PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Jepp updates

Keef
1st Apr 2003, 06:36
We've just fitted a GNS430 into the trusty steed. Now I need to sort out the monthly database updates. There's a "new card a month" subscription from Jeppesen for 755 euros a year, or a "download it yourself" for 282 euros. Easy choice.

BUT ... the DIY one requires that we buy a PCMCIA card writer, which will connect to the internet and download the database each month. That's another little box costing 130 euros. Plus a blank card for 120 euros. All doable.

BUT BUT ... I don't have a computer with a PCMCIA slot to plug the Jepp card writer into. I'd like to use my ordinary PC, with its broadband connection. Has anyone else been here, and what's the solution? Do Jepp offer a USB card writer that I haven't found? Or is there a device to plug a PCMCIA card into a USB port? Does that work OK with a USB broadband modem running at the same time?

H e l p !

TeamTerminal
2nd Apr 2003, 19:11
Well put one in. You can always install a PCMCIA slot in your desktop. It is no harder than installing any other aftermarket accessory. It takes up a 3.5"(Floppy) bay. Can't remember how much it cost as we did it a couple of years ago. We update the whole fleet this way.

Regards,
Team Terminal

rustle
2nd Apr 2003, 20:59
keef

Nip into PC World (or alternate supplier) and buy yourself a "three-in-one" - USB connected, external jobby.

Read/write PCMCIA, FLASH types of card - no dismantling the PC cos it is an external box. Portable so when your PC is "offline" a mate can still download the Jepp stuff and write the cards...

atb1943
2nd Apr 2003, 23:48
Keef

Recommend you check out their FAQs which you'll find at:
http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/index.jsp?section=support&content=faqs_products_skybound.html

And as far as I know they are developing a USB Datawriter too.

cheers

Keef
3rd Apr 2003, 00:10
Thanks! I like Rustle's idea best cos that means we can all update the card, depending on who's about, rather than needing to move internal kit between computers.

I've e-mailed Jepp to ask if they're joining the 21st century with a proper card writer. I wonder if a PCWorld one would do the job... Might find out soon.

But I see when you take out your first subscription, you are required to buy their PCMCIA device. Captive business!