PDA

View Full Version : Any Alternative to BT??????

squiffers
24th Mar 2003, 09:19
In common with many other Pruners we are in a rural area that does not merit BT ADSL facility at the minute.

With sincere apologies if this has come up before, I would really appreciate any info on any other options to get Broadband. I read about odd satellite thingys and new initiatives from BT, but frankly don't place much trust in them.

Have a family addicted to the net and need access myself for work so also want something that will also permit 2 PCs simultaneous access.

Thanks in advance

Ronbmy
24th Mar 2003, 10:14
Have a look at....

http://sales.ntl.com/index.jsp?cust=ntlhome_intbroadbandtop

and try your postcode. Pot luck really.

If you can get ntl then go to http://www.ntlhome.com/ntl_internet/broadband.asp
and have a look at the costs etc.

Free Installation at the moment.

Once installed get a router - I use US Robotics - 2 minutes to set up then surf all day.

Just remembered another system that has been trialled and is about to roll out.

This involves sending the signal down the mains line.

Look at (the biggest advert they could wish for)...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/articles/power/

This system is causing great concern among a lot of radio people due to the probability of powerful harmonic radiation drowning signals above 30MHz. When your instruments go haywire at FL300 blame Scottish Hydro.

Of even more concern is the Irish plan....

Quote......

Business News in Dublin's Irish Times today, 17 March, announces a nasty St
Patrick's day Plan.
Jamie Smith in 'Pilot projects to test new broadband technology' enthuses on
commercial possibilities of using mains power lines to send internet data by
short-wave radio frequencies on mains power lines, especially to remote and
rural areas, welcoming proposed government support for a pilot in the Republic
of Ireland. Earlier attempts suffered interference to the data from the mains
frequency, but, he seem to imply next try at it will use stronger short-wave
signals.
Soon, splattered all over Ireland's green hills and valleys could be lots of
radio frequency interference not only with local radio users in Ireland but
elsewhere in Europe and US as 'short-wave' signal propagation can be very
widespread indeed.
The IT article says that similar plans are afoot elsewhere in Europe etc.
..Unquote

Forget FM immunity if this comes to fruition.

:mad:

squiffers
25th Mar 2003, 05:12
Many thanks Ronbmy,

NTL is very impressive, and the Scottish Hydro thing is amazing.

Unfortunately neither available for our postcode. I have mailed NTL for more info on any plans to reach us. Their map seems to show where we are. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

jb.murdstone
29th Mar 2003, 00:07
ronbmy

Have you any thoughts on how the use of the mains power lines compares with 'wireless local loop' system that I came across in an Economist article called 'Unfixing fixed wireless' and to be found at http://www.economist.com/science/tq/

Murdstone

Ronbmy
29th Mar 2003, 04:55
JB,

Many thanks for the link - interesting reading.

The Power Line Transmission (PLT) systems could pale into insignificance when measured against WLL.

In spite of the drawbacks PLT does have one major advantage. Accessability. As most of the UK has mains electricity supplied the greater majority of people will have access to an internet service. This is a stated aim of this government.

The WLL system as being rolled out by Soma , in the USA, will require transmitter sites - no problems there - and hardwiring or SUHF data linking to a core facility. Again no problems. And the need to generate profit.

Due to the frequencies in use, 1.8GHz upwards, from a safety aspect this would appear to be the better system with no more interference to aircraft systems than at present.

Users of harmonically related frequency bands may not be so impressed but at these frequencies it is easy to use stripline filtering etc and reduce spurious emmisions to a very low level but I would like to know the units effective radiated power both from the main transmitter sites and the local terminal.

I would like to try one and would, at this time with the limited info available, prefer the WLL to the PLT system. Only time and testing will indicate which one is the better system overall.

One thing the WLL system would need is a good encryption system to prevent unauthorised access to data. It is a pity that a lot of firms currently using a wireless network pay little attention to this.

jb.murdstone
29th Mar 2003, 21:54
ronbmy

Thanks for the explanation - guess it won't help our squiffers, though

murdstone