PDA

View Full Version : Emirates

Elvis21
1st Apr 2003, 21:38
Just want to say a massive thumbs up to the Emirates flights I was on last week to and from Dubai. The crew were outstanding and it was the best flight I have ever had. Will certainly be putting my money their way again.

Many thanks

Elvis ;) :)

PAXboy
3rd Apr 2003, 01:06
I have not travelled them but only heard good things said about them.

Globaliser
3rd Apr 2003, 11:07
One gripe from a trip in November. 10 abreast in a 777 (LHR-DXB). I felt like I should have gone to the gym first.

They made up for it a bit by providing a very empty rear cabin in the A330 on my last sector (DXB-LHR).

Mike Blackburn
3rd Apr 2003, 19:27
I have not been as impressed with Emirates. Okay, they ran to time, and the cabin crew were okay, but are they really that good? I don't believe that they are so much better than any of the other big name airlines, (serving South Africa- BA, SAA etc).
I suppose there may be a difference if you are lucky enough to fly first class or business, but I think that in cattle class there is really not much difference...

I also have found that they are much more expensive than the other airlines serving Johannesburg, and why put up with Dubai airport, which in my opinion is awful, when you could fly direct and for less with one of the other airlines...

Elvis21
3rd Apr 2003, 23:36
Guess it just comes down to opinion, becasue I think Dubai airport is one of the best:p

carrioke
3rd Apr 2003, 23:51
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. As emirates crew, it is always nice to hear some positive feedback, as in this industry people are all to quick to complain.

Am sorry Globaliser found it a bit of a squash on our B777,( 3-4-3 )but please correct me if I am wrong but I think that is pretty standard configuration nowadays. The A330 on your return flight is only 2-4-2 across because it is a much smaller aircraft, so I guess it is all relative .

Sorry Mike Blackburn didn't have the best time .Our crew do aim to pleasure and we want all our pax to have a great time first time and everytime, but there is always a few who let the side down in every airline but i am glad the majority of you have not had this!! I can also agree with your comments about the flights to and fro South Africa. Emirates is the only airline from Dubai that flies direct to Jo Burg.Kenyan fly via Nairobi, so it is a popular flight,especially since Air India have cut their flights there, so I guess as demand is so high they can afford to put the fares up! i just hope you have a better flight with us next time and please PM me when you travel and I will do my best to ensure that you have a better opinion of Emirates .

Have to say love our food on board but the little airline Com Air in South Africa, wow love their Woolworths meals! Very tasty!

zed3
4th Apr 2003, 15:54
Flew Emirates Business Class Dusseldorf-Dubai-Johannesburg and return last November and was impressed with the product and service . The lounge in Dubai helps with that 3 hour wait. I have booked again for this October with the family same route and Business Class as the fares are in my view very reasonable.
I like them and will continue to use them and have now joined Skywards.

KiloMIke
4th Apr 2003, 16:43
Carrioke,

Most of the airlines I handle have a 9 abreast config on the 777.

Either 2-5-2(yuk) or 3-3-3. However this is on 777-200.

I did hear that EK were they only ones to have 10 abreast but not sure about this.

Mike Blackburn
4th Apr 2003, 22:24
Carrioke,

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant.. I did not HATE Emirates, but what I wanted to convey was that I did not think that they were OUTSTANDING. I thought that the service was good, the food was good and the flight was on time.

I think my opinion may have been affected by the Dubai airport experience, which I did not enjoy.. (Construction, idiots driving golf cars almost running over innocent travellers, people sleeping in the corridors, and no shower facilities that I could find)

Basically the point is that I dont think that they are any better, or any worse (which is what I should have said in my first post) than any other airline. Also, to be fair, it is not the fault of your airline that they have to route through Dubai.....

Might take you up on your offer though!

PAXboy
5th Apr 2003, 00:49
Some of the BA 777s are 10 across, I understand, on the high density routes to Florida.

Friends of mine are travelling LHR/ JNB with Emirates today. They went because the prices were the lowest(!) but are expecting a seven hour wait in transit .... :(

Comair in South Africa is the BA franchise and have been around for some years and are good. As is there start-up Kulula, which is an LCC and expanding rapidly.

carrioke
6th Apr 2003, 07:58
Pax boy, shame just missed your friends. Just got back an hour or 2 ago! and Mike sure any time, please feel free to PM me when you go on your next EK flight. Dubai Airport is a bit of marathon I agree. The one good thing about it for me, is it keeps me fit when I am running to my dept gate when I am a pax and when I am hurdling over those golf cars!!!:O

Tomb Raider
6th Apr 2003, 18:35
Paxboy,
None of BA's 777's are 10 abreast.They are all 9(3-3-3).There WERE 3 a/c based at LGW that had 10,these were all reconfiged some 2 years ago.
I believe Thai and Emirates are the only big name carriers to have 10 abreast in economy on 777's.

PAXboy
7th Apr 2003, 02:22
T.R. Thanks, I heard about it because of the hoo-hah that BA ran into with a client who had picked a seat of a chart showing 3-3-3 and then found it was 3-4-3 and got some compensation. Sounds as if lessons were learnt!

Sharjah Night Shift
7th Apr 2003, 03:27
Allegedly Emirates give you a bit more legroom in return for 3-4-3 seating on their 777s, but even JAL use 3-3-3 on their domestic 777 flights.

PAXboy
9th Apr 2003, 21:43
Just received an email from my friends that went to JNB last weekend.

I should say that they only ever travel Y ane, on one occasion when upgrade by BA to WTP - they were not that impressed!

They said "Emirates knock spots off BA"

EGCC_pax
18th Apr 2003, 08:05
I have been lucky enough to fly EK twice on MAN - DXB - DAC sector. The crew where excellent absolutely no complaints at all.The A330 & 777's that EK use I have not had any problems with leg room(probily helps because I am 5' 7"). The meals where tasty and nothing was too mutch trouble.
:ok:
Paul

paulc
24th Apr 2003, 22:32
Agree with the nice things being said about Emirates -I flew them BHX - DXB then 4 days later DXB - HKG - did the return HKG - DXB -LHR in 1 hit though and was impressed with all aspects.

I do agree that 3-4-3 is a bit 'cosy' on the 777 although there was better leg room on the 777 than the A330.