PDA

View Full Version : What is happening?

kavu
22nd Mar 2003, 01:54
Hi all

After the meeting with the HKAOA and Cathay a while ago, has anything come of it? What is happening with the ban? Any breaking news?

Does anyone have any goss, rumours or the such?

It is very quiet at the moment. Please give us some answers!!!

Cpt. Underpants
22nd Mar 2003, 03:18
It has been agreed by both Cathay Management and the AOA to keep tight-lipped about developments. At the moment, there have only been "talks about talks". Sorry I can't pass on better news. We all want this to end, I assure you.

jungly
22nd Mar 2003, 04:50
Last weeks meeting called off by the company after someone (supposedly AOA sanctioned...but thats not confirmed) spoke out on a local radio station saying some very emotive and quite poorly chosen things about the company and its management style. (True or not, thats not a good way to negotiate 'in good faith')

1 step forward 2 steps backwards. A lot of hard work and swallowed pride, by both parties, scuppered, sadly.

On a different subject: Last weeks advertisement in Flight International resulted in over 700 emailed CVs within the first 24 hours and nearly 1200 in the week, including faxes etc.

Cpt. Underpants
22nd Mar 2003, 05:33
1/2 truths, Jungly.

RTHK (a HKG radio station) called one of the 49'ers (Not an MEC, or a sanctioned spokesman) and asked about the ruling in the UK regarding the eligibility of the terminated person's case to be heard by the courts there.

The gentleman's remarks on "arrogant colonial masters" can be heard here (http://www.rthk.org.hk/rthk/radio3/hongkongtoday/archiveframe.htm?20030313) at about the 12:30 mark. They were not any disclosure of the subject matter of the "talks about talks" nor progress of the talks. They were one man's opinion on a subject close to his heart: He was dismissed without "any reason" after two decades in Cathay, and the ruling in the UK courts IS his business.

This was siezed on by Cathay Management as a reason for yet another delay in finishing this ugly business...one step forward and two steps back...by Cathay.

jtr
22nd Mar 2003, 05:50
The person in question is not an AOA spokesperson, and was not speaking on behalf of the AOA.

Apparently CX management believe ex-employees who have been terminated unfairly are not entitled to an opinion:rolleyes:

shortly
22nd Mar 2003, 09:55
And if you think what old CU and jtr say is reasonable then you have as much chance as them of achieving any semblance of a negotiated settlement. ie zip. I would think that the 49ers have the most to gain out of a consolidated settlement and I think the majority of them understand the need for, at the least, a middle of the road comment when talking to the press. If the AOA managers cannot control the 49ers why on earth would the company want to talk to them at all? Only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole barrel. Or perhaps some folk really don't want a reasonable solution they just want to screw the company and its many thousands of employees as an act of pure selfish spite.

jungly
22nd Mar 2003, 16:01
Capt Pants: Always good to hear both sides! Thanks.
Sadly I havent trusted either side to tell the whole truth or even a half truth for quite sometime.
For some strange reason I had hoped we all might grow up.

Wizofoz
22nd Mar 2003, 22:18
Shorty,

I often agree with you, but this time you are plain wrong.

If the AOA managers cannot control the 49ers why on earth would the company want to talk to them at all?

Why should a 49er or anyone else be "controlled?". Hong Kong may now be part of communist China, but is it your suggestion that people now have no freedom of speach? Or that a union has the right and power to curb a persons legitimate right of expresstion?

Cp managment can't take any critisism with out getting huffy? Sacking someone is a pretty heavy form of critisism, I would have thought a right of reply was a right in ANY society.

shortly
23rd Mar 2003, 06:53
Fair cop Wiz. But from my perspective the time now is probably more critical, therefore sensitive, than any previous in terms of a settlement. Maybe control was the wrong word but surely now would the time to be magnanimous rather than aggressive?

jtr
23rd Mar 2003, 08:40
So tell me Shortly, which part of...The person in question is not an AOA spokesperson, and was not speaking on behalf of the AOA. andApparently CX management believe ex-employees who have been terminated unfairly are not entitled to an opinion

is unreasonable?http://www.rocketsky.net/~mysmilies/cwm/3dlil/uhh.gif

The first bit is a statement of fact, and the second an opinion (reasonable one at that I thought)

Excellent use of the word CONTROL though, can see which part of the camp you come from ;)

Always a pleasure.

Standing by HotDog...

Full_Burner
23rd Mar 2003, 14:09
The reason why the 49'ers should reasonably be controlled is because they are being paid (by the AOA) >>>>

Cpt. Underpants
23rd Mar 2003, 22:44
Burner, WRONG AGAIN

The person interviewed on RTHK has NEVER been a recipient of AOA financial assistance. FACT. From the outset, many of the 49'ers have declined the assistance offered by the AOA and the number has been steadily decreasing to the point where less than half are accepting the package...which incidentally is less than half the pay they received from Cathay.

Next?

shortly
24th Mar 2003, 05:51
Once again my naivety in these matters seems apparent. Are you suggesting that the person in question acted sensibly? Are you implying that there is no link between the 49ers and the AOA? Cannot you even, for one moment, stand back a bit and look at matters from a company perspective? The gentleman in question was at the least naive himself or at the worst cleverly manipulative - or maybe somewhere in between. Ye Gods we were back at the table wasn't that enough? The popular press had clearly annunciated the 'victory' of the AOA in the Labour Tribunal. Wasn't that good enough for the individual? No it obviously was not and so on we go. Pathetic isn't it.

jtr
24th Mar 2003, 06:07
Finally shortly, you make a point we can all agree on!

Once again my naivety in these matters seems apparent. :}

HotDog
24th Mar 2003, 08:51
One thing certainly hasn't changed since my retirement. Stirring the pot is still a favourite passtime in CX.

kavu
24th Mar 2003, 09:16
Okay guys

Getting back to the matter at hand...... remember I'm asking the question of what is happening!!!!

So after their talks and they're not saying much, when is there going to be any news of the matter?

Are more talks needed?

Yes I saw the ad in Flight International. So quite a few people saw it as well. Do they know what is happening then?

So let the AOA and management talk. I'm glad that they can get around to talking. You can't solve a dispute by not talking.... can you!

Cheers guys/gals