDA

View Full Version : Flying to France this Sunday...

You want it when?
2nd Apr 2003, 16:12
Sorry Mods/Others if this is in the wrong forum.

Myself and the boss plus our short people are going to France for a weeks hols, travelling from Gatwick to Marseille on this Sunday. I'm travelling on a British passport and she will be on an American one.

Can I get a "reading" on, if there is much anti British / American feelings in France, especially the South. I'm loathe to cancel the holiday as I doubt BA would give me any money back for being scared, but the idea of harm coming to her or the boys just for the cost of the hols is worrying.

Any advice gratefully received.

Sir Kitt Braker
2nd Apr 2003, 16:17
Well, don't die there or get murdered because they're currently into putting graffiti on the head stones. (see DT pictures this morning)

Otherwise, I quite like the French - I just couldn't eat a whole one....

FlyMD
2nd Apr 2003, 16:28
But, seriously...

I have a little house in southern France, and been spending about 3 weeks a year there for the last 15 years.
The simple answer to your question is that there is absolutely NO anti-British or anti-American feeling in France. First of all, they don't really care that much about the Iraq situation, and even when they do, I've found that most people down there are clever enough to distinguish between a misguided government and a citizen visiting their (beautiful) country.
Passing through french customs and immigration is a wonderful experience compared to the U.S., and I've found the french border guards to be polite and professional, no matter where you come from.
If you are dumb enough to start a conversation about politics with a Frenchman, you will hear some pretty strange and radical talk, but then, you started it, so there...
Enjoy the Côte d'Azur!

Sir Kitt Braker
2nd Apr 2003, 16:38
Hey FlyMD - I wouldn't go round calling the French Government 'misguided' out loud - even if it's true!

G SXTY
2nd Apr 2003, 17:01
Saddened to hear you’re even considering cancelling your trip. :(

My French in-laws would be shaking their heads in disbelief if they knew this was the kind of press they were getting over here. The worst you’re likely to encounter is the traditional gallic shrug of indifference. The other 90% of people you meet will be warm and friendly, so long as you can say s’il vous plait, merci, and avoid shouting at them in English. ;)

And as for the south being worse than the north – quite the opposite. Maybe it’s all the sun they get down there, but people are generally much more interested in red wine, pétanque & whiffy cheeses than politics!

freightdoggy dog
2nd Apr 2003, 17:39
GSXTY is spot on. Drove in on Sunday from GDL, the food and wine superb. Loaded up with cheap fags and went back to Germany where we met the Official Zoll at the border. We were stopped as they thought we had been moving vast amounts of Gold and Bonds into secret offshore accounts ( and no I don't look like Don Johnson!). On a loadies salary that was very funny, think they couldnt get their heads around us driving a left hooker on G plates. :cool:

Tolsti
2nd Apr 2003, 18:01
I am English, live in Paris and work for a major American company right next door to a major tourist attraction again American.(in origin at least.)

I eat and drink in Paris in French bars and restaurants. I have yet to witness or be sujected to any Anti US or UK feelings. True, there have been demonstrations and stones have been thrown at McDonalds but then again they demonstrate at the drop of a hat over here......

Most people seem more concerned about how to get to work tomorrow when it seems that just about all transport services will be seriously disrupted due to strike action.

Then again I don't walk around wearing British bulldog boxer shorts or Stars and Stripes Tshirts.

Sir Kitt Braker
2nd Apr 2003, 18:26
I was recently in the waiting room of our local maternity hospital, along with a Frenchman and a West Indian, all of us waiting to hear the good news about our wives in delivery.

Eventually, the midwife announced that all three of us were fathers to fine healthy boys, but unfortunately they had got the babies mixed up. I was asked to go in first and identify which one was I thought was mine but when I pointed to the black baby, she looked surprised. "Are you sure? - we'd have thought that was the least likely one to be yours", she said.

"Look", I replied, "one of the other two is French and I'm not taking any chances...."

Bigmouth
2nd Apr 2003, 20:27
I´ve been waiting for this...

"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes."
---Mark Twain

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know."
--- P.J O'Rourke (1989)

While speaking to the Hoover Institution the other day, Secretary Donald Rumsfeld was asked this question:
"Could you tell us why to date at least the Administration doesn't favor direct talks with the North Korean government? After all, we're talking with the French."
The Secretary smiled and replied:
"I'm not going there!"

"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."
--- Marge Simpson

Next time there's a war in Europe, the loser has to keep France.

An old saying:Raise your right hand if you like the French....Raise both hands if you are French.

"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it."
---John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona

How many Frenchmen does it take to change a light bulb?
One. He holds the bulb and all of Europe revolves around him.

"I don't know why people are surprised that France won't help us get Saddam out of Iraq. After all, France wouldn't help us get the Germans out of France!"
---Jay Leno

"The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it came marching into Paris under a German flag."
--David Letterman

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
--- General George S. Patton

You want it when?
2nd Apr 2003, 21:45
Any more jokes like that and I fear a ModBod will bounce this to my second home in JetBlast. :)

Thanks for the info on France, we've never had any trouble before, but I thought it better to ask someone who's been there recently if events are stirring up problems / issues.

TE RANGI
3rd Apr 2003, 01:14
It's interesting to note that no French have bothered to reply to this thread.

I agree with posts above that generally speaking, a little disdain from the French is all that you can fear. Beware though that the war in Iraq and its horror pictures, widely seen in France but not in America, may be changing attitudes very rapidly and very deeply. But we'd better leave the political debate aside from PPrune.

I know both countries quite well and I can assure you that the cliché of French arrogance is no more true than that of American ingenuity. Both countries have striking similarities and unsurmountable differences. America is a great country and France is very civilised.

I see no reason why you shouldn't enjoy your trip. Compared to the US, France has lots of charm, style and beauty. Crime rate is much lower, educational and cultural levels are considerably higher (education and healthcare are free) and so's the general living standard. As an added bonus, French food is far, far better (and healthier), not to mention their wines, and last but not least, French women are undisputedly prettier.

Good luck.

PS: I was forgetting that Airbus is now beating Boeing worldwide.

Onan the Clumsy
3rd Apr 2003, 03:37
Well done Bigmouth. Somebody asks a serious question and you trot out that tired email that wasn't funny when it first came out...how long ago?

Perhaps your posting would have had more impact were you to have been able to think of your own things to say.

sycamore
3rd Apr 2003, 03:58
Te Rangi
French women are not prettier....... than ESSEX GIRLS!
more attractive ? definitely! and they don`t shave ... or so I`ve been told!;)

Psr777
3rd Apr 2003, 04:28
Sorry couldn't resist it...........

"What is the difference between the French and toast?

You can make soldiers out of toast !!" :O :O

Seriously though, I spend a lot of time in the South of France and the people couldn't be nicer. They are definitely NOT anti British or American.

It would be a shame to cancel your trip, it is a great time of year with plenty going on. Enjoy and forget your troubles for a while.
:D :D

BillHicksRules
3rd Apr 2003, 04:34
YWIW,

R U serious? or is it a windup?

I mean should French tourists feel afraid to come to the UK?

Of course not!!!

Have some sense man!!!

You want it when?
3rd Apr 2003, 05:05
BillHicksRules (great name by the way - agree) of course I'm serious.

My wife is American I'm English - all I've seen in the trade press and comics is French people smashing up American chains (probably owned by French) and War Cemetaries being defaced. I'd be an asshole if I took my family into an area where racial hatred was at that level.

Rob_L
3rd Apr 2003, 05:20
The French are always afraid when they come to Britain, they have to eat the food, drink the beer and suffer the weather.
Not only that but they have the English sense of humour to put up with.
However a long term friend from Paris who used to be married to an Englishman was absolutely horrified when I suggested that she might move back to France when her childrens education was finished.

France PAH!!!!, ITS FULL OF FRENCH MEN!!!!!!!!!!!

wallabie
3rd Apr 2003, 16:04
You want it when ??
Quite a name by the way.
I am bewildered at the amount of worries people have about travelling to France. Trust me, it is a lot easier to be American or British in France these days than travel the Us as a french citizen.
The bulk of the nation opposes the war ! So what ? Does someone with a different opinion spook you that much ???
As someone else put it, people here have a lot more important things to worry about than harrass american or british. You are only scaring yourself with your shadow.
I've seen american paxs board my aircraft with their passeport turned upside down so their nationality wouldn't appear almost thinking they were going to be abused by the crew. When jokingly remarked on they looked so sheepy and apologetic it was unreal and unnerving at the same time. You'd wonder what the media tell them over there.
My modest psychological knowledge leads me to ask you how you would treat a french in England if you were to see one ???
The french press doesn't lash out like those pathetic tabloïds and everyone here is entitled to have his own opinion.
Just like anywhere else in the world you'll have people demonstrating against what they feel is not right and unfortunatly sometimes in absolutly unacceptable ways which by the way remain so marginal that they have to be as shocking/ provocative as profaning british war cemeteries. This would enrage anyone in his own mind. If this is enough to spook your american wife and your sensitive british soul, well then tough on you mate.
The rest of the anglo-saxon community living here will continue sipping wine on your behalf.

PS : Equally stupid, lot of schools have cancelled their trips to England for fear the kids would be abused. This is only feeding fear and everyone knows that extremists thrive on fear.

ramsrc
3rd Apr 2003, 17:53
You want it when?

I wouldn't be overly concerned about anti-American or anti-British feeling in France. I have travelled to most parts of France over the years and have only ever had one occurrence of what should probably be classified as narrow-mindedness rather than racism.

I was refused service in a small petrol station because I was driving a car on German number-plates. I waited for ten minutes while the owner filled other cars and when I asked him why he wasn't serving me, (in fluent French) he told me he was closed.

When I recounted this incident to an old friend of mine, she was mortified, and this would reflect the opinions of the majority of the French. Of course there is a racist element, but there is in any country.

My advice would be to go to France, enjoy it, drink the wine, eat the cheese and patronise as many different restaurants as you can. The restauranteurs need as much help as they can get at the moment - given the bizarre policy of the French government which allows fast food restaurants (like Le McDo) to charge 5.5% TVA (VAT) as opposed to 19.6% for "proper" restaurants!

flyblue
3rd Apr 2003, 20:23
You want it when?,

I was really saddened upon knowing you thought you might be abused in France. The French people are very tolerant of different opinions, and I believe much of their political problems in the present situation started because they expected the same from their political counterparts. It's a part of the French culture to be able to express one's opinions freely and let others do the same. I never felt any animosity towards American or British people, and if you ever had this idea because of anything you could learn from the media, well, that's a proof that they are quite misleading and are doing this to put you guys on the defensive.
About French press, it is a part of the culture too to criticise and satyrise openly anything, french government first. The satyrical newspaper Le canard enchainé was defined on another forum "anti American". Well, if it's anti American it is also anti French, because it doesn't wear gloves on dealing with any French politician. It's just that nobody gets a preferential treatment. The French have the habit of being auto-critical and don't treat others differently than they would do with themselves.

Squawk7777
3rd Apr 2003, 20:58
There're people who can live with criticism, tolerance and open-mindeness...

and there're the ones who cannot. Those are usually the ones that point their fingers always towards others, scream the loudest and want to ban Harry Potter etc.

My favorite line I have seen here on this forum by a ppruner is: "Think, think, think! It'll hurt at the beginning but you'll get used to it"

How true.

7 7 7 7

You want it when?
3rd Apr 2003, 21:18
OK OK :D, were going. I've always enjoyed any time in France and I'm looking forward to this one just as much. I just wanted to get a feeling from recent visitors about the sort of reception a Yank is going to get.

