PDA

View Full Version : Interesting piece about security at US airports

Faire d'income
30th Mar 2003, 04:10
Those of us who have to endue this charade might be interested in this free online update to the excellent bestseller:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/books-films/stupidwhitemen/onlinechapters/part01.php

HotDog
30th Mar 2003, 06:13
Absolute drivel in my opinion. The list of prohibited articles are fairly uniform in worldwide aviation but not every country is influenced by the tobacco lobby. This gentleman sounds a bit like JBS.

Elmer the Monk
30th Mar 2003, 16:51
Disposable lighters - which I assume includes a cheap BIC lighter - are banned on my airline due to their lack of a pressure safety valve. I'm sure this is likely to be the case on all British registered airlines.

The only matches allowed on board are safety matches; "strike anywhere matches" are not allowed on any aircraft registered in the UK.

If they're not considered safe in one country how can they be considered safe anywhere else? None of these measures is a reaction to 9/11.

Elmer the Monk
1st Apr 2003, 07:00
The disposable lighter is a banned item on my airline since it is classed in the dangerous goods category. However, it doesn't set off the metal detector so how do you stop passengers carrying then on board?

Of course there is no reason to have matches, cigs, or lighters on board aircraft these days, but people will still carry these item in their pockets. They are not going to pack them into checked luggage just because they can't use them on board. For smokers, these items are classed as valuable goods, and as such remain in their possesion in much the same way as your car keys, passport or wallet remains in your possesion.

Since the reason disposable lighters are banned from aircraft cabins is a technical one rather than a terrorists one, security teams may not be aware of the ban.