PDA

View Full Version : Brits slams cowboy US Pilot

Gunship
31st Mar 2003, 20:01
A British soldier who survived a fatal friendly fire incident has launched a scathing attack on the US pilot responsible for killing his comrade.

"He (the pilot) had absolutely no regard for human life. I believe he was a cowboy... He'd just gone out on a jolly," Lance Corporal Steven Gerrard told The Times of London, regarding the incident on Friday.

Gerrard, 33, spoke to one of the paper's reporters from his bed aboard the British hospital ship Argus in the Gulf.

A British soldier was killed and four others were injured Friday in a friendly fire incident in southern Iraq, the fifth such casualty since the war began.

He was killed after an American A-10 tankbuster plane targeted two armoured vehicles near Iraq's second largest city Basra.

"You've got an A-10 with advanced technology and he can't use a thermal sight to identify whether a tank is a friend or foe. It's ridiculous," Gerrard said.

"Combat is what I've been trained for. I can command my vehicle. I can keep it from being attacked. What I have not been trained to do is look over my shoulder to see whether an American is shooting at me."

He added: "I'm curious about what's going to happen to the pilot. He's killed one of my friends."

Gerrard also criticised the pilot for shooting when there were civilians so close to the tanks.

"There was a boy of about 12 years old. He was no more than 20 metres away when the Yank opened up. There were all these civilians around."

Three of the injured British soldiers, including Gerrard, were flown home to Britain late on Sunday after being treated for shrapnel wounds and burns. A fourth remained in the hospital ship's intensive care unit, according to The Times.

"After this I am quite pleased to be going home," one of the wounded, Lieutenant Alex MacEwen, told the paper.

"'Blue-on-blue' has always been one of my biggest fears. It is something that my friends and family joked about. 'Don't worry about the Iraqis, it's the Americans you want to watch'. The proof is in the pudding really."

The fatal incident brought to five the number of British soldiers who have been killed by friendly fire since the US-led war on Iraq began on March 20.

On March 23, a US anti-missile Patriot missile shot down a British Tornado bomber, killing both pilots on board. A day later, two soldiers were killed when a British Challenger tank mistakenly opened fire on another Challenger tank.

slackbladder28
31st Mar 2003, 22:17
The Americans do seem to have a bit of a habbit of killing more or their allies than the enemy manages too. At least they did the last time it kicked off over there :rolleyes:

B Sousa
31st Mar 2003, 22:51
I understand the young mans being very Bitter. As the saying goes "friendly Fire Isnt"
Too shed some light on the situation, things go pretty fast when the Adrenaline is working and a lot of factors add to the trigger squeeze. It is a war, not a computer game and "Sh1t happens"
So now what do we say when a Torando kills a few Americans by mistake?? There is no way your going to get me to believe that pilot was out to kill anybody in the pipper. As also mentioned the Brits have fired on a few of their own.
Personally if someone had just had the Balls to Nuke that ******** Saddam, none of this would be happening. Its the same in all wars and getting worse with Political Correctness. Im sure We havent seen the end to mistakes.

The Claw
1st Apr 2003, 01:58
I would normally agree, but this time the Americans are doing it a little too often. The Americans have a serious problem which needs to be addressed. If you control the skies, then you can afford a few precautions before blazing away!? It's a desert not a jungle after all.

4HolerPoler
1st Apr 2003, 05:57
Whilst this sad story brings a tear to my eye it has no bearing on African Aviation.

Remember, I'm only the moderator - it's not my forum - it's yours - so, in an effort to keep everyone happy I'm making a thread - the Campfire, which will stay at the top of the thread list. Shoot the breeze there on whatever you want. Like what's happening in Iraq or Piet Koornhof's latest conquest. That way, if something does get posted on the forum & it's got zilch to do with flying in Africa, I'll dump it in the Campfire & you can boot it around there.

This thread's closed but feel free to continue this sort of conversation at the Campfire.

Let's see how it works.