PDA

View Full Version : Where to do CPL/IR/MCC

Trainee pilot
1st Apr 2001, 18:11
I am hoping to finish my ATPL exams soon thank god and will leave work and rattle off the CPL/IR/MCC. I have been looking at the different prices which vary quite a lot. The cheapest is with Wycombe Air Park and the most expensive are Oxford and Cabair. The difference between Wycombe and Cabair is about £5000! Here is my problem: How important is it where you train? Is it true that if you train at a school that deals with the Airlines on a regular/permanent basis like Cabair, that you have a greater chance of being spotted by the Airlines as I am sure there are "eyes" within the system? Or is it total rubbish and that I should save the £5000 and train at Wycombe but run the risk of missing out on the rumoured possibilities as mentioned above? Any advise would be greatly appreciated as it is a fair amount of money and happens to be the cost of an instructors rating! It is a big choice to make but at the end of the day it is really important to get it right.
Thanks all ! ! !

Airbus_319
1st Apr 2001, 19:25
Hi Trainee pilot

I finished my training at Oxford about 6 months ago, and i would have to say that the quality of flying instruction was of a high standard. I feel the most critical part of the training is most probably the conversion onto the twin and the IRT. Oxford have this pool of twin instructors with great experience and knowledge, which perhaps smaller flying schools do not.

The advantage of doing your flying training at a place like Oxford is that as you mentioned, it is used by airlines and they are happy with the quality of student they are getting out.

FLY BY NIGHT
1st Apr 2001, 22:01
Give Cabair a wide birth!!

schooner
2nd Apr 2001, 19:01
FLY BY NIGHT, is a wide birth what you have if your baby is fat :).

cheers

capt beeky
7th Apr 2001, 22:21
Consider all tha schools. The big ones cost a lot extra. Bristol and Tayflight have good reps and charge a lot less.

Thats very ecumenical off me. Scotland to the south. Narrows the options.

[This message has been edited by capt beeky (edited 07 April 2001).]