PDA

View Full Version : Carb Icing - Diesel (jet-A1) Engines

EchoKiloEcho
1st Apr 2003, 21:30
ONE OF THE REASONS FOR CARB ICING IN NORMAL (AVGAS) AIRCRAFT ENGINES IS THE PROCESS OF FUEL EVAPORATING (IF YOU POUR SOME AVGAS ON YOUR FINGERS YOU WILL UNDERSTAND - COLD).

WITH DIESEL FUELS, THIS IS NOT THE CASE, THE FUEL DOESNT EVAPORATE LIKE AVGAS, SO WILL THE NEW TECHNOLOGY DIESEL AIRCRAFT ENGINES GET CARB ICING? DOES ANYONE KNOW?

:)CHECK:
http://www.wilksch.com
http://www.dair.co.uk

Genghis the Engineer
1st Apr 2003, 22:10
One of the other common reasons behind carb icing in Avgas engines is that they use carburettors.

Given that diesel cycle engines don't, they use fuel injectors, the odds of carburettor icing seem slim.

G

EchoKiloEcho
1st Apr 2003, 23:30
Genghis the Engineer

Are all diesel engines fuel injected?

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Apr 2003, 02:50
I wouldn't swear that there aren't any exotic devices out there I've not met, but I've not met any that weren't. But, I'm 99.9(recurring) % sure none use carburettors.

The fuel injection / air intake system is still called the carburation system, but that's not the same thing.

G

bandit54
12th Apr 2003, 16:02
i belive diesel engines would suffer some INDUCTION icing if the conditions were right (wrong) mainly on the bends in the inlet trunking
correct me if I'm wrong as I only work on hgv's

cirrus01
13th Apr 2003, 01:43
If you used road going diesel fuel DERV and then flew well above the freezing level.......Cold soaking the tanks .......the fuel would likely suffer from "waxing".

But of course ......nobody is going to do that.......are they ???:oh:

Genghis the Engineer
13th Apr 2003, 02:16
There will always be environment related problems that can occur, fuel waxing is an obvious one, even with AVTUR you could potentially get into this regime. Induction icing other than in a carb is clearly a possibility, another which I have seen is air filter blockage due to waterlogging and cold conditions.

But, I'd not have thought that it was prudent to consider this in the same category as carb icing, since that is associated with a particular set of environmental conditions, and other environmental problems will inevitably have their own envelope.

G