PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp

Dublinflyer
29th Mar 2001, 15:34
Anyone know a good place in the US that runs a boot camp for the PPL? Trying to do it in Ireland can be expensive and diffcult with our wonderful weather.

Lard Beast
30th Mar 2001, 12:54
Tried South Africa? Good weather, situation here not as bad as some would have you believe and prices good (COL lower than in USA). Email me on [email protected] for more info. Good luck mate.

CaptainCrunch
30th Mar 2001, 14:37
Lardbeast and Dublin Flyer.

I'm off to SA in July for six weeks to take a PPL course after sending off emails to the US schools and not having much luck (frankly, most replies were less than useless). I've found a school called FTC-SA and the replies they've sent me are wonderful! (No I don't have any connection!) If you're interested I can forward you the details but basically with the SA Rand so low it's cheap for Brits and Irish students to go there (I'm a Brit but I'm working in Germany so the costs will be higher but it does still equate happily to the USD. The costs for the course (all in with a medical, books, baggage class flight to SA et ceterae) is around 4,000 GBP so it's extremely good value.
If you need anything I'm at:
[email protected]

Yours Aye,

Cap'n Crunch

herniair
1st Apr 2001, 05:30
Nice advert. but the rand is so low because it is getting 'exciting' and increasingly crap down there. Why didn't you or they mention that?
Also, the cost isn't cheaper than PPL packages in U.S.
P.S. It's even cheaper and more exciting in Zimbabwe.

TipTop
1st Apr 2001, 09:26
In reply to your message; European Flight Training (EFT) in Ft. Pierce, Florida.

www.europeanflighttraining.com (http://www.europeanflighttraining.com)

They are fully approved for Modular CPL/IR(A)

inyoni
2nd Apr 2001, 00:17
Dublin Flyer
It depends what kind of PPL you are looking for JAA or FAA. Most of those offering JAA/CAA PPL's in Florida I wouldn't touch with a barge-pole. If you;re happy with a FAA PPL there are loads of good US schools who are not sausage factories for foreigners.
CaptainCrunch - again the same applies, there are no JAA approved PPL schools in SA. Once you have the SA PPL you will find it exceedingly difficult to get a medical renewal in Europe and very expensive if you can. Also there are very few EU based SA Instructors to do your renewals! However there are plenty of FAA approved AME's in the EU and UK and plenty of FAA licensed Instructors who do your BFR's.
So think carefully before either of you make the wrong decision!

CaptainCrunch
2nd Apr 2001, 11:13
Inyoni et al,
Thanks very much for your post on PPRuNe although now I've gone from total certainty to utter confusion and should be a happy chappy again if you could explain the acronyms from your mail:
Dublin Flyer
It depends what kind of PPL you are looking for JAA or FAA. Most of those offering JAA/CAA PPL's in Florida I wouldn't touch with a barge-pole. If you're happy with a FAA PPL there are loads of good US schools who are not sausage factories for foreigners.
CaptainCrunch - again the same applies, there are no JAA approved PPL schools in SA. Once you have the SA PPL you will find it exceedingly difficult to get a medical renewal in Europe and very expensive if you can. Also there are very few EU based SA Instructors to do your renewals! However there are plenty of FAA approved AME's in the EU and UK and plenty of FAA licensed Instructors who do your BFR's.
So think carefully before either of you make the wrong decision!
Now, I do (sort of) understand that the types of licenses have been changed in the interests of greater international understanding, world peace and hemp trousers however the fallout is that I don't understand the system myself! So: the JAA is the new "world wide valid" license. Is that right? This means that if I do a PPL in SA then I'm only qualified in SA and not in the US or, more importantly, in the UK. This is why the FAA in Florida is only valid in Florida. Why would you not go near the JAA schools in Florida? If I have a license from SA do I really need a South African to come to the UK to renew my license? Seems unusual.
Below is a reply from one of the SA schools to these questions:
a. If you returned to the UK with a SA ICAO PPL you would immediately enjoy those privileges entitled to JAR or UK PPL holders.
b. The JAR PPL in June/July/August 2001 will be restricted to FTC Midrand only, however once you have the SA PPL from FTC George you could pop into FTC Midrand for a day on your way home and after a 2 hr check ride & flight test you could be signed off by a JAR examiner which would entitle you to a JAR Ticket.
Any light you could shed on this would be wonderful since I'm approaching meltdown wondering who to trust with my hard earned dosh!

Thank you,

Cap'n Crunch
(Richard Robertson, Cologne)

PS. No idea what a BFR is and I've devoured tons of magazines and Trevor Thom books!