PDA

View Full Version : Which school?

Desk-pilot
30th Mar 2001, 01:44
As a wannabee pilot since BA froze pilot recruitment in 1992 when I was waiting to go for final selection I've finally decided to go for it and pay for my own ATPL. I am now 32.

I have no prior flight training except a few hours of pleasure/trial flights and am aware that the top three UK schools seem to be:

Oxford
Cabair
SFT

The prices of these seem to vary quite a bit with Oxford being by far the most expensive. I'd really appreciate some advice from those who have/are training at any of these on how you feel they compare in terms of quality, value and employment prospects. Obviously as for many of you cost is an issue.

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Capt Wannabe
30th Mar 2001, 13:58
Don't forget good ole BAE Systems :)

------------------
CW

Harves
30th Mar 2001, 15:05
I second that, if going abroad is not a problem, then you must at least consider it.

Check it out at www.baesystems.es (http://www.baesystems.es)

Desk-pilot
31st Mar 2001, 11:32
Many thanks - I will check them out, however as I'm married training abroad may not be an option!

Why are OAT so much more expensive than the others?

Funky Munky
1st Apr 2001, 17:51
Can't answer your question about why OAT are more expensive, all I can say is that I trained at Cabair and was very happy with the training I recd, both through the ground school and the flying, and from my experince there I would recommend them, bear in mind I was there in 1995. As far as getting that all important first job I don't think there's much difference, some airlines have preferences, but as long as your expectations aren't too high I don't think you should base your choice on which school reckons it has contacts with various airlines, because they all know each other.

Hope this helps, if it was my choice again I'd go for the cheapest, as long as it's the CAA Approved training it's the same licence at the end of it all.

Good luck.