PDA

View Full Version : cost of club class amenity pack ??

MartinFogg
20th Mar 2003, 21:40
Hello ,

Last month I made the annual visit from the UK to see family in Australia.

This time I decided to push the boat out and flew Golden Club class with MAS and was very happy with the whole trip.

One thing puzzled me tho' .

The charming cabin staff handed out the free amenity packs as though we were getting the Crown Jewels and I noticed that the trolley/container seemed to have instructions on it that packs must be accounted for and any unissued returned to bonded stores.

As they contained not a lot more than the free toiletries you get with a decent hotel room plus a sleeping mask & socks etc I wondered what they cost to produce.

Does anyone know what the average pack cost ?

Do some airlines spend more than others ?

Thanks for any imput

Martin

cabinkitten
20th Mar 2003, 22:07
I don't know about the club packs but I do know our first class ones come in at around the £80 mark...woe betide any cabin crew found 'sampling' the contents...

bealine
21st Mar 2003, 07:34
Yes indeed! BA is being "conned" by suppliers!

Carriers in the US receive their amenity kits almost free of charge - all they pay for is the wash bag to wrap it all up in, the comb (if any), eye shades and socks! Why?

Because, on a European trip, if a traveller has used "Brand X" toothpaste or "Brand Y" shaving foam on his/her flight over, he/she will recognise it when they have to buy a tube in the local chemist!

I'm sure if our teams were to approach Colgate Palmolive etc in the right way, we'd obtain similar deals - instead BA prefers to go down the "designer" route!

Call_Belle
21st Mar 2003, 11:46
The reason behind the BA decision might be to differentiate its on-board product from the other airlines. They might want the amenity packs to contain brands not available in every chemist/supermarket as a way to make the high yield pax feel as tho they are getting something different for their money. Having seen the First and Club amenity packs, cant imagine how either would cost anything in the region of 80 quid.....

Unwell_Raptor
21st Mar 2003, 12:08
Some time ago a young aircraft cleaner helped himself to some unopened First Class packs that had been thrown into the skip, as pax often leave them behind, and it is not policy to reissue them. His car was spot checked, he was arrested and charged with theft, lost his job, and got a criminal record as well. The value quoted then was, I think, about £10.

I felt a bit sorry for him.

Ozzy
21st Mar 2003, 12:47
Given that many of these packs are simply discarded by passengers. Been there done that meself.

Why not drop the pack and drop the price. It's not just the
cost of the pack itself but the time and effort it takes to
coordinate with vendors, design time, planning effort etc etc...

Ticket prices could be reduced....

knobbygb
22nd Mar 2003, 15:10
But who'd really notice an £80 reduction on a typical BA first ticket costing, say, £2500 each way?

I noticed on a recent trip in first that the packs were offered to passengers as an option, rather than just placed on the seats. May be a chage of policy or just that particular crew operating differently. Anyway, I noticed that only 2 or 3 or the 12 pax in first actually accepted the pack.

I always accept - being a bloke I don't believe in buying 'cosmetics', but I admit to quite enjoying them when they're free - especially decent brands.

DuncanF
23rd Mar 2003, 05:28
The trouble with designer brands, as I found out to my cost one morning, is that the contents are easy to confuse. Woke up bleary eyed from an overnight from Bahrain in BA First with only 20 minutes to run. Dashed to the loo with the kit to brush my teeth and put the odd taste of the toothpaste down to it being some new fangled concotion only available in Knightsbridge. Turned out to be the shaving cream ... :-(

Duncan

PAXboy
23rd Mar 2003, 12:40
DuncanF, what can one say? "Was it better than the food?" ;)

I have not travelled BA Club in 12 years, so cannot comment. On VS, the packs are more of the designer stuff too. I guess they feel that they are in competition with BA. They change the pouch every five years or so and the contents more often.

But they keep costs down (I presume) by using 'Virgin Vie' cosmetics and pongs and lotions. I dare say that they pay something but not a full wholesale price as it is constant advertising for V.Vie.

Last month, the toothpaste was Colgate as it has been for a while and dare say that those mini-tubes are free. I still have a mini-electric shaver (in my desk) that I got from VS in the late 80s and it works! In those days, VS had separate packs for men and women.

On VS, they are not on the seats but distributed by the senior cabin person or CSD (or whatever they call them on VS!) as a way to meet the pax and ask if there is any particular question that they have.

As to the theft thing, I can see that they have no option but to prevent it, otherwise it becomes open house. What they (all) need to think about is how to use the ones that are not taken away by pax. When people see perfectly good things thrown away, it does not promote a sense that the company is trying to save costs. I *know* that the packs have been budgeted for but chucking them is not clever.

For myself, I always take the packs away as they make such good gifts. Those that don't travel in the front enjoy having them and using the bits. My lady/sister/mother have found the products useful and always like to have them.

Some of my family and friends are still using the pouches five years later for various duties. I have a VS bag from some years ago that works to hold any medication and plasters, as a mini first aid pack. My Aunt used one of the early red VS bags as a mini handbag when she didn't want to carry lots of stuff!

The latest red pouch now contains cables and connectors for my laptop. :cool:

Tinstaafl
23rd Mar 2003, 16:21
I have a BA pouch that's a great short trip toiletry bag. Wish I could get more of them for other things eg laptop connectors etc

Boss Raptor
23rd Mar 2003, 22:58
My estimated cost/value of most business and first class hand outs I have seen are around $10 max. - mostly small quantities of 'tester' sized fragrancies etc. which are give away in most department stores and hotels - only things i have seen of any value are the odd special edition momento etc. like the KLM delft houses which are hardly more than single figure items!

Only ones that are memorable recently have been the BMI business class pack, ordinary contents nothing special but very useful and well designed good sized roll up pack with a hook to hang it in the bathroom...nice...and a BA business class pack with a BOAC Hermes on the top, but again contents far from special...

As an example I had an Air France pack which had a small bottle of a Hermes cologne, which was the same as a tester I had been given at a duty free shop and based on the full size bottle price was worth about $3...the toothbrushes and toothpaste seem to be poor quality across all the airlines and the remaining contents, emery boards, bedsocks, eyeshade, mouthwash, pen etc. etc. hardly seem expensive...

PAXboy
24th Mar 2003, 20:43
Tinstaafl ... not sure if you are bewailing your fate to ride in the back or begging for left overs?? :=

knobbygb
25th Mar 2003, 08:58
So what about the sleep-suits? Anyone sad enough to admit that they keep them and use them at home?

Not the best quality, tend to come apart at the seams after 5 or 6 trips through the laundry, but I never get round to buying stuff like that, so very useful over the winter months.

I'd say they'd cost about £3 or £4 off a market stall - so BA probably pay £20 or so ;)

Tinstaafl
29th Mar 2003, 20:38
Just waiting for another upgrade or two to fall in my lap so I can grab another pack! :p

Tee
30th Mar 2003, 02:36
It was years ago, so maybe things have changed...........the BA zipped pouch was of an impressive standard (and is still in use), but the contents were a baffling mixture and included paper knickers which definitely weren't designer wear!!

PAXboy
30th Mar 2003, 03:46
Forgot about the sleep suits. I do keep them - but not as sleep suits!! I never wear pyjamas but use the suits to slop around the house in comfort. As you say, they fall apart but well worth keeping them. They are another gift that friends think is fun!

This week, I gave the contents of my last VS Upper bag to a lady and was told that, although most of the contents was simply 'neat' the bath and cosmetic products were from an upmarket house and she was suitably impressed. I'm such a bloke that I now cannot remember what the company was.
:confused:

The_Banking_Scot
30th Mar 2003, 18:36
Hi PAXboy,

The new VS Upper Class amenity kit is from space.nk

Their webiste is ;
http://www.spacenk.co.uk/

I also keep the VS sleep suits( i have 2 or three pairs now) for the colder nights up here in Scotland ( I do like them)

Regards

TBS

PAXboy
30th Mar 2003, 20:07
Thanks TBS! Off to see if I can impress the lady ... :rolleyes:

I have been in Ecosse in December and January but only in your neck of the woods, only going further north in mid year. I shall be right up to Cape Wrath for the the solar eclipse on 31st May. Cloud permitting ... That's good old EZY from LTN to EDI as per usual, then driving up with a friend.

