PDA

View Full Version : How long has it took you?

Bluenose
2nd Apr 2001, 18:01
Hi all,

Currently at square one. Still trying to plow through A levels on a distant study basis. Once completed, I'm going for the modular route. Thing is, like us all, I want it so badly and the sooner the better. How long did it take you to start and progress on the rocky road to the right seat?

Bluenose

skylord757
2nd Apr 2001, 20:01
Bluenose it took me 5 yrs from start to finish, I did the self improver route became a Flying Instructor and build up my hours. It is a hard slog and there will be ups and downs just hold your head high and you will get there one day I promise.

-------------------------------------
BEWARE OF MOUNTAINS SOMEONE TOLD ME THEY LIKE TO HIDE IN CLOUDS!

jonathang
2nd Apr 2001, 20:55
I am currently at square one and I am looking for advice. I would be grateful if anyone could tell me if its worth getting a Private Pilots Licence before applying to BA's Sponsored Training?

Thanks

Jonathan

Oleo
2nd Apr 2001, 21:14
14 years... but that's not typical!!

Autofly
2nd Apr 2001, 21:40
Jonathang,

It all counts. If you can put down on the BA form that you have some flying experience the they won't mark you down for it but I have heard they don't like PPL's with loads of hours. You get into bad habbits or something along those lines are the stories that have been told to me. Having said that there is no reason why you shouldn't get on without any experience!

Some airlines (Atlantic) require you to have a PPL so I say go for it. You'll have a right laugh in the process.

Good luck

AF

jonathang
2nd Apr 2001, 22:18
Another question is about BA's Sponsored Training Program.

How much do they pay?

How much do you pay back?

What happens if you fail/leave the program do you pay the full ammount back?

Thanks,

Jonathan

rock_the_tower
3rd Apr 2001, 00:31
Took me 3 years from start to CPL/IR/ME/frozen ATPL with 230 hrs total (incl. 50 hrs multi). After that sending CVs. 6 months later went through selection of Crossair and got a job. Will start June 5th this year.

All the best for you and good luck !

rtt

ronchonner
3rd Apr 2001, 03:32
took me 2 years only,flight instructor and captain...i m one the happiest EU guy who left to the USA and did most of my training there.
it costed me 20'000 US dollars only for my ATP(1500h)...

Pielander
3rd Apr 2001, 04:01
Jonathang

They say you don't need flying experience, but I think it weakens your case considerably if you don't have any. Having said that, I think they'd be more than happy with a solo. At least then you know whether you actually like flying or not, and must be capable of doing it after a fashion. Just don't waste any time in applying, whatever you do. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Pie.