View Full Version : What do you think?

Moon Runner
2nd Apr 2001, 14:09
I'm curious as to whether employment as a pilot is most likely if one possess both sufficient GCSE and 'A' Level grades together with an ATPL.

x/wind
2nd Apr 2001, 14:23
A levels and GCSEs show that the student is capable of studying and passing exams. It does NOT pre-suppose initiative and common sense, whereas common sense pre-supposes a degree of intelligence.

Which do you feel is more important to a prospective employer, all other things being equal? Whilst education is important, numbers of exams passed IMHO are not. Will he be an aviator, or just a pilot?! :)

Research your prospective employer and see just what they are looking for.

Hope it works, fellow flying person! :)

------------------
Always look on the bright side of life...

Brian Clough
2nd Apr 2001, 14:39
'Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of 18' - Albert Einstein

Just some form of intelligence will do just fine - an open minded pilot sees more

[This message has been edited by Brian Clough (edited 02 April 2001).]

x/wind
2nd Apr 2001, 16:19
Cloughie - when's the next Nott'm bash? Then you can tell me more about Einstein, and the limited intelligence needed to be a pilot!! :)

Just joking.

Seriously though, academic quals are obviously important, provided they are not used or sought to be used as a substitute for initiative. I've seen too many with degrees who haven't the initiative and common dog of an amoeba!

P & P again, Cloughie?

Cheers. :)

------------------
Always look on the bright side of life...

Moon Runner
2nd Apr 2001, 16:43
Thanks for your replies. I would like to ask the following questions:

Firstly, what is the chance of becoming a pilot if one has an ATPL?

Secondly, realistically is a C in Maths and a science subject at GCSE sufficient for employment with an airline?

Thirdly, is a degree essential, or is acquiring an ATPL as good as a degree?

In brief, I would like to know whether or not it is worth me personally funding my ATPL course and the chance of being employed on completion.

JT8
2nd Apr 2001, 17:06
Moon Runner,

1) Getting an airline job is very tough as you will understand after spending some time on this site. As I understand, your chances are a little better if you have an ATPL :)

2)A C at GCSE's will be ok. Note, if you're going for sponsorship you will be put against some very good applicants - the majority of the successful BA boys&gals are graduates.

3)A degree isn't essential, and in my opinion you can't compare it to an ATPL. If you are young and have money, go to uni, get a degree, have fun in the process. That will give you a backup before you start your training through sponsorship or self funding.
If you really dont fancy uni, just get you're A-Levels done and go for it.

Good luck

JT8 :)

Moon Runner
2nd Apr 2001, 17:20
Thanks for your reply JT8. I would have thought an applicant with sufficent grades and with an ATPL would be considerably more favourable than someone with just a degree. Obviously the concerned airline would not have to spend so much on training, so perhaps may look more closely at a person with a licence. What do you think?

JT8
2nd Apr 2001, 19:48
Moon Runner,

I think you missed the point.

Some airlines sponsor, some don't. If you apply for sponsorship you will need good grades and education in general. Competition is very tough. They will train you from scratch, pay for it (or some of it) and give you job.

To get a job with a non-sponsoring airline, you must be a qualified pilot ie have a frozen ATPL as a minimum. These airlines tend to worry less about grades etc. because they're not about to spend £20-50k on you. They want flying hours, typically 1500hrs - a lot more than you may have when just qualified.

A degree will help when applying for sponsorship, but much less when applying for jobs as a qualified pilot.

Hope that clears it up.

JT8 :)

Baggy
2nd Apr 2001, 19:51
I'd say so Moon Runner, but you could do both..

GJB
2nd Apr 2001, 20:03
I don't mind offering help or advice......but it irks me when the questionare has not made an effort to research his subject.