PDA

View Full Version : PPrune down server error??

faheel
28th Mar 2003, 06:21
From what I can see looks like pprune has major sever probs.
Just managed to get on after 2 days but only using a broadband connection:confused:

Hippy
28th Mar 2003, 06:25
From what I can see, you've just discovered that it's been fixed!

Take a chill pill. My only sentiments are that I hope whatever the problem was, It wasn't too expensive and thanks to Danny for getting it back.

Hippy.

moggie
28th Mar 2003, 06:28
I got a "we have been maliciously hacked but will be back" message this evening. looks like they are back!

Heliport
28th Mar 2003, 06:40
See Danny's announcement at the top of the page.

eastern wiseguy
28th Mar 2003, 06:52
Glad to have you back guys!!! hope the police can nail the culprit(s):D

DrSyn
28th Mar 2003, 07:08
Glad to see the site up and running again. Well done Mik and Danny -- we'll all buy you a beer at the next bash (as always). The only thing I've noticed so far is that the PPRuNe Clock has moved to Pakistan. Should we read any significance into this :) ?

Edit at 01:11Z. Ah Ha! No sooner said than done. Good to see the time back where it belongs, on the Greenwich Meridian. And I was about to ask if we should start making early travel arrangements for the next PPRuNe Bash :O

Buster Hyman
28th Mar 2003, 07:11
Now all I have to do is get off the bottle again!!!!

WelshFlyer
28th Mar 2003, 07:49
Ugh!!!!! Know the feeling Danny, when anyone hacks my site, I Hack them back!

It's great to have this site back! Keep up the good work.

maxalt
28th Mar 2003, 09:48
Was this an act of WAR?

Could be....considering the generally right wing nature of the board (and I speak as a Right Winger, so don't ban me please!).

Airbubba
28th Mar 2003, 09:56
Looks like the sort by "Last Post Time" isn't working correctly. I posted on the "UAL on Deathwatch" thread a little while ago and it still appears on the third page of the thread listings.

finfly1
28th Mar 2003, 10:13
Let me add my thanks for your efforts in restoring the site. Yours is the third aviation site to my knowledge to be affected within the past few weeks.

Lost_luggage34
28th Mar 2003, 10:27
So very glad to see the site back online.

Was like having a limb removed without it !!

Evacuate
28th Mar 2003, 11:07
Great to have this site up and running again.:D

I really missed it.Well done to all for the hard work you must have put in over the last few days.:p :O :)

BEagle
28th Mar 2003, 12:58
Grateful thanks to Danny and his team for all the hard effort they put into this website.

It is well acknowledged to be the premium aviation site for news and comment; whoever these hackers are, I hope that they are caught and prosecuted. Soon!

However, realistically there's probably about as much chance of that as there is of stopping spam...............

iainpoll
28th Mar 2003, 13:06
Danny,

The last few days reminded me of the world "PP" (Pre - Prune). It was a lonely, dark place........

Anyway glad to have you back, keep up the good work.

Iain. :ok:

ramsrc
28th Mar 2003, 13:29
Great to see PPRuNe back again. It hasn't been the same for the past couple of days!

Rotten §$%%&? Hackers. They should be condemned to spend the rest of their lives administering OS/2 web servers.

BlueWolf
28th Mar 2003, 13:51
Agree wholeheartedly with all sentiments above. Well done Danny, and welcome back all.

Abbeville
28th Mar 2003, 15:21
Well done Danny boy

Now go and get some kip;)

RFCC
28th Mar 2003, 15:58
Thanks Danny and the team for all your hard work. Great to see that you're back on-line.:D

Sick Squid
28th Mar 2003, 16:04
Finfly, reference your comment that we were the third site to be hacked to your knowledge, could you let us know what were the others? Might be an idea if we compare notes with the webmasters there.

PPRuNe Dispatcher and Danny been working long hard hours here, and appreciate the comments.

Sick Squid
PPRuNe Admin
(not a code monkey, sadly, so useless in tempora belli)

G SXTY
28th Mar 2003, 16:15
Make that another pint at the Gatbash for Mick & Danny. :ok:

I didn't know what to do with myself for the last few days!

ramsrc
28th Mar 2003, 16:54
Sick Squid

Not sure of any specific aviation sites, but it has been a huge problem over the past couple of weeks. I read somewhere that in the 48 hours preceeding the invasion of Iraq around 50 sites were attacked and/or defaced and in the following 24 hours around 1000 were targeted.

There were rumours around the middle of last year that several hacking groups had joined forces and were gearing up for more high-profile attacks. I won't mention the names on-list - but you can get more info from looking at the examples in the following F-Secure article.

F-Secure article (http://www.f-secure.co.uk/virus-info/iraq.shtml)

greatorex
28th Mar 2003, 16:54
It's great to have you back. I've had a few days off and it's been 'orrible without me mates on Pprune ;)

BlueEagle
28th Mar 2003, 17:15
According to the news here in Oz over 20,000 sites world wide have been hacked recently, possibility it is the rabid anti-war crowd doing some of it, wanting to plaster their messages all over other peoples sites.:(

Few Cloudy
28th Mar 2003, 18:03
Thanks for your efforts guys.

rocafellascunk
28th Mar 2003, 18:36
Good to have pprune back! Well done on not letting those bl**dy hackers win.
LONG LIVE PPRUNE!:D

GlueBall
28th Mar 2003, 20:15
ramsc: You had forgotten to include the US government among the hackers' group. Conceivably, outfits like the CIA, NSA and computer literate gurus in the military industrial complex are overly busy right now hacking into Middle Eastern countries' server infrastructures. Obviously Al-Jazeera's website was manipulated too in an attempt to mask the photos of dead US soldiers.

Planting bugs or attacking servers in one region can easily spread viruses into adjacent regions.

Perhaps the attack on Pprune which was said to have originated in Taiwan had originated from the bowels of the National Security Agency, or the FBI? Maybe somebody had said something in a forum which was of a sensitive intelligence nature; or perhaps suspected terrorists could be using the Pprune forums and message services to communicate in code?

Who knows for sure? And what can you do? :(

McD
28th Mar 2003, 21:34
Ramsrc, did you notice on that link you provided that there is even a
"Prune virus" ?? :eek:

Ominous, isn't it? However, (read about it here (http://www.f-secure.co.uk/v-descs/prune.shtml) ), "the specific IP address used by [the] Prune worm belongs to Washington University" ... so, not to worry about it coming from here ;)

(Another funny thing ... one of the images that the worm generates on your computer on the 1st of the month is this (http://www.f-secure.co.uk/virus-info/v-pics/prune2.jpg) . Probably applies to many PPRuNers :p ... but at that point this thread would digress and be banished to Jet Blast.)

Back to the original topic of this thread --

Thanks so much to the PPRuNe admin folks for working so hard to get this situation resolved. :ok:

Onan the Clumsy
28th Mar 2003, 22:09
So very glad to see the site back online.

It was like having a limb removed

Yeah. My right arm. :O

Thanks for all the hard work, it's good to have you back.

Anyone else notice the new smileys?
eek ==> :eek: stick-out-tongue ==> :p roll-eyes ==> :rolleyes: (I think this one has lost a lot of its effect)

Bubbette
28th Mar 2003, 22:21
I wonder if it was a random attack or someone had something against Danny.

Longtimer
28th Mar 2003, 22:35
At my age, I must have my daily dose of PPrunes. :D

Fujiflyer
28th Mar 2003, 22:50
Sorry to learn that the disruption has cost you and your helpers so much time. What a shame that some people get a kick from damaging the good hard work of others. It is even further a shame if it is related to the situation in Iraq (as suggested) as those who contribute here generally show much respect for other cultures and views.

Bubbette, to be fair I think these sad pillocks target the most popular websites which of course PPRuNe is (see the stats thread of a few months ago).

FujiF

timmcat
28th Mar 2003, 23:34
Mik,

Bet you never thought when we were at school together that one day the sanity of the world (well nearly) would be saved by you.

Well done Superman.

Cheers

Tim

PS: Its your turn to e-mail.

zed3
29th Mar 2003, 00:01
Thank YOU Danny.....been suffering , thought I had the problem, went to work and tried to log on, problem confirmed, boy am I glad I have confirmed pruneitis and can let it all hang out again!!!

JW411
29th Mar 2003, 00:18
Well at least the garden got dug at long last!

newarksmells
29th Mar 2003, 04:05
Danny;

I'm not sure what your liability is here. although I'd certainly call for far stricter Firewall controls at your ISP provider, but I'll be happy to send you $100:00 for your time and efforts the past few days. Just let me know where.

Newark

Ranger One
29th Mar 2003, 04:54
ramsrc sez:

Rotten §$%%&? Hackers. They should be condemned to spend the rest of their lives administering OS/2 web servers.

Pick a window pal, you're leaving...

I run an OS/2 web server, and it's the dogs bollocks... you stick it in a corner and turn it on. It does what it says on the tin. No fuss, no drama. For months on end. Best webserver I've ever run... and that includes serious stuff on OS/390 and OS/400.

OS/2 *still* has features M$ can't touch.

Re. the attack, well done Danny and PPRuNE Dispatcher for putting the pieces back together... as for the source... can someone pls check to make *sure* the guvnor doesn't have a laptop in his remand cell....? ;) ;) ;)

R1

J-Heller
29th Mar 2003, 08:58
"Pick a window pal, you're leaving..."

Oh Dear!

Kotare
29th Mar 2003, 16:58
Sites come and sites go.... and I'm not addicted or anything, but d...n its good to have you back!! Well done and we all appreciate you time and efforts.
Cheers

ramsrc
31st Mar 2003, 13:41
Ranger One

Oh Dearie Me... The windows don't even open and I am on the fifth floor. :(

What I said was intended to be a little tongue in cheek, I too run an OS/2 web server (among others).

At the risk of going a little off thread, I would agree that OS/2 has some pretty nifty features, but unfortunately it just cannot keep up when stood alongside many of our other servers. When compared against what it was supposed to compete with (Windoze 3.11/ NT 3) it is streets ahead, but against todays OS's it shows its age.

I don't want to get into a debate over the best OS, but it is quite simple. Unix... Now, where's my crash helmet?!? ;)

(Complaints to /dev/null please...)