View Full Version : 101st Airborne command staff attacked

ORAC
22nd Mar 2003, 22:18
Just been a report on CNN that the 101st Airborne Division has suufered a SOF type attack whilst in camp.

Intruders penetrated the camp and attacked the two "leadership tents" with hand grenades before escaping. The report states that there were at least 10 casualties, 6 serious.

T_richard
23rd Mar 2003, 01:01
Aww before anyone starts sharing opinions, expert or otherwise, NBC news reported that the grennade was thrown by a USA enginneering corp solder. NOT confirmed yet.

Attack occured in Kuwait, injuries to 13 solders, MSNBC confirmed that there is one US soldier in custody. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

ORAC
23rd Mar 2003, 05:35
CAMP PENNSYLVANIA, Kuwait (CNN)

A soldier wounded in a grenade attack at a 101st Airborne Division base in Kuwait has died, U.S. Central Command said.

Another soldier attached to the 101st has been detained and is being questioned in connection with the incident early Sunday at one of the division's camps in northern Kuwait, V Corps spokesman Max Blumenfeld said. The attack at Camp Pennsylvania, where soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division are stationed, wounded 12 people -- at least five of them seriously -- U.S. military officials said.

Financial Times correspondent Charles Clover -- who is embedded with the unit -- said he was told by Col. Ben Hodges, a commander of the 1st Brigade, that the soldier lobbed three grenades into the three tents housing commanding officers from the tactical operations center. At least two of the grenades exploded, Hodges told Clover. Two people were wounded by gunfire, Clover said, the others by fragments.

Central Command said two were treated at the scene, and the 11 others were taken by helicopter to Army combat support hospitals in the region. The conditions of the other 10 are unknown. The Army criminal investigation command is probing the incident.

Video obtained by CNN showed the suspect sitting on the ground with his legs in front of him. His head was partially covered by his camouflage jacket, and he appeared to have bloodstains on his leg and his back or arm.

A base spokesman at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, where the 101st is based, said news of the incident upset families at the base was a blow to morale.

Military criminal investigators said the suspect was recently reprimanded for insubordination and was told he would stay behind when his unit left camp for Iraq, Lacey said.

Lacey said he was told by a military commander that the soldier lobbed three grenades into the operations center and yelled, "You're under attack!" A major told Lacey he saw a grenade roll by him before an explosion.

Ed Winchester
23rd Mar 2003, 05:40
Unfortunately one of the soldiers that was a victim of the grenade attack has now died.

Man-on-the-fence
23rd Mar 2003, 07:00
Fox News now reporting that the Soldier in question was a Muslim.

Biggus
23rd Mar 2003, 12:26
Historical note. I seem to remember "fragging" as it was referred to first starting in the Vietnam war. Not my country/war, so perhaps some of our American friends could comment. MY COMMENTS ARE NOT JUDGEMENTAL - OR "HAVING A GO AT ANYONE"! Just an observation on an historical precendent!

Scud-U-Like
23rd Mar 2003, 12:57
This is just as tragic as any other 'blue-on-blue' incident and should not be used by the bigots in this forum, as an excuse to vent their spleen.

SASless
23rd Mar 2003, 13:43
Biggus.....

Discipline afloat was influenced by many factors including the efficiency and rigour of the marines but especially the conduct of the captain and officers. Whilst many vessels carried brutal and ignorant officers able to enforce their will under the Articles of War, others were commanded by officers who exercised skill, compassion and example to seek to gain the best from their crew.

Spithead, April 1797

16 Warships unable to sail to defend against the French fleet.

Not my Navy....but the British Navy calls it "Mutiny". Punishable by hanging as I recall.

Sorry....just had to reply in kind.

Biggus
23rd Mar 2003, 14:28
SASless

I did not think I could make it any plainer that I was not trying to start a cross atlantic "feud" that yourselves and others, on both sides of the pond, have descended to on many previous threads it has been my misfortune to read recently (and I blame BOTH sides equally).

I have nothing but respect for US military forces, and do not subscribe to the "we Brits are best" mentality (WE invented the concentration camp, used biological warfare against native American Indians.... it goes on and on!!). In my youth I read an extremely good book on the war in Vietnam entitled "365 days". It left me with nothing but respect and awe for your soldiers in general and your medics in particular. I do remember that it described the practice of rolling grenades under tents, usually carried out by soldiers trying to kill some of their officers whose leadership was so bad it was in danger of getting everyone killed! This was rare, but apparently happened and was alluded to as "fragging". It struck me the mechanics at least were very similar to the reported incident in Kuwait, and I wondered if anyone else out there could comment.

IT WAS NOT A BASH AT AMERICANS. There is no "kind" to reply too! Oh, and I am sure the chap in question was suffering from mental problems, and am NOT suggesting the officers in question were anything other than fine upstanding examples of the finest in the US!!

Edited for P.S

P.S If you bother to read my comment on "RAF aircraft shot down by US missile" you will see that I do not have a go at the US, but rather point out an example of a UK blue-on-blue which our own people then tried to cover up. Hardly the comments of somebody who has the mentality of "bashing" the US!

As Stan Lee used to say "nuff said"

ORAC
23rd Mar 2003, 22:13
CNN - 23 March:

In Kuwait, a U.S. soldier being questioned in connection with a fatal grenade and small arms attack at a 101st Airborne Division camp was identified Sunday as Sgt. Asan Akbar, according to George Heath, spokesman for the unit's base at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. U.S. military officials said 12 soldiers were wounded in the attack, at least five of them seriously.

The Pentagon identified the soldier killed in the incident as Capt. Christopher Scott Seifert, 27. The names of those wounded have not been released.

.......Military criminal investigators said the suspect was recently reprimanded for insubordination and was told he would stay behind when his unit left camp for Iraq, Time reporter Jim Lacey said.

Bubbette
23rd Mar 2003, 22:21
I heard he's being charged with treason (doh), which carries a death penalty.

Training Risky
24th Mar 2003, 08:56
Am I being dense, or do you think alarm bells should have been ringing in the heads of his officers before they left the USA?

When he changed his name (and possibly his religion too), I for one would have considered taking him off operations!

BlueWolf
24th Mar 2003, 09:07
Scud, I agree with the tragedy of the situation, but strictly speaking, does this count as blue-on-blue given that it was deliberate?
News reports here are suggesting that the individual in question may have been motivated by personal reasons, as he was facing disciplinary action over an undisclosed matter.

Scud-U-Like
24th Mar 2003, 10:12
Whatever. Still tragic.

T_richard
24th Mar 2003, 16:00
TRisky

I hadn't heard that the NCO from the 101st had changed his name, I could have missed it in the press. I am afraid that in this PC state of mind, the US Army would be reluctant to remove anyone from their unit on suspicion of anything.

At the end of the day, it is yet another tragic consequence of the current unrest. May God watch over all of our men

MarkD
24th Mar 2003, 16:56
T-richard

apparently not - I read today one USAF type being asked by superior to report any hassle to him on account of being Muslim so that it could be dealt with.

the very last thing the coalition forces need is a witch hunt