View Full Version : 617

Jack Davidson
22nd Mar 2003, 14:32
Does anyone else find it apt, indeed poignant that 617 squadron went in to action yesterday on the 60th anniversary of the squadron's formation. I'm sure the they did their famous forebear's proud.

Training Risky
22nd Mar 2003, 18:58
It must be the right week for meaningful anniversaries, in a few days we will be celebrating the 85th anniversary of the forming of the RAF! (1st April 1918).

hypersonic hotwings
24th Mar 2003, 21:22
Congrats Saddambusters!!!

Specaircrew
29th Mar 2003, 05:12
And a bit of a shame that in this ridiculously PC world they can't use the dogs name as a formation callsign anymore because it might upset the person that's about to shoot them down on finals!!!

Georgeablelovehowindia
29th Mar 2003, 08:45
I suppose this properly belongs on the History and Nostalgia section, but scheduled for late April is a Channel 4 documentary on the Dambusters, accompanied by a book. Part of it features Ray Grayston who was Les Knight's flight engineer on N for Nan and at age 84 is one of the very few remaining alive of the original 617. Apparently, he has been very reluctant to talk about it up till now, but has been persuaded to 'open up' a little bit. One of the interesting facts he has already divulged is that the Lanc didn't fly at all well with that bomb sticking out. Should make fascinating viewing ... if they show it under the current circumstances.

Specaircrew
30th Mar 2003, 02:21
Yes, having had the pleasure of meeting the chaps when I was serving on the Sqn I can tell you that they have some very interesting stories to tell! (providing you buy them a beer)

Of course the downside of doing my first tour on 617 was that when dear old Barnes popped his clogs it was me they chose to slow march the standard up the aisle at St Pauls, fortunately the royals didn't spot that I was wearing my mess kit trousers! (long story)

Trout99uk
30th Mar 2003, 16:24
I was fortunate enough to meet some of them at Riat last year. 3 of us had to pick them up from there hotel and take them to the base for the arrival of the bobmf.

When we got to the hotel they were not quite ready so were invited in for tea and bickies. One of the old boys came over to sit with us,well to say i was gobsmaked is an understatment. I did not know at the time who they were, but the other two with me did as they were both ex Raf, Both in there 70s.

He had his medals on and i remember the DFC,AFC, plus many others, but i dont recall his name, we were then joined by an american gentleman who turned out to be General Burn who i was told was the co of the 8th airforce in ww2.

They started to talk about the wellington, and compairing it to others they had flown. We then had to depart for the base so i did not get to hear any more which was a shame, i could have sat there all week and just listend to them.

As a driver i have carried some very special cargoes in my time, but non as special as them. It may not seem much to some people but to me it was really something.

Total respect for those Gentlemen. Look forward to seeing the programe.

A Civilian
31st Mar 2003, 04:45
Leonard Cheshire was one of my hero's when I was growing up as a kid. If you ever want to learn about probably the most inspiring man of the last century id recommend reading his biography.

Thx to the hackers for liberating me from my Schrodinger cat box :)

ORAC
31st Mar 2003, 06:24
And for those who asked if they actually had Storm Shadow in service, the answer is yes, and they used it during the attack.

ALI AL SALEM BASE, Kuwait (AFP) Mar 23, 2003.

British Tornado warplanes have dropped new bunker busting missiles named Storm Shadow on key targets in Iraq, senior officers said. The airborne long-range cruise missile was rushed into service early in a classified operation and first indications suggest it worked, piercing reinforced installations used by Iraq's high command and exploding inside.

Tornado GR4 aircrews based at Ali Al Salem, close to the Iraqi border in northern Kuwait, were handed the mission on the 60th anniversary of their squadron's formation to deliver bouncing bombs -- Dambusters -- to breach dams on the Ruhr during World War II. "It was an historic mission for us," said Wing Commander Dave Robertson, 45.

Two of his aircraft came under missile attack and were forced to take evasive action. One was forced to drop its fuel tanks in order to out-manoeuvre a surface to air missile and completed the mission running close to empty.

Storm Shadow, an Anglo-French production, was delivered under cover of darkness to Ali Al Salem and offered to US battle planners. "We were concerned about satellite detection and were determined that no one should know it was here," said Group Captain Simon Dobb, the Royal Air Force detachment commander at Ali Al Salem. "It was not due to enter service until later in the year. 617 Squadron was the lead squadron and had been flying with dummies from their base at RAF Lossiemouth. But it was untried in an operational environment, and was a hearts-in-mouth operation for us because we have never flown with the real thing and had no idea how well it would work," he said.

The missile has been designed and built to a British military specification by Matra BAe Dynamics (UK) Ltd and each missile costs 750,000 pounds. It is conventionally armed and has a navigation system that guides it to specific targets.

Initial battle damage assessment indicated the missiles hit their intended targets with pinpoint accuracy, said Dobb.

Tornados of 617 Squadron took off with a full payload of Storm Shadows on Friday as the massive opening aerial bombardment of Baghdad was beginning.

Even though Storm Shadows can be released 230 kilometres (175 miles) from their target, his flight came under anti-aircraft fire soon after crossing the border. One Tornado, flown by pilot Squadron Leader Noddy Knowles and Navigator Flight Lieutenant Andy Turk, was locked on to by a surface to air missile. In the course of taking evasive action they had to jettison their under-wing fuel tanks. "We were flying to targets north of Baghdad. Storm Shadows are heavy at 1,350 kilos each, and we use more fuel," Dobb said. "Noddy and Andy were fuel critical so we let them go in first to fire their missiles and return home. Then, as we entered our attack run, we too came under missile attack. We were targeted by what I think was an Iraqi SA2 missile." He and his pilot, Squadron Leader Andy Myers, used their on-board counter measures and took evasive action before continuing on to deliver their Storm Shadows.