I guess if it's nasty we can always leave.

wallabie
3rd Apr 2003, 21:52
You want it..................

The other day I was in a café more than willing to pay my due when the owner just plainly turned his back on me the minute I asked for the bill. Do not fret and go into deep paranoïa, they sometimes do these sort of things............to anyone including americans ! Fly Blue is right, they do not take gloves and it starts right among themselves.
I concur, enjoy, sip the wine, patronize as many restaurants as you can, MacDonald is abusing an already very abusive tax system and if your boys ask you for a Hamburger.....................put them on the first flight home to Granny !
One tip though, if you're driving in Nice, you want to keep your car and trunck locked even while driving. Car jacking has turned into a local trend.
You will come home, safe, having the satisfaction of having beaten the odds of survival and you'll see the look of admiration in your countrymen's eyes. As to your wife and kids they'll think of you are a mixture of Tarzan and Lord Montgomory ( I'd say this is worth the trip !!! :)

Allow me to just try something while droping by :

SCREW THE FRENCH !!!!!!! ( Danny, don't make me pay too high of a price for this, I'm still on bail !)

So that's what makes you tick ?? That's odd, I don't feel a thing.

snchater
3rd Apr 2003, 22:20
I've just returned from a 4-day flying trip around Northern France- Lille, Reims and Calais(weathered in). There was no dicernable anti British feeling despite constant war coverage on French TV. The ATC man at Calais couldn't have been more helpful using his own internet access to update us on the weather.

GK
5th Apr 2003, 23:45
Jay Leno & David Letterman both host popular, late night talk-shows in the US. They are both well-know for their satircal comments on the Bush administration.

"President Bush announced tonight that he believes in democracy and that democracy can exist in Iraq. They can have a strong economy, they can have a good health care plan, and they can have a free and fair voting. Iraq? We can't even get this in Florida."
Jay Leno

"President Bush has said that he does not need approval from the UN to wage war, and I'm thinking, well, hell, he didn't need the approval of the American voters to become president, either."
David Letterman

"Well, it looks like we've moved a step closer to war. Not with Iraq. With France and Germany. How did we screw that one up?"
Jay Leno

"As we head to war with Iraq, President Bush wants to make one thing clear:
This war is not about oil, it's about gasoline."
Jay Leno

"In a speech earlier today President Bush said if Iraq gets rid of Saddam Hussein, he will help the Iraqi people with food, medicine, supplies, housing, education - anything that's needed. Isn't that amazing? He finally comes up with a domestic agenda - and it's for Iraq. Maybe we could bring that here if it works out."
Jay Leno

"President Bush said this Iraq situation looks like 'the rerun of a bad movie.' Well sure, there's a Bush in the White House, the economy's going to hell, we're going to war over oil. I've seen this movie, haven't I?"
Jay Leno

"CNN said that after the war, there is a plan to divide Iraq into three parts ... regular, premium and unleaded."
Jay Leno

"The Pentagon still has not given a name to the Iraqi war. Somehow 'Operation Re-elect Bush' doesn't seem to be popular."
Jay Leno

"In an interview with Dan Rather, Saddam has challenged President Bush to a live, televised debate. I think this would be fair, since English is a second language to both of them."
Jay Leno

salzkorn
6th Apr 2003, 17:27
well, first of all I'm French and would like to thank all the people here who made constructive answers....
I confess I'm rather surprised... because I've seen more anti-French messages on PPrune, than pro-French...
well...

Like everywhere else, we have our bunch of bastards.... but hopefully the majority will welcome British and American people warmheartedly... of course, behave like a respectful tourist, not like a conqueror, and everything would go fine !!
and you won't find here the strong and obvious patriotism you would find in the US for example...

concerning the violation of a British war cemetery.... given what was written on the gravestones, I' not deeply convinced this has been done by... let's say... long-time French-rooted "Gallic" people...

Bigmouth
6th Apr 2003, 17:33
Very true salzkorn, not much patriotism in France or in Europe in general.
Unfortunately they make up for it with nationalism...

wallabie
6th Apr 2003, 20:05
Bigmouth

Surely you must be jesting ?? Must you not ?

What is your definition of patriotism ?? Waving little flags on the road side shouting " blow the mother f....s to dust, yeah, way to go !!! Or I'll gut you !!! "
Well then, you are spot on, not much patriotism in France or in Europe.
Nationalism ??? Well, we just managed to build the EEC in about 50 years, 15 countries so far after 3 wars that depleted the whole of Europe of young men and that, if not for a few people's wisdom, would have been enough to start centuries of resentment. Not so.
I don't see a weed of nationalism there.

I'd kindly advise you to trot to the nearest Barnes and Noble store, history section, far corner to the right..........there you are, good boy ! You should find a few books to " enlighten " you a tad on world affairs.

PorcoRosso
6th Apr 2003, 22:19
Any US or UK citizen is welcome here.
Personnally I am against this war; your leaders think differently , you may support it or not , you have your own reasons. But you are welcome here.
If you think we bother that much to insult people just because they are US or UK ... It's a bit sad.

3MTA3
7th Apr 2003, 02:13
I used to live near Toulouse, and I remember that in some villages around the mayor was British. You're very welcome in France, and stop beleiving what the TV says

wallabie
7th Apr 2003, 20:12
The mayor British ?????!!!!!!

Where on earth did you see that ?? You must have confused him with Ken Linvingstone..........mayor of London.
Unless you are a french citizen, you are not allowed to vote and even less to hold public office.

3MTA3
7th Apr 2003, 20:45
Wallabie, thanks for knowing better than a Frenchman how it works here. Here's the official text:

Quelles sont les conditions pour être élu ?
- être de nationalité française (sauf pour les élections municipales et européennes, auxquelles les ressortissants d'un État membre de l'Union européenne résidant en France peuvent participer)

I will translate (not for you, obviously you speak French, it's a minimum to know how this country works)

Conditions to be elected (general elections)
-To be a French citizen (except for the council elections and for the European parliament, where any EU citizen residing in France can participate)

I guess UK is part of the EU. I confirm, there are British mayors in some French villages
:p ;)

Crótalo
8th Apr 2003, 06:00
I too am planning a trip to France later this month, and am very much looking forward to it, despite current events.

I have always found the French, as individuals, to be very pleasant and friendly, even though I'm one of "those Yanks". I'm sure that you will have a very enjoyable time and not encounter any problems if your family sticks to normal rules of politeness (i.e. no loud-mouth shouting of political views, etc. :p ).

DrSyn
8th Apr 2003, 08:11
One should not confuse national politics with individuals. French politics have been aggravating to "Les Anglos" since time immemorial, as no doubt have ours to them. We regard Napoleon as being on a par with Hitler, for the misery he inflicted on Europe, while France still holds him as a hero. A national difference.

As a Man of Kent having been raised closer to mainland France than to London, I have many lifelong froggie friends, and hospitality in France remains superb. You have nothing to worry about.

However, I wish they'd keep their hands off my wife . . . . . .AMEX!!!
http://ourworld.compuserve.co.uk/TheDrSyn/GB21/AMEX.JPG
(From last summer's Gatbash)

Ludo
8th Apr 2003, 20:51
Bigmouth, I think you read the definition of "nationalism" backwards.
What Europe has achieved in the last 50 years, as wallabie (whose franco-french blood must boil with indignation 3MTA3 ;) ) says, demonstrate it fought any kind of nationalism to build the Union. And I don't think the French are the ones who can be accused of flying solo...
Throughout Europe people demonstrate in the street against the war. What should the governments do? Like in Italy or Spain, where people hang flags outside the windows or make noise every day banging on pans outside their homes to show their contempt of a government who betrays its people?
Who's chosing egoistic economic interests against common interests?