PDA

View Full Version : Thailand

tomjrobertson
29th Mar 2003, 17:52
Does anyone know about job opportunities for expat pilots in Thailand? Past, present or future. Airline, FI, charter.

Thanks in advance

Tom

mikewm
30th Mar 2003, 00:13
I know of an ex Air Canada pilot who is the director of flt ops for a L1011 charter company based out of Bangkok. They will hire foreigners but the pay for captains with time on type and current is $4k / month, with absolutely no benefits. My only question to you is, why? A friend that did consulting work for Bangkok Airways said he didn't see a single foreigner working there as a full time employee, and he thought the same for Thai. Track down the 1011 operation (it should be pretty easy, as hey are probably one of the few operating out of there with that type). If you have troubles, I could probably get him name and number for you. Good luck.

CFIT
30th Mar 2003, 06:55
The company operating the L-1011's is called Orient Thai Airlines (also under the name Kampuchea Airlines). They also have 4 B747-200's. You need to be type rated to get a job there. All their pilots are expats. Other companies having expats flying contracts as captain include : Air Andaman on Fokker F50's, PB Air on EMM145's & Fokker F28's, and Bangkok Airways on ATR72's. All these comapnies are expanding rapidly, so there should be rooms for qualified expats who are typed rated on their equipments. Thai Airways do not have and no longer hire non-Thais because of sufficient numbers of local pilots. Good luck!;)

ZFT
2nd Apr 2003, 18:04
Mikewm

Your friend needs an eye test.

For example - BKP’s Flight Ops Director and VP Maint & Eng are French Canadians and they both work full time. Other foreign ATR pilots also. Not too sure re 717.