PDA

View Full Version : Self Funding ATPL - advice please

BackSeater
31st Mar 2001, 14:19
I am planning on a career change at the age of 30 with a PPL and 100 hrs and intend to self fund my ATPL training and have a few questions - sorry if they have already been asked.
Are there any sponsorship schemes worth pursuing? IT seems most involve me contributing a large proportion of the training costings and will have to pay the rest back over the period of my contract with the sponsoring airline or working for peanuts as a flying instructor. If I can save and self fund am I better of completing the training in a shorter period of time with no tie-ins or repayments to be made? - albeit without the hours I would build up instructing.
If I spend more to train at an expensive but reputable school (Oxford) will I have an advantage over going for a cheaper school?
Would I have realistic employment prospects as a F/O on a regional airline with only 250 hours?
Is there a preferable time of year to complete the ATPL course with regard to airline recruitment timetables?
I would appreciate any comments from anyone with similar experience or anyone on the inside.

Pilch
3rd Apr 2001, 01:40
Backseater - I am in exactly the same position as you with exactly the same questions in my mind.

I have conluded thus far that I may try to do the ATPL/CPL/IR & MCC in 12 months, starting in the summer of this year so that I can co-incide my 'finish' with the peak in airline recruitment in Autumn 2002.

I am constraind by family commitments so I will be doing the ATPL exams using distance learning and using a local school for the CPL/IR/MCC. I hope that by doing it this way I may be considered equivalent (or is that equal) to those who can afford the time and extra £20k to do an integrated course.

The biggest question in my mind is whether as a 250hr newbie I have a realistic chance of securing a decent flying job within a reasonable timeframe. Everybody I have talked to has said that there is no better climate for pilot recruitment than right now - many airlines are expanding their fleets and operations, and guys who have been waiting for a long time are now being snapped up.

I hope this helps a little - feel free to drop me an eMail if you fancy.

Pilch.

Ja
3rd Apr 2001, 01:52
Age 30, 100 hours, 'Self funding', think carefully before comitting the equivelant of a mortage on a nice house and hp on a 3 series BMW for, at best, only remote job prospects

------------------
VNE or nothing

eject
3rd Apr 2001, 03:42
well I'm 40 with 40 hours and I'm prepared to give it a go. Primary motivators are challenge and an interest in flying. Age will obviously be a factor when you are seeking airline work but nothing's impossible. I know someone who started training in late forties and now is 737 FO with UK regional. Having contacts can of course be a help.

EX FTE
3rd Apr 2001, 12:31
Ladies / Gents

Yes indeed this is an age old topic that you are discussing. Have a search through the archives and you will find many many posts by people who have said "stuff it" to the rat race and picked up the dream of a flying job at ages from 30 through to mid forties.

I am in the low 30s bracket and decided about 1 year ago to go-for-it. Its tough not having an income and studying lots. There will no doubt be competition for the jobs but isnt there always a queue for something worth having?

On that point, consider this. Airlines look for many things in their crew. One is the potential to assume command at a later date. Take a 21 year old and a 35 year old. I would venture that the 35year old is an easier case to assess with reagrad to maturity and stability compared to the 21yo. That being so, maybe you might just have an advantage when it comes to the interviews!

Now get off the fence and get on with it!! :-)

foghorn
3rd Apr 2001, 12:50
Pilch and all,

Don't set yourself too aggressive a timescale, particularly with distance learning ATPL theory. Allow a year to complete these.

I am about a year ahead of you - I was in your position last April, now have almost finished distance learning ATPL's and will hopefully have fATPL/IR/MCC by September.

good luck!
foggy.