PDA

View Full Version : Cabair Priorities over self sponsored students

Landing Gear
2nd Apr 2001, 18:46
I heard officially today that EPST students will be given priority over self sponsored students.

Is their money greener than ours ??

Can anyone shed some light on this 'cos Cabair's attituse is reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally pissing me off !!!!!

------------------
...Gear down.... Three green .....

[This message has been edited by Landing Gear (edited 02 April 2001).]

ickle black box
2nd Apr 2001, 19:23
If you search back through a few days, you'll find a big discussion here, regarding the same question about OATS. There are general comments and experiences posted, which may also apply to Cabair.

ickle

G FORCE
3rd Apr 2001, 00:15
This is not a new practice, for years Cabair
have PI**ED off its self sponsored studends.
You will have to go in and give Dyson and Sharwood a hard time to get a little action again. I guess the tech aircraft pproblem is still the same !!!!!!!.

Oh yes and guess what you wont get any of the promised help in finding a job either.

I found mine with out them, they do not have
links to god !!!!!!!!!!!!

little red train
3rd Apr 2001, 00:43
If you Piss one self sponsord student of thats tough, at worst the student will leave and they'll keep half the cash.

Pissing of a Sponsord Student coule lose a whole deal with a company (yet another one in Cabairs case).

Every person has an Income value on there head. The Schools know that and prorites accordingly. isn't the biggest problem in a well run school with plenty of equipment, but this is cabair were talking about.

TheNavigator
3rd Apr 2001, 03:59
But pis...ing one self sponsored might pi..s off all the other self sponsored or even prevent a pis..d self sponsored wannabee to even get close to that school. It certainly applies to me!
I wonder what are the relative numbers here? Are there more self sponsored of airline sponsored? This might be a dangerous attitude for the schools concerned.

Just a view!

TheNavigator

Fly_146
3rd Apr 2001, 04:26
Surely the colleges, with their wealth of experience, must know that on an average year an instructor will fly so many hours, and an average a/c will be unserviceable for so many days/hours in that year. When they know how many students to expect, they know how many instructors and a/c they need!

I remember Cabair last year cut their fleet back so 'thin' that the poor a/c could not cope with the demands placed on them, and spent a shed load of time U/S. As a result, the crew room was full of steaming cadets, and eventually the sponsored guys got any a/c available while self sponsored people where grounded for weeks. What sort of an efficient operation is that? Surely for all those lost flying hours and extra maintenance costs, they'd be better off putting a few extra Cheetahs online? There’s plenty of them at Elstee!

At least their communication skills are improving: they are telling you like it is. Wonder how the Katanas will cope with the busy summer schedule!

Honest Frank
3rd Apr 2001, 19:01
I was "Grabair" sponsored a few years ago and I remember being pushed to the back of the queue when it came to flying so that "airline sponsored" guys could go first.

This was happening to another guy who was "self sponsored" and he ended up complaining to Tim "nice but dim" SharKland.

Also remember an AirUK sponsored guy being given 3 days notice to get out of his room in the local halls of residence so that a new BA cadet could have it.

Took ages to complete my non approved IR there due to; lack of instructors,
aircraft going tech,
airline sponsored guys getting preference,
simulator being upgraded at short notice(after driving up to CFD to find all slots on one sim cancelled without notice)this went on for weeks instead of days.
Stories at sCabair----too many to mention?

Landing Gear
3rd Apr 2001, 22:51
THE NAVIGATOR,

The split between self sponsored and air line sponsored is around 50/50. It's not on to treat us this way and I hope this thread will be read by future wannabes, so be prapared !!
On the side of ground school if you foul up exams and ask politely if you could get some ground instruction for retakes you get told by PH in a kind manner to be on your way unless you pay for hours you might need, things are not getting any better. Nothing against PH (great guy), he just has to pass on what the MANAGEMENT says.

FLY_146

Just the other day there were cadets on the ground unable to fire up a katana 'cos three of them had an inch or so of water in them from the rain, so if it's not a techy it'll be the elements! I think in summer the sun will melt the plastic body and it'll go U/S again !!

HONEST FRANK

On Friday, there was one particular student who got in at 8am as told only to not fly for the whole day 'cos "OTHER" students had to go first. That student was really, really pi*** off wots more totally helpless.

LG

[This message has been edited by Landing Gear (edited 05 April 2001).]

Mr Magoo
3rd Apr 2001, 23:26
Please don't tar PH with that particular brush - IMHO he's a spot on guy who goes out of his way to help nice but dim students.

springbok449
3rd Apr 2001, 23:33
Yeah G FORCE I seem to remember somebody saying something about helping you get a job, well same as you I got my job without their help eventually.
So are there still some sponsored students at CFD then?
Just to reply to one of the above posting I'm sure that PH would allow you to sit in for extra lessons if he was not under pressure from the thieves.

