PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada to cut 3600 jobs

admiral ackbar
21st Mar 2003, 13:22
Article here (http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030320.wairc/BNStory/Business)

Let's see, AC used to own 65+% of their fleet a couple of years ago, been steadily going to 3% today, mostly done in order to pay off their debt (taking over Canadian and fighting off Onex takeover attempt was expensive)

So no more planes to sell, yet 300-600 million/year in debt payments due for the next few years...

Things aren't looking so good for Mapleflot. :(

middlepath
21st Mar 2003, 15:13
what the f..k is wrong with these north american airlines? one after the other going down. Is it poor management, high operating cost or just selling seats below operating cost ? there has to be some one able to fix all this nonsense. It has never been so bad as now in aviation. could any one shed light.

Wino
21st Mar 2003, 17:45
What you are seeing is the effects of genuine competition.
Just wait, the Ryanair/easy jet effect hasn't really hit yet.

Trust me, it aint gonna be pretty over their either.

Cheers
Wino

plane tired
21st Mar 2003, 20:03
Air Canada's problem is their unions. The employees think they are still working for a crown corporation and are entitled to employment till retirement. I haven't met such a group of lazy miserable sob's in my aviation career. Good riddence

JPT

PaperTiger
21st Mar 2003, 20:10
Air Canada's problem is their unions. Possibly, although the first 3000 layoffs are not unionized positions.

AOG-YYZ
21st Mar 2003, 20:35
Not so 'plane tired', as a "Canadian" employee taken over by Big Red I was shocked (when I bid with an AC ramp crew) at the amount of work they have to perform per shift. When handed the block for the shift by the lead I thought he was joking. Example On my last day of work: 'A' cycle 1300-2100 We got our first break at 1950 but still had a Rapidair 19 Bus to turn before home time. Inbound delayed (airport) outbound delayed 12 minutes (so no delay). Wash-up and change, ride to parking lot exited parking lot 2156. Still only paid from 1300 to 2100.

I was a Ontario WorldAir, Worldway then Wardair employee consumed by PWA/Canadian and never had to work as hard with any of those companies as I did for "Big Red'. The Ramp Rats at YYZ earn their money.
I took early retirement on Feb 1st, last. So plane-tired; You haven't a clue what your talking about so take your lies and venom elsewhere please.:mad:

I'm sure your "aviation career" would be very soon terminated If you came out in the open.

spongebob_bm
21st Mar 2003, 20:49
One problem I see is the inability of the large airlines to adjust to a rapidly changing world. By the time the changes have gone through all the levels of management, surprise! we are in BIG trouble. Lets cut routes and staff. Oh yes cut the service that makes money and put on a aircraft totaly unsuited for the route then we have an even bigger disaster.
Call to book a flight, oversold.... (traveling non rev, hell I use the compition at least I can get on their flight.)
A321 is a great aircraft accept it holds roughly the same cargo capacity of a A320, factor in more passengers and weight load balances oh and weather. You guessed it, bags and cargo left behind to add to the over all cost of the airlines profits (Staff over time, lost luggage chits, taxis to deliver luggage and frayed passengers who then deal with surley agents {YYZ} )
What next, hell I can fly on budget airlines for 1/4 the fare and less headaches.
Oh yes but budget airlines do not fly to the big expensive airports with it's traffic jams, high hotel and car parking and car rental rates
:)

PaperTiger
21st Mar 2003, 22:06
Canadian LCCs fly to the same 'big' airports in Canada as AC. They fly to smaller airports as well - you know the ones AC pulled their jets out of.

plane tired
22nd Mar 2003, 11:57
AOG YYZ you actually had to work for what you were paid to do, cry me river . I know first hand what work is done on yyz ramp by the ramp rats and it is not very much. Read the other Canadian airline forums and you will find that your ex-fellow employees agree with what I said. I am sorry the truth is not very nice but it is reality. The ramp isn't the only department . As for my aviation career being terminated if my identity was known , that is the benefit of these forums" opinion without persecution " so enjoy your time off you earned it:confused: