PDA

View Full Version : China Airlines

flyingfletch
28th Mar 2003, 18:41
Just wondered if anyone could give info on passenger service quality that China Airlines give? Looking to book a flight to Thailand in a few months and China Airlines are very cheap compared to other competitors.

Not looking to go on a cheapy really! Want the business seats but they are nearly half price to Emirates. Any feedback would be great.

jungly
30th Mar 2003, 09:55
1989 - B737, crashes into a mountainside in Taiwan. 56 killed
1994 - A300, crashes in Nagoya. 264 killed
1998 - A300, crashes whilst landing in Taipei. 197 killed
2002 - B747, disintegrates in mid-air enroute to Hong Kong. 225 killed
2002 - A340, takes off on the taxiway in Alaska. Wheels marks through the snow bank at the end of the taxiway witness to near disaster.

*apparently the cabin service is fine though!

Snoopy
31st Mar 2003, 15:18
China Airlines aren't too bad if you forget the safety record.

I used to fly them regularly to Taipei when their Tokyo flights went out of Haneda (as opposed to Narita). Now they have moved and the travelling distance is the same I prefer flying with either UA or NW. However, the service was always ok without being stellar, and this can be said about the food too.

This being said, one of my buddies once spent a whole flight on the lav after eating a shrimp cocktail. The crew didn't seem too concerned until I started asking if he could have a "fare differential" refund...although I suppose they consider the lav as a "private compartment" comparable with FC! :p

christep
1st Apr 2003, 09:24
You forgot the one in 2000(?) where they flipped an MD-11 on its back at Chek Lap Kok while trying to land in a typhoon. Fortunately only 3 people died but that was thanks very largely to the fact that it was HK and the superb fire crews were on the spot in seconds. Must have been a bit disconcerting trying to exit your seat while hanging from the ceiling...