View Full Version : Safety and privacy warranty on PPrUNE

Qatari515
28th Mar 2003, 15:10
Just a question to the administrators,

after yesterdays hacking , just how secure is this website? What are the possibilities of people finding out identities via IP adresses, logged on people, email adresses etc

Just to be sure now because a lot op people are not too happy with the things being said on this forum. As a matter of fact, AAB ( my CEO has allready mentioned several times that he knows all people on these forums/or that he is trying to find out and that he will fire every single one of them!!!

Just a question....

4HolerPoler
28th Mar 2003, 16:36
I certainly wouldn't advocate risking your career posting inciteful or libellious material concerning your company, specifically from an ISP in a country that has known restrictions or infringements on freedom of speech.

4HP

Qatari515
28th Mar 2003, 19:51
So what you are saying is that, despite your own privacy regulations, you are not capabl e of insuring a fully waterproof system.

Meaning that if somebody would put enough pressure on you guys you would be willilng to give away IP adresses? Correct or not?

Was there allready pressure exersised on the forum from QR?

Nice to know anayhow.....

Hong Kong Layover
28th Mar 2003, 21:40
I have written to 4Holerpoler regarding a problem I faced with double identities,on this forum,which could create an issue on security.

I have not yet recieved an answer/reply regarding the above. ?My PPRuNe mail goes to my home address - I'm on the road until Monday 31. PM me if it's urgent.

How safe is this site really? As safe as it needs to be. As safe as the law allows.

Is Qatar airways really imposing pressure on pprune for information? Today? I don't know. Wouldn't be the first time. Do you honestly think Danny or any of the supermods are just going to give out your IP?

If the answer is yes,....what about the promissed privacy of the PPrune members?especialy those who are currently employed with QR Chill bro. You looking over your shoulder at lot at the mo?

4HolerPoler
28th Mar 2003, 21:41
The CIA, FBI & Department of Defense websites have been hacked into bud. Maybe you feel that your annual subscription fees to this site warrant a greater level of protection than you now feel comfortable with.

The responsible officers of this site will afford you as much protection as is afforded to you by the law. That is a given. If, by legal process a court of law instructs the administrators of a website to release specific information then they would be well advised not to ignore such instructions. You have it on good authority (quote me) that your CEO would never be able to generate the necessary legal grounds for your identity or what details of it we have, to be released.

But if you feel inclined to continue sniping away from your pillbox of anonymity against the chap, I would not be surprised if he became agitated enough to enlist the services of that clever geek in the IT department to try and hack into this site in an effort to reveal your identity.

Remember, all is not always as it seems; especially in countries where national security is held paramount. Be careful what you post.

4HP

leftseatview
29th Mar 2003, 12:00
i dont know about the security concrens,but after the recent disruption,i find that i cant use my old username.
So had to reinvent myself,and more of a bother, had to re-register!
hope this one stays put.
wonder what happened to my old username?(someone in Taiwan should have their butt kicked)
there i feel better now!
regards all