PDA

View Full Version : Simple question, How do I clear my cach???

BRL
21st Mar 2003, 15:14
Got a bit of a mind block at the moment and can't remember how to clear the old cache. A reminder needed please.... :)

Running winXP.....

Cornish Jack
21st Mar 2003, 20:47
Using the 'Classic' file view in Windows Explorer, C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content IE5, select each directory and delete. That just clears the space, so if you want to REALLY get rid of it, you will need some sort of shredder programme. As I have mentioned in another thread, I use Steganos - won't keep the professionals out but suitable for basic use.

flyingwysiwyg
22nd Mar 2003, 11:54
Or simply when using Internet Explorer, go to

TOOLS > INTERNET OPTIONS

and click on the DELETE FILES button under the Temporary Internet Files option.

F-wyg

Edit: Forgot to say that using my way will leave your cookies in tact, which is obviously useful for the old forum browsing. If you want to get rid of your cookies as well use the method in the above post.

A-V-8R
22nd Mar 2003, 12:40
Microsoft Windows keeps a lot of "hidden files" on your computer outside of the cache.

Boot to DOS, type dir /p ah and view them. They are not visible when Windows has been started.

Unlike the Cache which can be erased, these files can't.

These files keep a copy of every URL you have ever visited, a copy of every Outlook message, and the name of every file that was ever on your computer.

I reccommend Window Washer:

http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/windowwasher/index.php

More on these hidden files at:

http://www.nethole.com/articles/01/08/07/1442243.shtml

noblues
23rd Mar 2003, 19:31
I too would recommend Webroots Window Washer ....

Its the only item of 'freeware' software that after the 28 day trail I purchased (around £12).

An excellent package, it will even clean up cahes for all your other programs if you download the free 'custom wash items' from a huge database of programs on their website.

Windows deposites so much 'crud' on your PC, I was worried about things like my banking passwords being sotred on my hard disc etc .... This will use US military approved overwrite techniques so that nothing can be recovered from your disc .... the amount of wasted space from caches and log files gets silly after a while .... and letters and passwords etc are being stored unknowingly ....

Window Washer is a very neat, simple, one press utility ......
Their are many reviews online about these type of utilities but this seemed to come out tops in all reviews .....

Cant go wrong for £12 .....