PDA

View Full Version : Converting CASA (Australian) licences to JAR....

ChazP
29th Mar 2001, 22:06
I have just been sent an email from a British School warning:

"...If you are a British citizen and intend to eventually convert to a JAA
Licence, then you should be extremely careful about undertaking an
Australian CASA Licence, as it is not recognised by the UKCAA, and
conversion terms are very lengthy and costly. At the completion of a
CPL/IR/ Frozen ATPL course, it is likely that the UKCAA would credit you
with a PPL only, therefore requiring you to complete the entire modular
route for the issue of a JAA Licence. You should contact the UKCAA for more
information about this matter..."

This disagrees entirely with what I have heard from several pilots training in Ozzy and NZ - I think I will get more info seeking ppruners' opinions than the UKCAA, so please reply....whatever your thoughts...

Thanks.

ChazP
30th Mar 2001, 02:17
....Please...anyone?

TooHotToFly
30th Mar 2001, 02:40
Hi there.

If you use the search function you will find quite a few threads relating to this topic. However here are the basics.

In order to convert your non-UK CPL/IR with ATPL exam credits to a JAR one issued by the CAA you need to do the following:

Sit the ATPL exams. Despite what some ground school places may tell you there is no need to sit the full course - it is at the training providers discretion. However in order to pass the JAA ATPL's you will probably need to do a fair bit of study anyway.

Pass the JAR CPL skill test. There are no minimum training requirements, once again it is at the training providers discretion. Sit the test in a multi-engined aircraft and you are also granted an MEP class rating.

Do the approved IR course. There is no dispensation for holding a foreign IR. In your case it would be a 50 hour course.

Pass the JAR class 1 medical. Slightly going off subject but can anyone tell me why you must pass the medical in the state where you do your training. I thought that was the whole point of JAR, to eradicate differences in licensing standards across Europe.

Basically you're looking at at least £15,000 to convert your licence.

Hope that helps.

Lee Harris
30th Mar 2001, 03:39
ChazP

Thanks for posting this message I am trying to find the same info but for a heli CPL. If you find out any more info could you post it here or mail me?

TooHotToFly

Thanks for the reply. If you know could you tell me the requirements to convert a CASA CPL(H) to a JAA license.

Many Thanks

Lee

ChazP
30th Mar 2001, 04:44
Too Hot to Fly,

Thankyou very much for your posting. You might not realise how much you've helped me. A lot now depends whether I want to head down to begin a flying career in Australia, or pursue on in the UK / Europe....Do you have any thoughts on this?

I am really quite keen on Australia, despite having met many Ozzy pilots who think I am crazy - (UK is perceived as having plently of good positions available).

Last post was very helpful. Thanks.

TooHotToFly
30th Mar 2001, 12:29
Just to edit something on my previous post, if you do the ATPL exams, I think you do have to do an approved groundschool course if you are converting your CPL/IR to a JAR CPL/IR. Bit irrelevant though as you're going to need some study anyway.

Lee - I think that converting a CPL/IR (H) is almost identical to converting your CPL/IR (A).

As for whether it's worth it, it's quite a task now to convert to a JAA licence so probably best avoided if possible.

knighty
3rd Apr 2001, 14:49
I have also had concerns about training in Aussie and the worry of eventually having to convert to JAA.
I have posted a few threads myself and people have offered all sorts of advice. At the end of the day flying is flying!! Get your CPL/IR and gain all the experience you can out here in Oz. The conversion will cost you around 15,000 pounds plus the extra study or course. Add it to the cost of gaining your CPL/MEIR over here in Oz ($35,000) and with the exchange rate at 2.8, that is a steal!!
I'll probably get slated for this but I say 'bollocks and go for it!'
All the best and good luck!
Help me OB1... your my only hope

redsnail
3rd Apr 2001, 15:32
What you may want to factor into the equations is the 500 hours 2 crew that the JAA need to convert your "frozen" ATPL to an unthawed one. Also, if you look around the CAA SRG's website (I have forgotten the URL) you will see that the 500 hours 2 crew will help immensely in other areas such as the IR.
I am over here about to start the JAA ATPL theory. One thing I have definitely found out is that if a "foreigner" comes here with no turbine time then the grass is not greener compared to Oz. They tend to employ the locals and fair enough too.
If you have an ICAO ATPL with 500 hours the medical at Gatwick will "only" cost £189. Logbook assessments can be done via the website too. Although I have not seen it yet.
Hope this helps.

Tricka
4th Apr 2001, 14:02
Chaz

If you can stick it out in Oz and try to gain a job flying regionals. A number of european based operators have recuited from Oz in the past and will pay your conversion costs.

Deadleg
7th Apr 2001, 02:32
I'll try & help. Came here 3 years ago with Aus ATPL Dash 8 experience & 2800hr total(I think approx).
I had to do everything except morse in the theory & for flying I had to do Training to standard & test in the GFT(Aus CPL equivilent)& CPL/IR.
UK CAA don't make it easy for you but they are fair in that they tell whats required & don't shift the goal posts.
Difficult move & definitely expensive!

TooHotToFly
7th Apr 2001, 23:06
... except when they do move the goalposts like making you complete an approved IR course without any prior warning.

Charlie Foxtrot India
8th Apr 2001, 06:57
The motives of this school that emailed you are pretty obvious. As THTF says, it's really no more of a drama than it ever was!

cyco
10th Apr 2001, 01:59
With regard to the approved IR training course. I think it is crazy that I will have to go back to the beginning and start the training all over when I have been instructing IR downunda for the last 4 years with hundreds of Instrument hours under my belt, but it counts for naught.

Oh well all is fare in love and war.