PDA

View Full Version : Enormous Pushchairs

bealine
21st Mar 2003, 10:47
You've all seen them, and some of you with littl'uns probably own them - these 3 wheeled monster trucks with spoked wheels that are currently trendy around Sloane Square and up the King's Road!

Sturdy they may be, but they're extremely heavy, bulky, awkward and are completely airline unfriendly! Indeed, all joking apart, there have been a few injuries caused to the loaders who have tried to be helpful and manhandle one of these monstrosities up the vertical ladder of the jetway to the aircraft door!

Following an accident last week where a passenger was injured (by a late running passenger with one of these 3X3 vehicles), one airline has already taken steps to refuse these things access beyond check-in and they must be collected at the arrivals hall.

I mention this in order to be helpful. You can be prepared by buying a small buggy before travel - the little collapsable travel ones do fit in the overhead and are quite cheap, or alternatively, buy yourself a sling from John Lewis!

Result - Everyone Wins!

:D

tiger burn
21st Mar 2003, 12:24
You've got a point. I travel alot with my baby & quickly decided that the only way to survive the whole airport/ ac experience was to buy a rucksack & put mini me in that. No more dodging people's legs & luggage, ma or pa is hands free & junior gets a great view. Happy travelling!

tb

PAXboy
23rd Mar 2003, 12:03
(I am not a parent)
When departing T4 earlier this month, as I was waiting on the bus to be shipped off to a distant outpost of the Raj (aka Stand Victor) I saw a 767 being pushed back and a chap picking up two push chairs (not the 3x3) from the bottom of the late bag drop 'helter-skelter' and putting them into his van and driving off. Could only conclude that they were delivered to the wrong machine, or did not make it in time for despatch.

Ten days later ... at JFK, already boarded and waiting for push. I see ANOTHER pair of push chairs being picked up off the late bag drop and loaded into a company van!

Hint: Don't take your baby's push chair with you but check it in at the start! It might be a pain not to have it airside whilst waiting but a lot worse not to have it land side at arrivals! Especially, if you hagve just done, say, 14 hours to HKG. :eek: