PDA

View Full Version : Release and waiver of Liability

nikki
30th Mar 2003, 22:51
What are your thoughts on having every passenger sign a Release of Liability form be for anyone gets in the helicopter??

I've flown in a variety of settings such as training, photo flights, news flights etc. Sometimes I’m required to sign a waiver releasing them from liability if anything happens and sometimes they don't require anything signed.

I've asked different folks on the matter of importance and have gotten equally different responses. Anywhere from, it's not worth the paper it's written on, to it's a must before any flight, and some say it's a band-aid that might help a bit but in the end your still liable if your the operator and your still going to be sued.

Anyone know for sure or have had any experience with it?

Thanks,
nik.

SASless
30th Mar 2003, 23:21
Nikki....

You might ask Flying Lawyer for his opinion.....in the US...one cannot sign away your legal rights thus such waivers do not hold much water despite some use of them.

Vfrpilotpb
30th Mar 2003, 23:47
Nikki,

My old granddaddie always said," Sign nowt Lad, till a lawyer has read it first" then get him to sign it, in otherwords dont sign it, remember what legal types always put on a contract for purchase,
"Caveat Emptor" hope that is spelt correctly, it means" Buyer Beware";)

Thomas coupling
31st Mar 2003, 00:30
It's similar to "the management are not responsible for the safety of your car in this car park" and others. I believe it is an insurance requirement to comply with 'duty of care' but carries no weight in terms of liability should the crunch come.
If pax had to sign before flying. Commercial air transport wouldn't get off the ground because of the sheer weight of paperwork at the airports.:eek: