PDA

View Full Version : Varig and cabin safety

BeauMan
24th Mar 2003, 23:17
Not sure whether this is the right forum for this, but...

Just returned from SAO to LHR today as self loading cargo on Varig. Now I can appreciate that there's a hell of a lot of work involved in getting us hoi-poloy sat down, settled, calmed, fed, watered, and generally pampered, but last night's flight was, erm, interesting to say the least.

No pre-departure walkthrough to check lap straps were done up and seat backs upright, the pre flight safety brief started at the hold and continued until we reached approx 4000m (according to the screens in the cabin), and there was still a passenger wandering up the aisle as we rotated.

Arrival at LHR today, a walkthrough on the starboard aisle, but not on the left; end result, I had to have a barney with another passenger who refused to put her seat back upright, her argument being 'you're not cabin staff, you can't bl00dy tell me what to do'.

Some colleagues of mine who were on board with me were quite alarmed by the apparent disregard for passenger safety, but another English passenger, who apparently flies to SAO regularly, just grinned at me and said it's normal. Can someone explain to me whether that's actually the case, or were Varig just having an off day? If it's the former, I doubt that we'll be booking with them again.

flyblue
25th Mar 2003, 07:36
BeauMan,

I think this is more of a matter for the SLF Forum, so I'll move it there leaving a redirect in CC if anyone here whished to express a comment.

Groundbased
25th Mar 2003, 11:04
I made four flights with Varig last year and found them to be pretty good. Sounds like might have been an off day. Everybody has em.

Cheers.

In trim
25th Mar 2003, 16:28
Groundbased,

I agree that everybody has an off-day, but when that results in passengers standing up during rotation, blatant lack of checks, and safety briefs being carried out during take-off and climb, that is surely a little more than an "off-day"? To me that is a blatant disregard for basic safety procedures.

In trim.

Bubbette
25th Mar 2003, 16:40
You should file a complaint with the aviation safety authorities.

BeauMan
29th Mar 2003, 08:44
flyblue - thanks, wasn't entirely sure whether I'd posted in the right place or not.

bubbette - Four days after the incident I'm still pretty miffed by it all, so may well take up your suggestion. Problem is, I'm not sure who to take it up with; CAA (as the flight arrived in LHR and I'm a UK resident), or the Brazilian authorities (Varig being the flag carrier)? If it's the latter, does anyone have contact details to hand?

Thanks in advance, sorry to be a pain...

bealine
29th Mar 2003, 14:32
Varig will come under FAA control - but a complaint to the CAA would be referred to the proper authority!

The cabin safety regulations are broadly similar for both regulatory bodies.

GalleyWench
29th Mar 2003, 18:10
BeauMan, Varigs website SHOULD have an email address that you could write a complaint/concern to. It is my understanding that emails are responded to faster than "snail mail". It is disturbing too hear of that flights lack of safety checks, I hope it is an unusual occurrence. We as crew are required to do safety checks after the demo. That is not to say we have never missed a reclined seat or a misstowed bag, but at least a cursory check should be done.

CandyBender
11th Apr 2003, 18:24
I have no idea what Brazilian CAA regs are re the safety briefing, but I do know the French DGAC cabin sfaety rules pretty well & they state that lifejacket demos must be done before the aircraft flies over water, but can be done at any stage of the flight preceding this. Likewise if time is very limited before take off the O2 mask demo can be left until immediately after take off. We did on occasion take advantage of these 2 regs when taxi/slot times were a little tight. Cabin safety regs differ greatly in their detail (in the UK we demo lifejackets on a LGW-MAN wheras in France on a ORY-LYS we didnt), so maybe the Brazilian authorities have a few quirky rules & regs too.......????

No excuse for leaving out the cabin secure checks though......