PDA

View Full Version : Cookie Problem?

Mad (Flt) Scientist
31st Mar 2003, 02:59
Since the site recovered, I've noticed that I have to log in each time, rather than cookie-ing in, as used to be the case.

I've checked my UserCP and all the relevant options seem to be selected on.

As an aside - email notification for threads has never worked, as far as I can tell. I browse other fora with VBulletin code, and those seem to have no problems, so I don't think it can be a firewall etc issue at my end.

Any thoughts, on either issue?

PaperTiger
31st Mar 2003, 04:40
Regardless of what's in your PPRuNe profile, it's your browser settings that govern cookies. Although there's no reason why the setting should have changed (unless you fiddled with it), check that you are accepting cookies. Tools,Internet Options, Advanced, then scroll down a ways.

Also you can check that there actually is a PPRuNe cookie on your system. (Delete your temporary files first to reduce the number of entries). Tools, Internet Options, Settings, View Files and look for an entry something like <yourname>.pprune.

If both the above are true, then I have no idea what's up :confused:

Mad (Flt) Scientist
31st Mar 2003, 08:34
Browser must be accepting cookies for my other board browsing to work. I've actually got pprune.org specifically PERMITTED to use cookies, but that was there before. Odd.
Multiple PPrune cookies (which may be a symptom of a problem, perhaps?)

Mad (Flt) Scientist
1st Apr 2003, 09:10
Have you tried clearing your pprune cookies? (Logging off then back on using your username and password)
No, but I will.
tried, no effect
Have you tried deselecting “Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)” and “Browse board with cookies?” and then reselecting them in your pprune user cp?
Yes
Have you tried turning off your firewall, anti-virus, etc, one at a time and checking for the same problem?
Not yet - will try that too
tried, no effect
Have you tried another browser like opera or mozilla.
No, but have had no problems previously with IE, or now on other boards. Last ditch option I guess.

proxus
3rd Apr 2003, 06:34
Each time I open pprune.org I'll have to log in
:(

I also have great deal of supscriptions that I do not get notified on, but that's in another threat.

Worked fine pre-crash.

proxus

Kotare
3rd Apr 2003, 17:08
Yep same here, and so far as I can see, I do have a pprune cookie. Worked Ok before, but now its log in each time.
Cheers

PFLsAgain
3rd Apr 2003, 20:46
Glad it's not just me. I have exactly the same problem. I've spent ages fiddling with the settings - allowing PPRUNE to do what it wants, etc, etc and nothing works. :(

proxus
5th Apr 2003, 01:13
Can anyone who is better than me explaining this problem ( and writes better english than me ) write and explain this problem to [email protected] .
and post the answer here. It seems that the moderator for this forum does not have a clue, or else he had probably posted something.

proxus

Rugz
7th Apr 2003, 22:03
What privacy settings do you have on IE?

Anything above Medium blocks cookies on vBulletin.

Hope this helps.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
8th Apr 2003, 10:12
Medium-High....
but pprune has been specifically exempted and, in any case, it's not inhibiting any other vBulletin sites, nor did it previously.
I'll try it next time, though, it's worth a shot...
OK, I tried that. Reset privacy, cleared cookies, set them off, logged out, came back, set cookies on, logged, out, came back - still no luck.
I'm convinced it's something at the server end - I can't believe all these people suddenly screwed up their own systems at the same time as the system got hacked....

PFLsAgain
20th May 2003, 21:40
Has anybody come up with a solution yet? I've tried everything I can think of, and nothing works. Funny thing is that it works OK on my computer at home with exactly the same settings. It only started to go wrong after the crash, and frankly it's driving me crazy. (OK, I should get out more, but I have to know!).

proxus
21st May 2003, 02:47
When I deleted all my cookies, thinks got back to normal tools>internet options>delete cookies.

Proxus

BOAC
21st May 2003, 04:33
I think wdtbd is busy! He has a day job. If it is any help, I am talking to the top of the tree about the PM problem and will raise this too.

Danny
21st May 2003, 05:57
The problem, 99% of the time, is a corrupt cookie. Follow these steps:

1. Log Out (even if you are already logged out as this usually deletes pprune cookies) or just go to: http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?s=&action=logout

2. Go your browsers settings for cookies and delete any cookies for 'pprune.org' that you find.

3. QUIT/EXIT your browser (Not just the window you were in).

4. Restart your browser.

5. Go to http://www.pprune.org and log in with your Username and password.

If the above doesn't stop the problem then I'm afraid I can't help you. The problem is invariably a corrupt cookie on your PC.

PPRuNe Towers
21st May 2003, 17:47
This really is down to your own set up.

Let's apply some logic here:

Firstly 43,000 visited the site yesterday and nearly 50% were logged on. 3,000 of them made posts, checked mail or altered some portion of their settings.

Secondly PFL has settings that work on one machine and not another. We do not sit here at the Towers monitoring whether naughty people log on from work and block their cookies - however, that could be a way of us making shed loads of dosh:E :E :E

Options:

Do as Danny suggests

Use another browser

Create another username with a spare e-mail address and see what happens.

Log on from other peoples' machines - if they're OK you've simply got to accept you're probably using Bill Gates software and anything can happen :}

Regards
Rob

PFLsAgain
21st May 2003, 20:00
Thanks guys. Tried all of your solutions and none worked. I'm just putting it down to Mr. Gates's "fine" software. Another entry has just been made to my list of reasons for disliking the man! :mad: