PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Wizard XP

comeflymark
28th Mar 2003, 21:52
I recently lost my dial up connection. On checking my network connection's page on the control panel found that all I had remaining was my local area connection (to my laptop).

On trying the new connection wizard, I manage to get as far as the 'how do you want to connect' page only to find that the first two options (connect using a dial up modem and connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password) are 'greyed' out. The only option being connect using a broadband connection that is always on.

I have re-installed my ISDN driver and have checked the device manager to confirm that it is operating properly. I connect to the internet using this computer and checked that option earlier in the wizard procedure.

Also a few months ago, I checked and found that my connection was not firewalled. When I tried to set one up, again the option was not available.

Any suggestions?

LD Max
30th Mar 2003, 06:59
Sounds like connection manager is not running. Could be for any number of reasons, but first off I suggest you re/install XP SP1. If you cannot for any reason, then this link may get you started on the right track. Use the "workaround section" to edit the registry, but BACK UP THE OLD ONE FIRST !

Microsoft knowledge base article: 329441 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329441)

If that doesn't help, go to Control Panel--> Administrative Tools --> Event Viewer. In the left hand panel, click on "System" and look for anything with a red cross beside it. Double click the rogue event and you should get a short description of the error, together with a link to the relevant Microsoft online help.

Also, go to Control Panel--> Administrative Tools --> Services, and scroll down to connection manager to see if it is running. If not, click on "Start Service" and see what error message you get.

Hope this helps