PDA

View Full Version : Bad Company

Covenant
29th Mar 2003, 01:57
I have noticed more than one reference to "cowardly" Americans who have stopped flying because of the war.

I would like to suggest that the biggest threat to airlines as a result of the conflict in Iraq comes from those companies who decide to put a moritorium on any international business flights. Business travel is the lifeblood of airlines, or so I am led to believe, and particulalry the lucrative transatlantic routes. To slash into these markets at this time must be a huge blow to the airlines.

Many Americans would, I'm sure, be happy to continue to travel to Europe and elsewhere during and after the conflict, but have been stopped from doing so by their overweening companies, who more than likely have other motives than simply concern for their employees' welfare!

I know of at least one British-based multinational pharmaceutical giant that has implemented such a policy recently (at least for its American employees). Are there any other companies doing the same thing that we would like to name and shame?

FLEXJET
29th Mar 2003, 03:51
So start to name and shame this "Giant Pharma Company"...

FLEXJET

phnuff
29th Mar 2003, 06:57
Um . . . . . has my comment beeen censored in the move ?? I didnt think I had put anything contentious ??

seacue
29th Mar 2003, 12:44
Mine's gone too. I suspect the problem is more related to lingering "collateral" effects of the hack attack than to content.

phnuff
29th Mar 2003, 20:00
Yep, I guess that makes sense. (B*****ds)

My comment was that I know of a software company based in the US who's software is used to schedule the building of military & civilian aircraft have cancelled a client day next weekend because of not wanting their guys to fly during the war which leaves me with a ticket to Baltimore. I was looking for suggestions of how to spend time for 2 days in Baltimore.

This whole cancelling flying thing amuses me, its like they think that after the war, everything will be back to normal. It doesnt seem to have occured to these company execs that the situation we now have post 11/9 may well be the norm from now on.

Ah, for those wonderful pre 11/9 days of innocence

seacue
29th Mar 2003, 21:58
I suggest the aquarium and possibly the 90-minute harbor cruise past many decaying facilities - and some active ones.

Go to Annapolis if you haven't been there. It's an active sailboating center, probably the largest in the US. Maryland's capitol building was serving as the US Capitol at the time the US ratified the peace treaty following the revolution - the newer part is still in use. Main Street is a bit yuppified. There's also the US Naval Academy - but I don't know how they treat non-US visitors now - there used to be no formalities to enter. All of this within 10 minutes walk.

PPRuNe Pop
30th Mar 2003, 14:28
Just to re-assure you. No posts have been moved or deleted from this thread. :)

PPP

Snoopy
30th Mar 2003, 20:51
I work for a joint venture company in Japan. One partner is Swiss, the other Japanese. One of my lads, a Brit, is going back to the UK on business tomorrow.

Last week, the Head of General Affairs (I love these Japanese titles), a gentleman seconded by our Japanese partner, came to me and expressed his concern about this business trip particularly as his company had recently issued an instruction forbidding travel to countries that were supporting the war against Iraq!

I pointed out that I was not prepared to forbid one of my staff members from returning to his (and my) home country.

I also asked, tongue in cheek, whether we would now be moving our offices to the Caribbean considering that Koizumi had also been extremely vocal in his support of GWB. From the pained grimace on his face I could see I had made my point.

The instruction, I was told, was rescinded the following day.

The Japanese are now wildly debating how much money they will donate to the rebuilding of Iraq (also known as the much-needed boost to the US economy) once the fireworks are over..... guilt money? Who am I to judge....

phnuff
2nd Apr 2003, 04:14
Well of to Baltimore tomorrow (via IAD). Thanks to those who sent recommendations.

seacue
7th Apr 2003, 05:37
You have probably returned from "Charm City" by now.

I hope the trips between IAD and Baltimore weren't too bad. You should have mentioned that routing earlier than just hours before your departure. Unless you already had this covered, perhaps a Ppruner in the DC/Balto area could have helped you. I am not aware of a good public transport routing (but then I don't need one).

seacue

Agaricus bisporus
8th Apr 2003, 22:15
A colleague of mine who runs a holiday business has recently had cancellations from American clients as his business is operating "in a was zone".

Where?

Majorca!

seacue
8th Apr 2003, 23:35
I don't think you can imagine the constant pounding the American public now receives of "be prepared for when the terrorists strike", when, not if; "heightened alert, report suspicious activity" on illuminated overhad highway signs; "get potassium iodide pills to protect your children from radiation"; and the like.

TV "news" programs and other media long ago discovered that anguish sells. Politicians too?