PDA

View Full Version : Maya Island Air

rjag
29th Mar 2003, 00:18
Hi,

I was jsut wondering if anyone has an idea what the minimun requirements are for Maya Island Air? Also, I understand they fly Caravans, do they fly one pilot or two pilots?

I was wondering because here in Costa Rica they use 2 pilots for Caravan ops!

Thanks

rjag

mkeelan
31st Mar 2003, 05:43
i believe the min requirements for maya are 750 TT, to be considered for the small aircraft (C182 & C207). direct entry caravan would be over 2000 hours TT with lots of PIC and turbine prefered. they generally don't hire direct into caravans though.

maya now has 7 caravans, and they fly them all single pilot, in a 12 or 13 pax configuration.

JoeCo
2nd Apr 2003, 03:33
mkeelan,

Any chance you might have some good contact info for Maya? I looked on their website many times and only have ever found their general info email address. Of course I used it, but never got a reply. Hopefully, if you are in the area and in the know, you could pass it on. Of course PM is always anm option if you would rather not post it in the open.

Thanks,

Joe

rbaron
6th Apr 2003, 21:33
I believe the CP is still Rene Tam. One of the phone numbers on the site should be able to direct you to the correct one.
Cheers,
rbaron

0tter1
7th Apr 2003, 06:26
JOECO
The email address on the website is correct, you just have to be patient. They will get around to writting a reply, sometimes takes them a while.. As far as I know Rene Tam is still the chief Pilot.. The minimum hour req is 7500tt, that is how many how hours you need to convert to a Belize license. From memory there is also a 6-8 week waiting period for work visa process.
Good luck..

JoeCo
7th Apr 2003, 15:25
rbaron and Otter1,

Thanks for the replies. I'll be sending my resume off once again.

As for the 7500TT to convert to a Belizian licence, I am presuming that is a typo and you meant 750TT. Besides, if i had 7500TT I would hope I'd qualifiy for something a bit faster than a 208. ;-)!!

Cheers,

Joe

BritishGuy
7th May 2003, 03:25
What exactly does one need to do inorder to convert a US FAA licence to a Belizian one?? Or it is a simple application to the Local authorities. By the way I'm talking about a 300hr pilot in question.

Thanks foir any advice on this one.

crack up
7th May 2003, 04:27
BritGuy:
To qualify for a Belize commercial validation you need:
1) a job offer
2) right to work in BZ
3) 750 TT
4) 100 in country
5) or, what BCAD feels like at the time

alki
11th May 2003, 02:40
Mayaisland Air BN2 had an engine failure. Ran out of gas.
Pilot declared an emergency into the international airport and fortunately landed safely. 1 tank was dry, the other had 2 gallons.
5 pax on board.

The pilot apparently didn't know he was out of gas! Thought it was a mechanical failure. Sounds like he's got some serious 'splainin to do to get out a that one.

0tter1
21st May 2003, 21:19
Hey all,
Just wondering how everything in Belize at the moment??
Is there still plenty of tourist movement? I first made contact with Maya Island air about 2 years ago, when I had around 200 hours. Have over 1000 know, and still would love to one day fly over there.. Would love to hear from any past or presant pilots..