PDA

View Full Version : Flying for Free

Slotty
1st Apr 2003, 23:56
I was chatting with another Pilot and he mentioned that some ex military and ex rig pilots are flying charter work for free just to keep their hand in, if this is true???(not sure) then isn't this going to cause the new CPL's problems when they have spent bucket loads of cash and can't get anything back. Would appreciate some feedback, thanks.

Helinut
2nd Apr 2003, 00:13
This sort of situation happens from time to time. Before you start accusing people of all sorts of terrible things though, everyone should take a step back and think a bit.

I am a UK self-funded ATPL(H), started as an hours building instructor. I "subsidised" myself through the early years by paying a fortune to train; I then supported myself by doing consultancy work in my previous profession while waiting for any instruction/flying time that came along. It was nearly 5 years before I was able to support myself flying. I was lucky to be able to do that - Is it unfair that I was able/willing to do this when others could or chose not to?

The basic problem is one of supply and demand. Lots of us want to fly helicopters; the demand for such services is limited and very variable. This enables employers/operators to pick and choose and force down the price (especially if they are not concerned with quality).

My personal preference would be to see more helicopter flying. Overall though, I do not think this is going to happen - if you want to have a go at somebody I would moan about the gross over-regulation and the burdens that imposes on the industry. This reduces the total amount of flying considerably (UK anyway)

Slotty
2nd Apr 2003, 00:23
Helinut thanks for the reply, I'm not trying to moan honestly, I have a job flying and got there the hard way also (many jobs and ex girlfriends) but as an Instructor I feel for students I meet who are trying so hard to find that bottom rung position and are getting knocked back, I too would like to see more flying and I applaud and admire the PPL who drives miles to get 20 minutes in a helicopter just to get closer to that 155 hours.I guess while employers can choose to cut costs then they will, I just thought it was sad.