PDA

View Full Version : medical revalidation/renewal

flyingdog
28th Mar 2003, 20:05
Hi guys !
Do you know if there is a difference between a renewal and a revalidation of a JAA first class medical ?
Thanks

Jumbo Liar
29th Mar 2003, 01:12
Answer to that one is simple ! This is yet another example of bureaucracy-speak, intended to create confusion where there was previously calm and understanding !

A RENEWAL is where the medical certificate is replaced by a new one after the previous one has expired.

A REVALIDATION is where the medical certificate has not yet expired. Like the car MoT system, the time difference is not then lost or wasted. A JAR certificate can be REVALIDATED any time within the 45 days (approx 6 weeks) prior to its expiry.

Hope that makes it clear ! ;)

flyingdog
29th Mar 2003, 05:17
yes it makes it clear !
Further than this on the medical test side is the revalidation the same as the renewal ? I mean as I can't renew it before it expires, will I have to do the whole lot again like for the initial ?
Thanks ...

Jumbo Liar
31st Mar 2003, 14:51
You would only need to go back to LGW for another "initial" if you leave your class 1 lapsed for more than about two years.

Lapsing for just a few days or weeks is no problem, so long as you are not exercising class 1 privileges.

From the point of view of what happens at the AME's surgery, a renewal and a revalidation are exactly the same, needless to say with the extras such as ECG and/or audio, if they happen to be due anyway.

Cheers

flyingdog
31st Mar 2003, 17:38
thanks very much for your answer ... no more question this time ;)