Fly_146
4th Apr 2001, 04:46
Landing Gear;

I have to say some of your comments are a tad personal for an open forum like this. Trying name and shame an instructors is not on - its an internal matter for you to sort out.

Everyone knows the Katana’s don't fit the job they are tasked with, and hopefully Cabair will see sense soon and send them back.

Perhaps the reason certain sponsored cadets have been given priority for flying by your instructor at this particular time is because they are close to finishing and have passed all their exams.

Happy Flying!

[This message has been edited by Fly_146 (edited 05 April 2001).]

Call the tower
4th Apr 2001, 08:44
Well well well..

Seems CRAPAIR have alot to answer for..

Lets put it this way.. If you were staying in a 5 star hotel for a week on your anual holidays and you got a sh!ty room, people were rude , the place was run down and the facilities were under repair or just didn't work at all. Would you stay at that hotel...I think not.. You would complain to management hopefully get some sort of compensation and never return to that hotel again!

What it will take is for ALL self-sponsored cadets to get the hell out of there. That would send them up the sh!t, money would be scarce and Airlines would start pulling their cadets out of the CRAPAIR school and the company would have to SERIOUSLY change thier attitude and surprise surprise management skills aswell.

It doesn't matter who is paying the money airline or individual people, YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER and so deserve the service you would expect for 50,000 quid. Aircraft available when YOU need them, instructors available and a complemetary coffee every morning before a flight.

One or 2 people leaving wouldn't do it...it's needs you all.

Super Stall
4th Apr 2001, 11:56
I too got my job without any assistance from Cabair, but credit where credits due, through their direct involvment Cabair did manage to get me two other interviews, one which led to a job offer (jets). However you must do well on the course, as others have mentioned, they don't want to ruin their relationships with airlines by sending them below par students in both the ability and personallity departments.

Both airlines btw had previously sent rejection letters asking for 1500 hrs 500 multi blah, blah..... I had 180TT.

no sponsor
4th Apr 2001, 14:08
I know of a chap who quit Cabair as a self sponsored student because he could never get any priority on aircraft. The airline sponsored go to the front of the queue. This means you are told to wait until the end of the day etc etc.

He got all his money back after having a chat, and has gone elsewhere.

Landing Gear
5th Apr 2001, 00:02
FLY_146

Sorry old chap you have the wrong person.
PT3 ???? I haven't even got PT1 due to bad weather and the "OTHER" students.

Nothing personal when it comes to PH (not intending to tar anyone here Mr Magoo), he's a great lecturer and indeed goes out of his way and I look forward to the next 7 subjects in a few weeks time. When I commented before about his (PH's) reply that's due to the MANAGEMENT deciding that no one gets any free tuition any more, has been since January 2001. PH is only repeating what they have stated, not his fault.

Hope this helps.

LG

Fly_146
5th Apr 2001, 03:03
Crumbs - what did the guy say to get a full refund from Cabair? Wish I could get that and go somewhere else!

[This message has been edited by Fly_146 (edited 05 April 2001).]

MoroccoMole
5th Apr 2001, 15:58
I did an upgrade at Cabair. My instructor was excellent. The ground Admin wasn't. If you go, be as arogant as possible. Turn up at the crack of dawn and if necessary make a seen in the ops room to get your aircraft. Mr sharkland seems not to like confrontaions therefore if you get jumped have a shout at him. Its your hard earned money.
The above worked for me. I was jumped once but after the fuss I caused never again.
To cabairs credit they can be very reasonable, they helped me out on the perf A course.

[This message has been edited by MoroccoMole (edited 05 April 2001).]

Wee Weasley Welshman
5th Apr 2001, 16:33
It is a universal truth though chaps that students who prefer to laze in bed all day rather than be in Ops at Oh My God Its Early with a planned route, weight and balance calc and a sound plan of action ready for their instructor WILL get ahead in the programme.

In 'some' ways I think this is a good thing. I *know* its big bucks you are paying but its not School, nobody is going to chase you for your work and nobody will send an end of term report to your Mum...

That said there is little excuse for consistent poor planning of a flying programme. Take some comfort in the fact that your complaints re Cabair are always heard at other schools to some extent at least.

Good luck,

5th Apr 2001, 20:32
Now come on Landing Gear,
I know for a fact that you are PT3, I was there when you got it.
If you are going to lie about who you are then why should people believe what you say about Cabair?
Don't make me name and shame you, not that I could ever spell it!!!
And for all those people that have a go at Katanas, how many of you have actually flown them?