View Full Version : Gulf Air Flight Attendant

Shani
28th Mar 2003, 17:48
Hi !

What a great website ! :O

Can anyone that is currently employed, or in the process of being employed, by Gulf Air please contact me, I need some insider information and help.

Also:

Some of my friends and myself attended a flight attendant recruitment interview on the 13th of March, here in Durban, South Africa. Most of us made it through the day long workshop and was told that we definetely have the job, and that we would receive letters of appointment within 6-10 days.

We haven't heard another word from them, no letters of appointment, no replies on emails sent and I cannot get through on their phones, the receptionists do not understand me/english and does not know the people I ask for.

Any help ? We're just waiting patiently and we'd like to know whether this is normal procedure and that we will eventually be contacted or is there something wrong here :( ?

Kind Regards,
Shani

galleygirl
30th Mar 2003, 05:51
hi shani,

ive sent to you private message.

galleygirl

Jewel
30th Mar 2003, 06:46
Shani same thing here! Had an interview with Gulf Air in Sydney in January. Made it thru to final stage. They gave the impression i had the job. "We will contact you in the next two weeks to let you know yes or no". Never heard from them!!! :confused: :mad:

Shani
31st Mar 2003, 14:30
Hi !

Thanks so much for your replies...

I guess an airline wouldn't be in much of a hurry to recruit new cabin crew when a war is ahead in their area, so I'll just wait patiently for any form of correspondence from them, and will let you know of any new developments.

Good luck Jewel and thanks for the message Galleygirl.

xxx Shani

Shani
1st Apr 2003, 13:27
Hi !

Just a note to let you know that I have at last received my letter of appointment and contract from Gulf Air ! *huge sigh* Feeling very happy and relieved.

I am really looking forward to going and will probably start training in June... ! yay yay !:O

Any questions just email me : [email protected]

Kind Regards,

Shani
xxxxx

mutt
1st Apr 2003, 15:21
Congratulations.......

Can I ask what are the terms and conditions??

Thanks

Mutt:cool:

Shani
1st Apr 2003, 15:51
Gosh ! There are plenty, more specific...?

Jewel
1st Apr 2003, 16:52
I do not understand! They recruited in Sydney in January and told everyone they would contact them in 2 weeks. Now there are people who had interviews in March who have been notified but still myself and others i kept in contact with from the Syd interviews have not been told a thing! When we contacted them in February they said "we have sent everyone a letter, you will receive one soon". None of this makes sense! But quite frankly i dont think i want to work for an airline who is already stuffing me around!

Shani
1st Apr 2003, 17:35
Hey Jewel...

Gosh ! Well I don't really know what to say about that. Just bear in mind that Sydney was probably one of the first places they recruited and South Africa the very last.... They took a helluva lot of South Africans, I know that for sure, and perhaps they didn't realise that there will be so many good applicants in SA or some of the last places they visited and they can of course only take a certain number of people. I say this because I distinctly remember asking the people at the interview how many places are still available and they told me "none really", but they took our whole bunch.

Keep on trying though, and don't forget to read up on all the wonderful and very useful/truthful tips on what to do/not to do that is available freely on the internet... trust me, it works. Why don't you send in an application for Emirates ? They are recruiting ya know !

Shani

Jewel
2nd Apr 2003, 10:07
Thanx. Yea heading down for an Emirates interview on Saturday. Best of luck to me!

mutt
2nd Apr 2003, 10:59
Shani,

By terms and conditions, I meant salary, per diems, accom and ticket concessions...................

Thanks

Mutt.

Shani
2nd Apr 2003, 13:14
Hi !

Good Luck Jewel !!!

Ok, here goes,

Starting Basic Salary = BD173 / US$458.45 - I couldn't believe it was that low, but you get overtime and also "flight pay" - I don't exactly know how that works, I've spoken to some of the girls that work there already and i've heard salary figures ranging from US$1 000 to US$2 250. Salaries are tax free

Free, Fully furnished shared apartment.

36 days annual leave & free leave ticket

Company medical care

Company transport to and from duty

10% unlimited tickets for one member of your family or "buddy".

10% unlimited tickets for yourself.

P.S. Am I allowed to make this sort of information public ? Just wondering....

mutt
3rd Apr 2003, 21:18
Thanks for that Shani, I was just trying to compare GF's package with SVA's.

I thought that the SVA starting salary of $800 was bad !! The rest is more or less the same.

I hope that you enjoy the Middle East, it can be a great place if you come with an open mind and a sense of humour. :):)

Mutt.

Shani
3rd Apr 2003, 21:53
SVA ?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm a real newbie, which airline is that ?

Shani

mutt
4th Apr 2003, 09:54
Saudi Arabian Airlines...........

Mutt.

Nicos
4th Apr 2003, 14:14
I'm new as well! Are you guys talking pay per month (or week)?

Shani
4th Apr 2003, 14:19
HI Nicos !

New ? What do you do and who are you working or hoping to be working for ?

The BD 173 is Monthly - basic. It excludes all the allowances / benefits and free utilities. It seems terribly low, some people in Bahrain pay their domestic workers more than that, but it is only the basic figure.

tiba
5th Apr 2003, 16:23
hey...yea it does seem low but the truth is you have no outgoings other than money spent on food....so to be fair dats quite a bit o cash in hand......you don pay for rent, electricity, local calls, transport.........so dats a lot taken care of for you.....besides being bang in da middle o da world has its advantages.......you can get to most places in da world under 8 hrs flyin time so you can end up wit a lot more variety of destinations on your time off if you are takin holidays..........:D

mutt
5th Apr 2003, 20:49
Ummmmm, the name Tiba rings a bell........

Welcome to the world of PPrune, but could you please write in English........

Do me a favour and ask the hotel to chill a crate of Guinness for tomorrow morning........ :) :)

Mutt.

peanut pusher
5th Apr 2003, 21:08
...that loads of crew a resigning due to the Gulf conflict and they are going to need many new crew to start training next month.
Last week they had 15 people in one day and an average of 35 per week since Feb. 2003

Good luck, enjoy the experiance

cb9002
6th Apr 2003, 00:41
If you guys think you're getting mucked about by their HR department, go on over to the ATC forum and see how us lot are getting treated by NATS!

tiba
6th Apr 2003, 03:00
oh does it now????? well jus to let you know gods own country does not cater to the more sophisticated tastes of da irish:p ...if i was you i would def take permission from da customs and stock up from duty free..........;) lookin forward to seein ya..........:E

Jewel
6th Apr 2003, 14:16
shani: i went to emirates yesterday. was a big mess! i posted a reply in the 'emirates' bit if u wana read what happened......but i ran into a few people from my Gulf interview in sydney. One girl who was there for an interview :confused: who i remembered the Gulf ones said she got the job wtih Gulf Air! They got back to her 2 weeks after and told her yes. She leaves next week. Dont inderstand why she was at an Emirates interview then but. Anyway i ran into others as well. Some got letters, some didnt! So still remains a mystery.

Shani
7th Apr 2003, 18:05
Hey Jewel, gosh, you're having bad luck all around ! Sorry to hear about it all, I hope you have better luck soon.

I haven't got my tickets yet, still waiting patiently, but I have spoken to some other girls (in Bangkok, Malaysia and in the UK that are also waiting for tickets).

No complaints about the basic salary anymore, it makes a lot more sense now !

Mutt, where are you from ?

Shani

mutt
9th Apr 2003, 03:40
Mutt, where are you from ?

Ireland or Jeddah depending on the mood.........

Tiba, you were correct, Cochin wasnt able to cater for a discerning Irishman....... they never heard of Guinness... :)

Mutt.