Ten Minutes Later ...
Having checked the retail prices of Space.nk then I can say that the give away is good value!! The specific pack is not available, of course, but a similar pouch is on offer.

The VS one is red but there is a black make-up pouch that is selling for £14 and that is empty! :eek: :eek:

I'm going to have to think of another way to impress her! :}

MarkD
31st Mar 2003, 16:49
I got one on my last flight [BA J upgrade ex YYZ] but am keeping it for my next cattle flight in two weeks which is when you really need the boost :D

PAXboy
3rd Apr 2003, 01:20
When I moved house last year, I turned out my drawer full of left overs from airlines and hotels. Some of them came from carriers I have only used once, so I was able to remember the exact flight. (Very sad and worrying, I know).

After 14 years, there was a lot of junk to clear out and I was surprised at how many folding toothbrushes and cheap eye-shades I had! :rolleyes:

nick24
16th Apr 2003, 20:20
I can't remember the last time I actually bought soap, shampoo or conditioner due to the number of nights I tend to stay away from home in hotels. I try to stay at Hilton whenever I can and have plenty of 'own brand' items. Staying at some of their London hotels and the Calledonian in Edinburgh, they offer Moulton Brown goodies instead. MB was the brand used in BA amenity packs a couple of years ago, and consisted of (I think) toothbrush/paste, shower gel, shampoo, eye patches in a MB pouch. Lately, when I have travelled BA Club, the MB pouch has been replaced by a blue bag with no logos hinting at the contents. I think, however, that it's still MB inside. I've got about 5 of them in my bathroom, 3 of them unopened as I haven't used up my hotel stash yet!

I seem to remember on both occasions the cabin crew handing out the packs individually, as the contents were biased towards men or women.

My next BA flight is on BA0001 to head to north America for Canada Day and Independence Day. I look forward to seeing what I get on this trip!

PAXboy
17th Apr 2003, 02:44
Nick 24: The VS bags used to be gender specific in the early days but now are the same, although biased towards teh female on my last trip. Probably reckoning that blokes will want to pass them on to women folk to score 'brownie' points. True! :p

BA0001? Yep, my written confirmation arrived today for 8th August. But of course, if the amentify pouch is no good - I might as well cancel ... :)

FormerFlyer
17th Apr 2003, 05:57
I was on the same flight last August - and SHOCK HORROR - no amenty pack or gift items at all. :eek:

I thought we'd been singled out due to using BA Miles to get the flights but nobody else got anything, so beware you may have to take your own pamshoo etc on your jollies.

cheers ;)
FF

nick24
17th Apr 2003, 17:53
Thanks for the tip, FF! Fortunately, I will be staying at the Waldorf Astoria for a couple of nights before heading north, and from past experience (and looking around my bathroom) they do great shampoo!

For any ladies reading this thread, contrary to what you might be thinking, yes, I do wash my hair!

PAXboy
18th Apr 2003, 03:48
Whaaaaaat? Dreadful. Does this mean that, I'll have to take my own Wash n' Go when I use the whirlpool bath on Concorde?

interestedparty
7th May 2003, 23:36
Amused to note that on Miami - Vienna about 7 years ago the amenity bag, actually a money belt, also contained a condom. Well they did have cute CC - the girls anyway!

Jetdriver
8th May 2003, 01:42
Actually on the BA001 you will get a stationary pack which is perhaps a little ironic at mach 2.

It isn't very exciting but it has a silver biro in it. :cool:

christep
9th May 2003, 16:50
Only for those of you who don't know the difference between "stationary" and "stationery".

Just an other number
9th May 2003, 19:22
'stationary'?
Is this a reference to the CX fleet?

PAXboy
9th May 2003, 19:52
No. Conc in six months. :( :{ :sad:

Jetdriver
9th May 2003, 21:15
I see the irony wasn't lost on you then christep ? :rolleyes: